- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Roof Insulation, Eaves and Colorbond

Postby udon » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:35 pm

[To attract more visits, the topic name has been edited by the moderator ]

Hi, I've not seen any pics of houses in LoS featuring up to 3m deep eaves and 2m wide verandahs.
They keep the sun off the walls and windows and lower aircon bills.
Any pics please? :)
udon

wide eves

Postby dozer » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:34 pm

Yes, normally the houses built here have the eves restricted to 1 meter. I think it does sound like a good idea to incorporate more expansive eves in the house design. This would help comensate for one of the most basic and fundamental oversight of a number of houses here -- an inadequate outdoor patio area - which should be 3 meters square or more.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby udon » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:33 pm

Dozer...Sorry for slow response....

Are you saying that I couldn't have a 2m wide verandah all around with 3m eaves?

What about a house on 3m steel piers, is that possible or restricted to a certain height?

Thanks.
udon

Postby the limey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:59 pm

You have the problem of weight the further you go out with your roof, to go out 3 meters you would need some real big steel in there, most people wont go for the short term extra expense, don't forget all the contractors are quoting to get the job, if the job suddenly changes for the roof to extend another 2 meters the customer generally wont believe the price quoted as it would quite likely double his roofing cost, That's when they start fitting those crappy alloy roofing extensions, sad world :(
the limey

Verandahs & wide eaves

Postby udon » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:14 pm

G'day Limey,

The verandah is surrounded by a safety "fence" and the eaves are supported by uprights every 2.5m to 3m, so the overhang is only 1m.

I'm referring to Colorbond..... not tiles.

It's standard practice in Qld and the Northern Territory and encouraged by the Aus State & Federal gov'ts.

There's a mountain of info about building in the Tropics at http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhome/t ... /index.htm

I was surprised at how good a gov't site could be :D
udon

Re: Verandahs & wide eaves

Postby the limey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:46 pm

udon wrote:G'day Limey,

The verandah is surrounded by a safety "fence" and the eaves are supported by uprights every 2.5m to 3m, so the overhang is only 1m.

I'm referring to Colorbond..... not tiles.

It's standard practice in Qld and the Northern Territory and encouraged by the Aus State & Federal gov'ts.

There's a mountain of info about building in the Tropics at http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhome/t ... /index.htm

I was surprised at how good a gov't site could be :D

I really can't remember a house built in Thailand using colorbond, I have never seen one in my 15 odd years here, I think the Thais would consider the roof of a house done in colorbond as just a shack or something the pigs could live in, It just isn't accepted here, well apart from high roofed factories, also the noise level would be horrendous during rain storms, Yes you could tell Thais to fit insulation but are they going to take notice of you? they save money on the steel work but then have to pay extra on insulation, naaa it aint gonna sell here :)
the limey

Postby the limey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:48 pm

Also most houses are broken into here through the roof, think about that one....
the limey

Postby udon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:09 am

Limey,

I really don't [edited]

I wonder why Colorbond spent millions of $'s building a new factory in Thailand... No research?

The basic design and (basic) product have been around for over 150 years, so who's to argue with that?

The design of farang houses I've seen so far, certainly don't look practical in a hot and humid tropical climate.

Please show me one that has the walls and windows shaded with a light colored roof.

I rented a beautiful 4 b/r house in BKK which was owned and designed by a Yank architect.

It had a flat roof and was crescent shaped, BUT, no insulation, anywhere.

It was poorly oriented and the interior walls were still warm at midnight....

My aircon bill was more than my rent, no thanks, I'll stick to an Aussie design that works.

It may not win any awards for being suay, but it works, and I want to live in it until I leave this planet.

Limey, I think you should get out more & do a bit of reseach before condemming house designs that are outside your ltd experience.

Now, maybe I can get an answer to my questions from Dozer. :D

Rant over....

Thank you.
udon

Postby the limey » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:48 am

edited

udon, you asked on an open forum you [edited]

Clay tiles have been used for thousands of years, that puts colorbond in the shade a bit doesn't it with there mere 100 odd years of experiance.
the limey

Postby udon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:59 am

I asked dozer 2 questions, what is it about a question addressed to someone directly by nameing them that you fail to understand.?

By name calling it's obvious that you are of very limited intelligence.

In 15 years in Thailand it would appear that you have learned very little about how to conduct yourself in/on a public forum.

I love an informed discussion but you have made it clear that you not particularly well informed on the subject I raised.

Have a nice day, Richard :)
udon

Re: Verandahs and Eaves

Postby the limey » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:19 am

udon wrote:Hi, I've not seen any pics of houses in LoS featuring up to 3m deep eaves and 2m wide verandahs.
They keep the sun off the walls and windows and lower aircon bills.
Any pics please? :)

Your first post, no mention of asking anyone in that is there.....
the limey

Postby udon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:27 am

Correct!

And if no one has any that's fine. Ok?.

I only asked for pics, but you missed that fact.

Your ignorant response was not invited.

Now, go back to playing with your Lego.

Have fun. :wink:

PS 140+ posts, LOL
udon

Postby the limey » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:33 am

So ok we agree that your a liar and make things up as stated here.

I asked dozer 2 questions, what is it about a question addressed to someone directly by nameing them that you fail to understand.?

I told you that Thais do not use colorbond for roofing of houses, now prove me wrong.
the limey

Postby udon » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:37 am

Please,
go away and play with your Lego or whatever it is you're playing with, and stop bothering me.

I'll let the reader decide who's what. :D

End of discussion, or are you too ignorant to comprehend that fact.....?

PS you obviously don't comprehend the word "basic" in the context it was used. Bye
Last edited by udon on Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
udon

Postby the limey » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:51 am

I wonder why Colorbond spent millions of $'s building a new factory in Thailand... No research?

The basic design and (basic) product have been around for over 150 years, so who's to argue with that?

just thought i would keep this one just in case you want to change your post fokwitt.
the limey

Next

Return to roofing