- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: metal roofing and reflective foil

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:31 am

schuimpge wrote:Can't imagine why PU would have a negative on a roof like that.
The earlier mentioned break in won't be possible anymore, though god forbid you have someone trying it...damage would be unbelievable..

Colorbond roofing comes with PE foam they make in the factory and is bonded to the zincalume at the factory. PU is sprayed on in situ and can be very messy and in some cases a bit hit and miss. PE foam can be made to measure in formwork and is therefore easier to handle and easier to bond in a factory environment. The Colorbond sheets arrive with PE foam already bonded to it. The thickness of the PE foam is "up to you": When I bought mine I went with what the manufacturer recommended.
If someone does break in through the roof and foam insulation (they'd be a real basket case to even try) it's just a matter of lifting the sheet and replacing it with another clip lock sheet.
The difference between clip lock and bolted sheets is in the steel beams that are required. Clip lock is far simpler to attach.
Roger Ramjet

Postby thisisit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:12 pm

@RR

Awesome RR thanks a lot! So it will be boltless :)

I read your fantastic building story and still reside in Nonthaburi right now. Any chance to get a tour of your place? I bring beer too! hehe

@Luc

No details. I just spoke to them via email. They are pretty slow to respond and in broken English. Its a bit like talking to a kid, sometimes they just write sentences from their iPhones and whatever. Anyway, wife and me will stop by there in the coming weeks and if I know why I ll post it here. I guess its like fred said. They just dont supply it.
thisisit

Postby Smithson » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:39 am

I used to be a plumber and have done a heap of roofing. I think that colorbond/zincalume is a more logical choice, but don't see it being used that often. There seems to be bias here towards tiles based on personal taste. How do they compare pricewise, taking into account everything, including foundations? If used in straight sections, rather than hip and gable, building is cheaper and faster. By using a high roof you can get away with less, or even no, insulation.

I've been quoted B120 for zincalume at .33mm and B300 for colorbond. Considering the difference, what are the benefits of going with colorbond?

The diagram below shows the kind of thing I'm talking about, designed correctly you could have second story bedrooms, they may be a little hotter in the day, but cool quickly at night.
Attachments
desert-modern-eco-house1.jpg
Smithson

Postby henrypeet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 pm

I had a good roofers back in Manchester
henrypeet

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:32 am

I haven't worked out the difference in cost ,Tiles vis Colourbond, as a roof covering ,but the you would have to take into account the much lighter roof structure itself using Colourbond as the weight of tiles is quite substantial per sqmt. There are far more Colourbond roofs now on new houses than tiles than before here in Oz, that's apart from all the commercial buildings that use nothing else. Rolls of Foil blankets of various thicknesses are the norm as well where insulation and noise reduction is required. There are several profiles from the normal corrugated (Which are screw fixed) to the Cliploc panel type which have hidden fixtures, there are at least 3 thicknesses going up in price obviously. Personal preference would be the main criterion when choosing what roof though ,also the colour I would think.
Mike Judd

Postby thailazer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 am

Smithson wrote:I used to be a plumber and have done a heap of roofing. I think that colorbond/zincalume is a more logical choice, but don't see it being used that often. There seems to be bias here towards tiles based on personal taste. How do they compare pricewise, taking into account everything, including foundations? If used in straight sections, rather than hip and gable, building is cheaper and faster. By using a high roof you can get away with less, or even no, insulation.

I've been quoted B120 for zincalume at .33mm and B300 for colorbond. Considering the difference, what are the benefits of going with colorbond?

The diagram below shows the kind of thing I'm talking about, designed correctly you could have second story bedrooms, they may be a little hotter in the day, but cool quickly at night.

Smithson... That is essentially what we did on our house. The upstairs bedrooms have a drywall ceiling, and above there is open space to the steel roof with foam insulation. Stays very cool as no sun ever hits the living part of the house.

Others that have done this have had a large problem with birds nesting in the open space, but we have had no issues. Some nights, we see a big owl sitting up there or in a nearby tree so I think he polices the area for us!
thailazer

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 pm

I have just installed a !flat roof! with metal roofing it has PE foam glued on at the factory which worked very well at stopping both heat and sound from rain the owner wanted f,glass wool so we strung chicken wire between the roof supports and laid 100mm f/glass wool blanket leaving a small void between the roof and the wool it works beyond belief at stopping everything in the way of rain noise and heat the ceilings will be at most a meter below at worst 100mm because of the roof slope and vents will be installed at the higher end to allow air movement
The client decided against colourbond and cliplock because of the high cost deciding to go with locally made stuff and screws given the roof is 7 meters from the ground and the house has a large balcony its more likely a door or window would be forces rather than the roof to gain entry so cctv and alarm will be fitted

Having used this and seen how effective & simple to use I would not hesitate to do the same again on my own property only time will tell how long lasting the stuff is but I suspect it will outlast my usefulness :( :(
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:55 am

geordie wrote:I have just installed a !flat roof! with metal roofing it has PE foam glued on at the factory which worked very well at stopping both heat and sound from rain the owner wanted f,glass wool so we strung chicken wire between the roof supports and laid 100mm f/glass wool blanket leaving a small void between the roof and the wool it works beyond belief at stopping everything in the way of rain noise and heat the ceilings will be at most a meter below at worst 100mm because of the roof slope and vents will be installed at the higher end to allow air movement
The client decided against colourbond and cliplock because of the high cost deciding to go with locally made stuff and screws given the roof is 7 meters from the ground and the house has a large balcony its more likely a door or window would be forces rather than the roof to gain entry so cctv and alarm will be fitted

Having used this and seen how effective & simple to use I would not hesitate to do the same again on my own property only time will tell how long lasting the stuff is but I suspect it will outlast my usefulness :( :(

Do you have any pics of that? It sounds interesting.

SWBMO's of the opinion that the locally made stuff's glued on foam is likely to start to come off in a few years and has shown me examples of that, so may be your method will make that no problem.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby geordie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 pm

I suppose as with anything quality can be an issue but they used a glue a bit like evo stick from the smell applied with a spray gun the about six - eight people moved the foam into place
Nothing could be simpler than the chicken wire
A rough description was wall plates were 6x4 x 3.2 mm box metal also a couple of extra beams were run front to back to avoid flexing as well as several from side to side
This gave us a flat frame of 6" depth it was simple enough after that 4x2 x3.2 cross members were welded into place @ 1meter spacings to screw the roof sheets to
The roof has a 1 meter fall over twenty four meters and being l shaped is 7 meters at its narrowest 10 meters at its widest
so the rear roof section was 11.5 x 10 meters the front was 7.5 x 14.5 so the rear roof sections came as single sheets
On reflection it would have been more sensible to reduce all sheets to 8 meters long after that they are difficult to manhandle
onto the roof (7) meters up as well as transporting them there in the first place just before the sheets were screwed down we wired (with tie wire for rebar) chicken wire across the bottom of the 4 x 2 bearers and laid the fiberglass wool on it the fiberglass wool was 100 mm supposedly so should have been tight on the roof sheets but between the lack of 100mm and slight sagging of the wool there is a slight airgap above
The f/glass also has a reflective foil under it (on it) so a bit of overkill all around really but phenominal how quiet although we still have large openings awaiting patio doors for the extra costs definitely worth while doing it most importantly it allows heat to penetrate out through the ceilings rather than create hot boxes
Although I make occasional comments on this build I feel a bit guilty as it is for a guy as a favour (I am being paid ) I will do a write up on it when I have the time and do have lots of photo,s but I take my hat off to the guys who have the time to sit down evenings and post I am too tired but I do spend 12 hours a day on this and having started with Burmese labour :( :( Then changed to ghosts ?? casuals that wait at the side of the road daily for work (very expensive ) sometimes you actually get a really good worker but rarely they all impress on first day then slow down and get sloppy after a few days ??
So its now over to Thai farmers who will do their best which some days is just not good enough but the biggest problem is getting them to follow instructions to the letter as is human nature they will try and find an easier (for them ) way of doing things
This in fact resulted in an accident where a worker almost lost his life he survived minus a few teeth a broken jaw and broken wrist recovery time is probably a couple of months for the physical injuries a lot longer for the mental trauma
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby oil » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:09 pm

does anybody still have those documents / pdf lying around, cause its gone from their website
oil

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

oil wrote:

does anybody still have those documents / pdf lying around, cause its gone from their website

It's still there
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Get a good roof paint. WHITE.. And paint the roof. I did that on the backside and it cut my electric bill instantly by 500 baht. Cost me about 5000 baht for paint and work.
schuimpge

Postby Ians » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Are saying you painted the underside of the roof white?
Ians

Postby schuimpge » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Ians wrote:Are saying you painted the underside of the roof white?

Nope.. Top-Side... I live in à townhouse.. Front is nicely tiled, backside is concrete roof tiles. So that part I painted white.
There's some pictures of it on this forum, have a look at my threads...
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby oil » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
oil wrote:

It's still there

for me it redirects to http://www.finehomebuilding.com/error
oil

PreviousNext

Return to roofing