- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: metal roofing and reflective foil

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:53 pm

One of her Aunts ( i think) mentioned something about gold, I pointed to the house under construction and said , "well were at about at 10 bhat of gold now"
Heh Heh, not a word more was said about gold.
Makmak456

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:28 pm

The problem with Thai's and iron roofs, is that I doubt many have actually seen a Colourbond roof as to what they are used to when you say Iron roofing.? Which is what they have had on most of their houses in the past, lapped sheets rusting away over the years . I'am assuming you can get the proper Colourbond in the long lengths where you are, then you make sure that the sheets are pressed into the insulation blankets under, then there is no noise from the rain to worry about.
Mike Judd

Postby rsokolowski » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:35 am

We have been married for twenty years, so I am used to hearing complaints (not really true, but it sounds good). She has already agreed to the metal (insulated roof style), but she wants a darker color and I want white or a light color. I know that white is the absolute best color for keeping the heat out, but I have to agree it is not the best looking.

The pictures in this thread show a green roof that is very attractive and from the description it seems to work well for keeping the radiant heat out. Has anyone else had any experience with other colors (something like red or blue), and the ability to reflect heat?

Since she is already OK with the metal insulated roof, I should probably compromise and let her pick the color for long term domestic tranquility purposes. Then I will not have to hear about the ugly white roof, and life will be good :wink: .
rsokolowski

Postby rsokolowski » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:03 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:rsokolowski,
Get the metal roof people to send a Thai rep around to talk to the wife. After the visit that's all she'll want.

Thanks for the suggestion, i will do that. I think I have her sold on the metal roof, I will just let her pick the color (probably light green).
rsokolowski

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:52 am

I'am a Dark blue man myself (Ocean Blue) I have that colour with my Excella tiled roof in Thailand and the same in my Colourbond roof here in Oz. It is generally excepted that the lighter colours reflect the heat better, but with insulation I can't say that I experience any undue heat from the roof on any really hot days here in Oz.As long as you have adequate roof ventilation ,go for the colour you both like.
Mike Judd

Postby thailazer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 am

There was a build thread about two years ago (Issanbuilder?) that had the best looking steel roof. Set in the trees, it was a dark red color and two different roof pitches. Tried to find that thread but no luck, but if anyone remembers, that would be a good one to check out.

Reasons to use use a steel roof:

-Minimum cost solution. (Roofing and support structure.)
-Loses heat after the sun goes down immediately. (Won't keep radiating heat like tile.)
-Easy to insulate.
-Won't fall on you in an earthquake and difficult for robbery entry.

Reasons not to use it:

-Not as attractive as tile.
-Many grades and suppliers making selection difficult.
-More noise during rain. (Insignificant if foam backed.)
thailazer

Postby fredlk » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:26 am

rsokolowski wrote:I know that white is the absolute best color for keeping the heat out, but I have to agree it is not the best looking.

That is purely a matter of taste. I think it IS the best looking. Of course each to his own and I don't particularly like tiles, but I do like wood shingles. :D
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 am

thailazer wrote:There was a build thread about two years ago (Issanbuilder?) that had the best looking steel roof. Set in the trees, it was a dark red color and two different roof pitches. Tried to find that thread but no luck, but if anyone remembers, that would be a good one to check out.

Reasons to use use a steel roof:

-Minimum cost solution. (Roofing and support structure.)
-Loses heat after the sun goes down immediately. (Won't keep radiating heat like tile.)
-Easy to insulate.
-Won't fall on you in an earthquake and difficult for robbery entry.

Reasons not to use it:

-Not as attractive as tile.
-Many grades and suppliers making selection difficult.
-More noise during rain. (Insignificant if foam backed.)

I would argue against the security aspect of a metal roof wider spacing between the supports making a better access than tiles ! the metal used is so thin you could probably tear through it ? i have seen the Thai way of shortening corougated roof sheets (metal) they actuall do nick the edge then rip the sheet failing that tin snips are not dificult to find or expensive
Cost wise its not a cheap option really if you use colourbond and a spray foam insulation but even the normal glued insulation works out expensive The only other question is tile or metal which will give you a longer service life ? Heat retention i discounted because if vented properly and benifitting from foil the heat stored up there should not be an issue
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby rsokolowski » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:11 am

I found the link to the house with the red metal roof. A very nice build.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2267#p19444
rsokolowski

Postby geordie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 am

rsokolowski wrote:I found the link to the house with the red metal roof. A very nice build.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2267#p19444

Well done on finding it again i remember it from reading commenting i know from previous searches not always easy :D it is a nice roof
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MaiKowJai » Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Pricing Update

Quote from local supplier (best of 3 local quotes) for a roof with little complexity. General cost for Bluescope steel roof @ 0.33mm thickness was 125 baht/m2 plus 60 baht/m2 for foam & foil thermal backing material. This does not include all the odds and ends though. At the end of the day all in we were quoted 70k baht for ~210 m2 of roofing with the foam & foil backing (all inclusive including screws). This does not include the steel sub structure for the roof which for us is non-representative because we are using a mix of new steel with old wood. Works out to 330 baht/m2. Could have saved a bit by going with thinner steel but I didn't like the look of it and it wasn't that big of a savings (5-10%).

Family decided to go with the straight steel with no insulation backing which cut the cost to 51k baht or ~ 240 baht/m2.
MaiKowJai

Postby thisisit » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Mike Judd wrote:The problem with Thai's and iron roofs, is that I doubt many have actually seen a Colourbond roof as to what they are used to when you say Iron roofing.? Which is what they have had on most of their houses in the past, lapped sheets rusting away over the years . I'am assuming you can get the proper Colourbond in the long lengths where you are, then you make sure that the sheets are pressed into the insulation blankets under, then there is no noise from the rain to worry about.

I spoke with the Colorbond guys in Bkk today and they said they dont recommend sprayed insulation and instead recommended glasswool with aluminium foil.

Does anyone know the difference between bolted and boltless Colorbond roofs? They didnt clearly communicate that.
thisisit

Postby schuimpge » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:22 am

thisisit wrote:
Mike Judd wrote:The problem with Thai's and iron roofs, is that I doubt many have actually seen a Colourbond roof as to what they are used to when you say Iron roofing.? Which is what they have had on most of their houses in the past, lapped sheets rusting away over the years . I'am assuming you can get the proper Colourbond in the long lengths where you are, then you make sure that the sheets are pressed into the insulation blankets under, then there is no noise from the rain to worry about.

I spoke with the Colorbond guys in Bkk today and they said they dont recommend sprayed insulation and instead recommended glasswool with aluminium foil.

Does anyone know the difference between bolted and boltless Colorbond roofs? They didnt clearly communicate that.

Did they give any reason for not using PU-Foam?
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:32 am

schuimpge wrote:
thisisit wrote:

Did they give any reason for not using PU-Foam?

I suspect the reason is that they don't supply PU-Foam themselves and they do supply the other.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:44 am

Thanks Fred, makes perfect sense indeed.
Can't imagine why PU would have a negative on a roof like that.
The earlier mentioned break in won't be possible anymore, though god forbid you have someone trying it...damage would be unbelievable..

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to roofing