- tiles and coverings
- gutters and valleys
- insulation and ventilation
- soffit
- ceilings and anything related to ceiling construction and decoration

Moderators: MGV12, pattayapope

Re: metal roofing and reflective foil

Postby Ians » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Certainly overkill but more than effective, I assume flat roof.
Ians

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 pm

For a tin roof, your best insulation trick is the foil encapsulated fiberglass batts that sell everywhere. But I caution, dont install down lights. They require holes in the insulation for ventilation. Place the insulation over the ceiling plasterboard, the better the rating, the better the effect.

As for roof ventilation, you need a roof ventilator. In australia we used to call them whirlygigs.
Check this out as a start. https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/b ... ation/roof

Equalizing outside temperatures and ceiling cavity can take a good 20degrees out of the equation.

My thoughts on a tin roof? In australia, I wouldnt hesitate. Here I would have kittens. Not only are the tin sheets very very thin, the spacing between battens is a ludicrous 1.2m. I am used to 60cm max spacing, 45cm being the normal. The battens aren't even fastened properly, you cant buy fasteners off the shelf like in australia and so everything is "tac welded".
Not full welds, Tac welds. My wife has various pieces added to her house and what i see makes me giggle, hammer my fist in rage and cautious when using their standard materials. In other words, I have little faith in their standards.
Andyfteeze

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:For a tin roof, your best insulation trick is the foil encapsulated fiberglass batts that sell everywhere. But I caution, dont install down lights. They require holes in the insulation for ventilation.

Better to also use the foil just under the roof first. It's cheap easy to fit and makes a difference that well outweighs its cost

For lights that depends on the downlight, with the advent of LED down lights that may not be needed

Place the insulation over the ceiling plasterboard, the better the rating, the better the effect.

Can't hurt.

My thoughts on a tin roof? In australia, I wouldnt hesitate. Here I would have kittens. Not only are the tin sheets very very thin, the spacing between battens is a ludicrous 1.2m. I am used to 60cm max spacing, 45cm being the normal. The battens aren't even fastened properly, you cant buy fasteners off the shelf like in australia and so everything is "tac welded".
Not full welds, Tac welds.

For the metal sheet you can buy thin stuff or the same or better quality than you get in Australia.
For the welding what you say suggests that you haven't had good workers or a good supervisor. Properly welded battens are probably better than ones held on with clips. Clips are used there because they are faster to fit so because labour is much higher they are cost effective.

My wife has various pieces added to her house and what i see makes me giggle, hammer my fist in rage and cautious when using their standard materials. In other words, I have little faith in their standards.

The majority of Thai people will take the simple route and accept what is done for an easy life.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:For the metal sheet you can buy thin stuff or the same or better quality than you get in Australia.
For the welding what you say suggests that you haven't had good workers or a good supervisor. Properly welded battens are probably better than ones held on with clips. Clips are used there because they are faster to fit so because labour is much higher they are cost effective.

Everything here has to be supervised. Properly welded battens? Where? The welding crew I had only did runs because I stood over them and made them do it my way. There is nothing wrong with the clips when using Colorbond roofing. They are used extensively in Darwin and other areas that have strict cyclone building standards. I used them on this roof and even though I've lost fibro sheets caused by storms and air currents, not one Colorbond clip has lifted.
The standards in Australia were set by the civilian people under the supervision of Major General Alan Stretton after cyclone Tracy decimated Darwin and its suburbs. The army was used as a communications tool to the outside world and helped civilian engineers with the planning of the new Darwin. Colorbond made a name for itself after Tracy and supplied many homes with free Colorbond and all was clipped after extensive tests were carried out by the Corps of Engineers.
Most modern day houses in cyclone prone areas use Colorbond and clips, not because it's faster and saves on labour, but because they were designed to withstand cyclones.
I wouldn't use the Thai thin tin sheets (mostly made in China), I can rip them with my hands.
The only tin roof I'd use is Colorbond, which comes in various thicknesses and is guaranteed for 30 years.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:42 pm

As I said , a tin roof would give me kittens here. Thai trades? Unless I have worked with one before, I see them all as supect.

plumber i just had running pipes had the IQ of a primate. Why stop at two holes for the pipes when 7 will be just as good, sheesh. I turn my back for literaly 10min and they try it on. Luckily for me, the electrical and plumbing is just about done and they all go. I will have some pleasure finishing ALONE. Pi Bah was exclaimed more than once in the last two days. I have two bathrooms that look like swiss cheese. The concreters and block layers/renderers were top notch trades but even there, not without some angst. If they dont want to do something, its usually the most asinine excuse. But thats your cue to say thankyou and let them go.
"why dont you finish rendering around the bathroom windows? No you put the tiles first then we come back." The wife says ok, limply. WTF just happened? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The builder (me) just collected another job.
Andyfteeze

Postby webmaster786 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Metal roofs available now are far better than the other roofs like asphalt shingles. We are filling our landfills with tons of torn off shingles. Sure it cost more initially, but a metal roof can last over 100 years. Architecture facades building contractor preferred metal roofing.It's my suggestion you have to choose Metal roof no matter its little bit noisy but its ok its more than other roofs :) Anyhow your topic is much informative ;)
webmaster786

Previous

Return to roofing