- steel truss
- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Postby Nawty » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:46 am

Can....just waiting for little more progress of the pool to put some pics up.
Nawty

Postby jazzman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Nawty,

Probably progress pics at any stage of the progress would be of interest, particularly anthything showing an unusual roof design, a roof truss and any rebar for load bearing floors or walls - these are the hot topics.

Yes, Jazzzman likes tiles, but so do all Europeans. There are no houses in Western Europe that do not use them. (With the exception of Sweden and Norway). Buildings which use any other kind of covering are usually utility buildings of some sort rather than private dwellings. That is probably why Jazznan is biased. To use any other material in Europe would look very odd indeed and evoke in the European mind a sense of "low cost solution".

Jazzman has in fact seen many houses in Oz with these other coverings, so many in fact that they are part of the picture and therefore don't stand out as odd.

Nevertheless, here in Thailand Colorbond and the composite corrugated panels are in fact no cheaper than tiles. Their advantage is a slight reduction in the cost of the roof truss to support them. There may be some very contemporary house designs which would not shock - Frank Lloyd Wright would get away with it - with the material blending in with the overall aesthetics.
`
A house in a densly built up area would have fewer people noticing the roof too. But probably most people would agree that a boring, seen-one-seen-them-all house like Jazzman's might not look so attractive if it had a roof of smooth steel, shingle, corrugated tin or colorbond.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Nawty » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:06 pm

agree, your style of house would not suit that style of roof, but mine does and I think it looks great. All styles need their own design to match.

In fact in Oz you can go to the new trendy areas of cities and see the corrugated iron sheets used on walls, fences, featureson houses and inside also, done right it looks very good.

I will do pics soon, broke my hand today so not in the mood now as well as disadvantaged
Nawty

Pics

Postby udon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:35 am

"I will do pics soon, broke my hand today so not in the mood now as well as disadvantaged"

Promises.... promises! :lol:
udon

Roof insulation

Postby nickcar » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Guys,

I have heard that the sprayed on foam onto the ceiling is very good but a bit expensive. Heard that it has the advantage of fixing the tiles (reducing risk of thieves entering that way). I read that after insulation together with a thermostat controlled fan the users house was very very much cooler.

Anybody got any ideas about this?

Thanks
Nick
nickcar

Postby rigpig.sparky » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Now now children.....I would expect this on Thaivisa.com, not here.

Anyway I may be a bit biased (Aussie too) but I like the color bond Idea too and have been considering it. It's light weight and durable and I imagine cost effective. Rain noise isn't too much of a drama and I would insulate anyway so that should improve things. I have never had a close up of how they install tile in Thailand but being an electrician I would think they would be easier to break into than a iron roof that is screwed down (assuming they use a similar technique as in Aus), I know I always prefered them , easier to lift the tiles than crawl through a hot roof space ! I also want to include large patio's / verandah's, for the obvious benefits. So was the original post about the legality of over hangs, is there a problem with that, if so what, I would like to know. I just thought Thais didn't do it because of the wasted living space, but now I think of it my Gf's parents have a huge back verandah and their roof is corrugated iron, so what is the issue ? In fact I think a plain corrugated iron roof if used right could look the part on the right dwelling (I am also considering using stone instead of concrete blocks). My Gf commented to her mother that she thought all the houses in Aus were suay, so....
rigpig.sparky

Postby rigpig.sparky » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Yes I think that venting the roof space with a high pitch roof can be very advantageous. The old colonial style houses did it in Aus, before A/C's were around and it made a big difference. The problem with modern houses over there is they don't pitch the roof enough, because of the cost and the heat "forces" it's way into your living space, so you end up insulating to try to prevent it. You can also get (not sure about Thailand) a sivalation paper (sort of reinforced al foil) with a fiber glass wool insulation fixed too it. The paper reflects the heat and the glass fiber wool creates a barrier and air gap. Also you can buy a roof vent that has a set of veins that create a fan and the heat rising turns it and pulls the heat out, no power costs !!!
rigpig.sparky

Postby thaifly » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:00 pm

rigpig.sparky wrote:Yes I think that venting the roof space with a high pitch roof can be very advantageous. The old colonial style houses did it in Aus, before A/C's were around and it made a big difference. The problem with modern houses over there is they don't pitch the roof enough, because of the cost and the heat "forces" it's way into your living space, so you end up insulating to try to prevent it. You can also get (not sure about Thailand) a sivalation paper (sort of reinforced al foil) with a fiber glass wool insulation fixed too it. The paper reflects the heat and the glass fiber wool creates a barrier and air gap. Also you can buy a roof vent that has a set of veins that create a fan and the heat rising turns it and pulls the heat out, no power costs !!!
gidday rigpig sparky its THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM.... whilst having a sticky beak a t the resort that is being built directly behind me i noticed that they have been using a foil with a very wafer thin of foam attached to it ...only wished i had done the same was my comment...as it would have to be a help and i would say it would nt cost a arm or a leg ...ITS A TERRIFIC GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAI FLY MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby rigpig.sparky » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Thaifly, thats interesting I will keep an eye out for it when the time is right, sounds like the deal. Do you know where to buy it ? Can you find out ? or is it available from Home Pro ? One other thing which I am not clear about is it appears the reflective foil works even if you have the "shiny side" down and of course that would prevent any dust problems. So maybe the stuff you have seen installed, with an air gap between the iron, (which is what I will be using) but the foam side up may be the go. I personally think that a high pitched roof done this way with high vents on either side and vents in the soffit combined with insulation on the ceiling itself (batts or pump in) to keep the temperature inside the living area should do the trick nicely. Better over do it now and can always get the pump in insulation done after the event anyway. But thanks for that, my house will be a one off retirement deal so forward planning now is the go...
Tony
rigpig.sparky

Postby thaifly » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:19 pm

rigpig.sparky wrote:Hi Thaifly, thats interesting I will keep an eye out for it when the time is right, sounds like the deal. Do you know where to buy it ? Can you find out ? or is it available from Home Pro ? One other thing which I am not clear about is it appears the reflective foil works even if you have the "shiny side" down and of course that would prevent any dust problems. So maybe the stuff you have seen installed, with an air gap between the iron, (which is what I will be using) but the foam side up may be the go. I personally think that a high pitched roof done this way with high vents on either side and vents in the soffit combined with insulation on the ceiling itself (batts or pump in) to keep the temperature inside the living area should do the trick nicely. Better over do it now and can always get the pump in insulation done after the event anyway. But thanks for that, my house will be a one off retirement deal so forward planning now is the go...
Tony
GIDDAY RIGPIG SPARKY..its the thai fly from mae rim ...i am not building technical savvy to say the least.. on whats the best ways to cool a house..but this looked a good idea...the foam was clipped to the foil annd was face down....maybe u buy the foam and foil seperatly and put it together your self... MAYBE DOZER OR THE GREAT JAZZMAN....OR ANY C.T.H ....MEMBER .. can help on what i saw...and at the same time RIGPIG.....i will check out SPA C/MAI RESORT.. for u .......ITS A BLOODY HOT GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:07 pm

thaifly wrote:
rigpig.sparky wrote:Hi Thaifly, thats interesting I will keep an eye out for it when the time is right, sounds like the deal. Do you know where to buy it ? Can you find out ? or is it available from Home Pro ? One other thing which I am not clear about is it appears the reflective foil works even if you have the "shiny side" down and of course that would prevent any dust problems. So maybe the stuff you have seen installed, with an air gap between the iron, (which is what I will be using) but the foam side up may be the go. I personally think that a high pitched roof done this way with high vents on either side and vents in the soffit combined with insulation on the ceiling itself (batts or pump in) to keep the temperature inside the living area should do the trick nicely. Better over do it now and can always get the pump in insulation done after the event anyway. But thanks for that, my house will be a one off retirement deal so forward planning now is the go...
Tony
GIDDAY RIGPIG SPARKY..its the thai fly from mae rim ...i am not building technical savvy to say the least.. on whats the best ways to cool a house..but this looked a good idea...the foam was clipped to the foil annd was face down....maybe u buy the foam and foil seperatly and put it together your self... MAYBE DOZER OR THE GREAT JAZZMAN....OR ANY C.T.H ....MEMBER .. can help on what i saw...and at the same time RIGPIG.....i will check out SPA C/MAI RESORT.. for u .......ITS A BLOODY HOT GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
....gidday rigpig sparky...its the thaifly from mae rim....no luck at SPA C/MAI...hoping to bump the owner or one of his architects...at sometime i will be able to do that...and i will get the answers on this matter but when that is another question....on site at the SPA C/MAI... its that hot the birds are dropping out of the sky . ITS A SUUPER GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM WHO HAS A IMMEDIATE APPOINTMENT WITH DOCTOR HEINKEN.....
thaifly

Venting

Postby TC » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:08 pm

We are planning a high-pitched roof on a traditional style wood house up north. Plan to only have one big room so air flow isn't interrupted. Vent both ends of the roof and have lots of windows set very low to the floor so the air flows in at our level and up into the ceiling cavity to vent out. We will also have balconies running 2 sides of the house under wide eaves. Trees on a 3rd side, yet to deal with the 4th side, probably more plants. Was in a similar place visting during Songkran and even on a still day with no wind the house was comfortably cooler than outside temps. No electricity in our area so we have to rely on passive solar designs to keep cool at this stage.
TC

Postby thaifly » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:17 pm

thaifly wrote:
thaifly wrote:
Tony
....gidday rigpig sparky...its the thaifly from mae rim....no luck at SPA C/MAI...hoping to bump the owner or one of his architects...at sometime i will be able to do that...and i will get the answers on this matter but when that is another question....on site at the SPA C/MAI... its that hot the birds are dropping out of the sky . ITS A SUUPER GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM WHO HAS A IMMEDIATE APPOINTMENT WITH DOCTOR HEINKEN.....
gidday rigpig sparky...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAERIM .........HAD SOME LUCK AT SPA C/MAI TO MORNING....saw the foil foam being installed in one of their houses being built it is screwed on to the roof beams...then backed another winner ..the project manager arrived and said it can be purchased at HOMEMART AND HOMEPRO..OR ANY GOOD MATERIALS SHOP....IT IS BOUGHT IN ROLLS... so there we go ITS A MARVELLOUS GIDDAY TO ALL .... its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby udon » Thu May 08, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi ThaiFly.

Where are you? :lol:
udon

Postby thaifly » Mon May 12, 2008 4:34 am

udon wrote:Hi ThaiFly.

Where are you? :lol:
GIDDAY UDON.....its the thaifly from mae rim.....who has arrived in COOLONGGATTA...GOLD COAST..LAST FRIDAY.... after spending 5 days at COOLUM BEACH.....will be at cooly until next sunday then onto C/MAI...with my BRAINS CLEANED OUT with the best REDS AVAILABLE all prepared to go into BATTLE again...and yes TO THE GREAT JAZZMAN the lamb cutlets are superb......and congrats to C.T.H member KEN. ON man untd e.p.l victory.... udon do u need any help?????? only to happy to help.....its A COOLONGATTA GIDDAY TO ALL its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

PreviousNext

Return to roofing