Hi building new house ideas welcomed

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hi building new house ideas welcomed

Postby arickuk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:24 am

My name is Arick Canadian/British from Bermondsey London.... building a home on 5 Rai in Chaiyaphum Province. I am up for any interesting landscape plans ideas for a home want two bedroom not that big. Fish pond is already there but can redo the whole land. :D
arickuk

Re: Hi building new house ideas welcomed

Postby schuimpge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Bit difficult as we don't know anything about what your interests are.
But what I would do with 5 Rai?
- Plan the house at the front with space for carpark, maybe keep some space for future projects or house-extensions.
- Backside, I'd put a natural pool in, large decking around it with lots of potted plants, rest grass/lawn.

That would use up about 2 Rai of land.
- The remaining 3 Rai, use it for growing plants, vegetables. Doing that as much as possible with natural resources, minimal water use, automated watering, etc. Can be done real cheap.
- Part of the plants to grow are shadow/low-light plants, so they'll be covered by rows of Solar Power.
- maybe put in some race-track for my RC-cars (Off-Road/Crawler).
- Definitely a large work-shop as well.

Dream to come true some time I hope..

:mrgreen:
schuimpge

Postby arickuk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks
Landscaping will start in two weeks. There is already an existing pond this will be enlarged and clean out. I am just making a list of fruit trees that we will plant. checking out building materials in Khon Kaen.
arickuk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:57 pm

arickuk wrote:Thanks
Landscaping will start in two weeks. There is already an existing pond this will be enlarged and clean out. I am just making a list of fruit trees that we will plant. checking out building materials in Khon Kaen.

You may decide to have a pool for water storage for irrigation during the dry season, if so the get it dug down to 6 meters, or more the first time, this has two advantages the first of course is the added water storage, the second which is not so obvious is that fish poaching will be very much more difficult. With our main pool nobody is interested in poaching as they can't easily stand on the bottom to use their nets, the other 2 ate only about 2 meters deep in the dry season so can be cleaned out very easily.

We let the locals swim when we are there and that is what they said.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby arickuk » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks Having the pond dug out more on Saturday and landscaping. Decided to have a pool done also.
arickuk

Postby MGV12 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:00 pm

arickuk wrote:Thanks Having the pond dug out more on Saturday and landscaping. Decided to have a pool done also.

Pics?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby andymac » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Hi Arick welcome to the forum,

Five rai is a fair chunk of land, yes some pics please, before and after photos are always appreciated.

We purchased four rai a couple of years ago and my advices to zone out the area, best place and orientation for the main house, others for utilities and unsightly needs, open public spaces and closed more private areas. Then you can set about planning the phases which can have different priorities, budget, access, seasonal etc. That's what we did at the outset and we've more less stuck with the plan although some changes to the actual design of the structures but location more or less fixed.
See here; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4043&start=15

As for a pond, bigger is better :D Our property was a relatively flat field so excavating a pond was our first task so we had earth to raise the rear of the property which is where the first structure is going up. We went down three metres for the pond and it's turned out great.
See here; viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4485

Also recommend determine where you want the trees and get them young and in the ground the sooner the better so they can mature for when you're living there. We've planted seventy so far, it's kind of a mission on every visit to plant a tree.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
andymac

Return to Introduce Yourself