hello fellow builders

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

hello fellow builders

Postby jonblue » Sun May 29, 2005 12:13 pm

Greetings to all. I happened upon this site a couple of nights ago and have found it to provide a fantastic education on building in Thailand. Considering my general ignorance when it comes to building houses and the fact that my wife and I are planning to start a project to build a house in the Mae Rim area of Chiang Mai, I feel fortunate to have found you guys. We are not currently in Thailand and probably won't be able to begin the project until summer 2006 at the earliest, but we still like to spend time working up sketches and rough plans. Seeing this site has definitely got us excited and certainly bolstered my confidence that I can properly oversee the project and limit the problems that can go on. Now, if only I could come up with enough money to do the project the way we want. :? Though I am sure that I will have more questions in the future as we really get things going, the one thing I couldn't find much info on is building two-storey houses. Can someone tell me how much costs are increased for two-storey houses? Is it just a matter of the extra sq. meters or does second storey work cost more?
Thanks
Jon
jonblue

welcome Jon

Postby dozer » Sun May 29, 2005 3:12 pm

Hi Jon. Glad you found the site also. Great question on two story houses. On thing you have to realize here is that most construction workers come from North East Thailand. Some farm 1/2 year and do construction the other half. Some are full time construction workers.

The skill level is generally good all though there are all different levels. Normally in a crew the foreman will be the most skilled with various levels through out.

Some workers you would classify as 'chaang fee muu' ช่างฝืมือ that is a skilled craftsman but maybe cannot build to a plan.

What is all this getting at? When you go to a two story building you basically need a more specialized group than average, because the level of complexity goes up one notch. You'll need to find a crew who has been building two story houses for a while. Likewise, condos require even a higher and more specialized skill set.

Besides a higher caliber of rebar used, other materials are similar. The per meter build out cost will actually be a bit lower than a one story, since, after all, there is only one roof!

The most important relationship you have going is your builders. You want to spend as much time before you start to make sure you get a good set of builders, especially a really good and experienced foreman.

I personally like the idea of a one story house built on a big lot. After all, land here is still relatively cheap and it is nice not to be jammed right up next to your neighbors.

good luck...
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jonblue » Sun May 29, 2005 10:55 pm

Thanks, Dozer. I appreciate the insight. We're definitely set on the idea of a two-storey house because we want to take advantage of the great views we have from our lot in the foothills of Doi Pui. :D Also, our current design has the ground floor larger than the second floor so that means more than one roof. (Did I explain that clearly?) So...perhaps that brings the per meter cost back up. We'll see. Anyway, it seems that the most important step in this whole project is getting a solid reference on a contractor/foreman. There are a lot of people building in my area so hopefully that won't be too difficult. It's very frustrating not being in country so that we can get things rolling.

Thanks again
jon
jonblue

Re: hello fellow builders

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:08 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I think you've all bean had.

Either way, "munged" is not a word

The Oxford English Dictionary does not agree.

They consider it a word.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:15 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:The Oxford English Dictionary does not agree.

They consider it a word.

The only time munged can be used is in a Pakistani Coroner's report.
.......(Man's name) was working in the marvelously huge, round mung bean warehouse in the lovely, sprawling city of ......... (city's name) when the very bottom, rotting hessian sack on the enormous 260 ton pile decided it was time to collapse, causing a cataclysmic catastrophic, unprecedented collapse of the whole pile on his head. I am thinking that this was the cause of his unfortunate demise. ...... I am thinking therefore that (man's name) was munged to death.
Please note add another 101 adjectives that have no meaning and you have the real usage of the word munged from its origins.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:The Oxford English Dictionary does not agree.

They consider it a word.

The only time munged can be used is in a Pakistani Coroner's report.

Wrong again :lol:

I have not munged the URL under dealing with the process of munging to produce a munged result.
There is a perfectly good English sentence using the past and continues tense of the verb mung

Maybe in your version of the language it isn't correct, but luckily I don't have to use it. 8) :D and can stay with the English language :) as I am English.
http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Maybe in your version of the language it isn't correct, but luckily I don't have to use it.

There's only onee problem with that, the Oxford English Dictionary records it as a slang verb adopted from Pakistan to describe a bean. The Oxford English Dictionary says that slang is not regarded as part of the official English language.
Coolthaihouse is it's only reference in Google..... other than slang for a Pakistani bean (Mung) not munged, other than the official coroner's report from ....... (name of Pakistani city). Which I would have pasted except I didn't understand what it said........ except that the Pakistanis' have murdered the English language usage, just like the Englsh.
Perhaps you should take a refresher course on the use of past present tense's. Here is a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG_TNYTHN5E
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Maybe in your version of the language it isn't correct, but luckily I don't have to use it.

There's only onee problem with that, the Oxford English Dictionary records it as a slang verb adopted from Pakistan to describe a bean. The Oxford English Dictionary says that slang is not regarded as part of the official English language.
Coolthaihouse is it's only reference in Google..... other than slang for a Pakistani bean (Mung) not munged, other than the official coroner's report from ....... (name of Pakistani city). Which I would have pasted except I didn't understand what it said........ except that the Pakistanis' have murdered the English language usage, just like the Englsh.
Perhaps you should take a refresher course on the use of past present tense's. Here is a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG_TNYTHN5E

You are wriggling again. First you claim that it isn't a word, now you say that it is a word but give a fallacious definition.
As used "munged" is the past tense of "mung", origin "a word from an acronym "Mash Until No Good" coined in 1958 at MIT
As used it has nothing to do with Pakistan or beans, and while a slang word it is, none the less, a word.

It also looks as if you need to use a later edition of the OED.
image.jpg
Again the OED

The term was coined in 1958 in the Tech Model Railroad Club at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 1960 the backronym "Mash Until No Good" was created to describe Mung, and a while after it was revised to "Mung Until No Good", making it one of the first recursive acronyms. It lived on as a recursive command in the editing language TECO.

Usages of the term appear in munged password (a strong, secure password created through character substitution), data munging (cleaning data from one "raw" form into a structured, purged one) and address munging (disguising an e-mail address).

*** Note to MGV12 *** could you split this thread off and move it to a better forum please

< Not so sure there is a "better forum", and as this thread has been dead for nine years I can't see the OP complaining :) - mod>
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:08 pm

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:56 pm

munged
English
Verb
munged

simple past tense and past participle of mung
simple past tense and past participle of munge
Categories: English verb forms English non-lemma forms English verb simple past forms English past participles

english-funny.jpg

:mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:You are wriggling again. First you claim that it isn't a word, now you say that it is a word but give a fallacious definition.

Firstly I never wriggle. If I am wrong I admit it and apologise, unlike some other members.
Munged is slang and nobody but you knew what it meant, but you still quoted the Oxford English Dictionary as your source when it was not because there was references to computer geeks and other idiotic references, but not the Oxford English Dictionary. What you didn't say was it was slang and therefore the Oxford English Dictionary may list it, and it is not recognised as a word as such, but as a slang word and there is a difference. I also looked up some real Australian slang "words" in the Oxford English Dictionary, most were not there, but the ones that were were notated as slang, just as your munged is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slang I suggest you might like to read about slang, especially what the experts say about the use of it. Slang has never been accepted as "English", which is why the Oxford English Dictionary makes the notation besides it, however, when I searched for the word in the Oxford English Dictionary online it did not appear, but coolthaihouse did.
Why do you go off on tangents? Why didn't you just post it was slang for people who use computers or talk computer talk instead of stating it was a word and was in the Oxford English Dictionary..... which by the way is three words, not three letters.
No wonder us Aussies cringe at the bastardisation of the English language. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Quote: I also looked up some real Australian slang "words" in the Oxford English Dictionary, most were not there, :Unquote

For good reason - nobody except us Aussie would understand it anyway - even with the help of a dictionary :lol:
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Personally I feel that 'my' language has been bastardised enough already; the OED has a lot to answer for.

In my opinion, this type of separatist verbiage should be expunged from the forum. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:33 am

Ians wrote:For good reason - nobody except us Aussie would understand it anyway - even with the help of a dictionary

Dinkum. :D Which is why you should always use Merriam Webster instead of the Oxford English Dictionary.
MGV12 wrote:In my opinion, this type of separatist verbiage should be expunged from the forum.

Are you suggesting that every member must be a Mason, Templar, Buffalo and know the hidden handshake, elbow tap, lifting of the skirt?, wink, nod, nudge etc before they're allowed entry into the exclusive club/forum or be expunged? A bloody new exam at my age will be a real challenge, but I'm willing to play by the separatist rules as I know a lot of abbreviations and am well versed on Crypto, even though the latter is American, changes daily and I haven't used it in years. But I would advise caution, that word "sparatist" will cause code 4 bells (just like going to DEFCON 4) ringing at every spy agency in the wolrd and then we will get more than Google after our arses. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Are you suggesting that every member must be a Mason, Templar, Buffalo and know the hidden handshake, elbow tap, lifting of the skirt?, wink, nod, nudge etc before they're allowed entry into the exclusive club/forum or be expunged? A bloody new exam at my age will be a real challenge, but I'm willing to play by the separatist rules as I know a lot of abbreviations and am well versed on Crypto, even though the latter is American, changes daily and I haven't used it in years. But I would advise caution, that word "sparatist" will cause code 4 bells (just like going to DEFCON 4) ringing at every spy agency in the wolrd and then we will get more than Google after our arses. :D

I consider that the inclinations of our members should be their business and theirs alone ... 'we' let just about anyone through the door; the likes of you and I for starters :lol:

As for secret societies et al: CTH is not a secret society per se insofar as the information within the forum is freely available to members and non-members; to an extent. 'We' are not secretive about our collective secrets and they are not at all secreted but there for all to see ... for free. Not discretionary in any way and indeed those who have a tendency towards secretiveness can simply express that by not expressing themselves; as the majority do. I could go on but will refrain as I fancy a beer .... :lol:

MGV12

Return to Introduce Yourself