G'day all

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

G'day all

Postby bindog » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:45 pm

G'day all,

I am Neil, from Sydney Australia. HaHa, I see I've been a member lurking in this site for over four years now. But I just made my first post, so time to introduce myself I guess.

I am, my God, in my early 50s now - where did that sneak up on me from? :oops: I have been married for more than 23 years to a Thai woman the same age as myself. Have lived in Sydney all that time, apart from a two-year stint working in KL and Bangkok in the first years of our marriage. We visit Thailand almost every year.

We will retire to Thailand either in five years or when my (IT) job is sent to India, whichever comes first. The closer I get to the five years the grander my Thailand house will be. :lol:

Not that we're planning anything 'grand', we're both down-to-earth people. If I can conjure a life with few mosquitoes I'll be happy. And a big pickup truck. A two-bedroom place on the outskirts of Buriram is the plan, using as many 'eco design' principles as I can get my head around / live comfortably with / convince the future Thai architect to use. Looking forward to the journey!

And looking forward to learning from this site, and passing on what I know / learn.

Ah, the moniker is in honour of my ex-border collie, Bindi. I used to use his email address to enter competitions and such, kept it when he died.

Cheers.
bindog

Re: G'day all

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:27 pm

G'day Neil, welcome to CTH, there's a wealth of knowledge here that's only curtailed by the lack of knowledge of Thai builders.
If you're going to buy the biggest badest ute over here you'd better bring a big bullbar from Sydney with you.... slip it in the carry-on luggage at the airport.
Unfortunately the eco design thing will depend on what your Thai builder wants to give you or what your architect understands you want or what he wants to give you.
Looking forward to your build in the sticks. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 pm

bindog wrote:G'day all,

I am Neil, from Sydney Australia. HaHa, I see I've been a member lurking in this site for over four years now. But I just made my first post, so time to introduce myself I guess.

Ah, the moniker is in honour of my ex-border collie, Bindi. I used to use his email address to enter competitions and such, kept it when he died.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Forum and it was a great "State of Origin" series, particularly the last game

pipoz
pipoz

Postby bindog » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:54 pm

pipoz wrote:
bindog wrote:G'day all,

Cheers.

Welcome to the Forum and it was a great "State of Origin" series, particularly the last game

pipoz

Don't worry, I'm from Mackay. Not a fan of the Qld Origin team though. No denying they have several once in a generation players in the team though, some of them from Queensland! :D

I'm tipping an all-Qld Grand Final, and an all WA GF in the gayFL.

(Thanks for the welcome! :) )
bindog

Postby bindog » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:G'day Neil, welcome to CTH, there's a wealth of knowledge here that's only curtailed by the lack of knowledge of Thai builders.
If you're going to buy the biggest badest ute over here you'd better bring a big bullbar from Sydney with you.... slip it in the carry-on luggage at the airport.
Unfortunately the eco design thing will depend on what your Thai builder wants to give you or what your architect understands you want or what he wants to give you.
Looking forward to your build in the sticks. :D

Thanks Roger - that bullbar sounds good. I'm surprised no-one is exporting them to Thailand under the one-way free trade agreement. Or maybe they tried.

Yeah, I'm not too hopeful on the eco design thing. I like to think we'll find a talented young architect with modern ideas and low prices, but we'll probably just end up with a house made with the Qcon blocks and large eaves. At least I can design that much in by myself. I've read enough to know just getting three-wire electricity that doesn't zap me in the shower will be "success". Low expectations, high hopes!
bindog

Return to Introduce Yourself