Hello everyone

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello everyone

Postby Fishsage » Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 am

Hello everyone nice to be here ,
My name is shaun and I live in Norway with my wife who is from Surin in North East of Thailand . We lived in Surin just renting property before we moved back to Norway,as I wanted my wife to experience the European way of life and to experience new things, it also gave me an excuse to get back to my fly fishing .
Think now the time has come to start plans of buying property in Surin and building a house for when I finally retire and this forum has some great ideas and maybe I can make some friends at the same time .
Fishsage

Re: Hello everyone

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 20, 2015 6:58 am

Hello Shaun and welcome to the forum.
Fishsage wrote:it also gave me an excuse to get back to my fly fishing .

You'll miss the trout fishing, in fact there isn't much fishing done here at all; the sea is stripped, the rivers are full of cat fish that don't fight and you'll end up throwing pellets to tame fish at temples which my wife says is a no no as far as taking home a catch of. And try and get a Thai to throw back an undersized fish in the sea (for next year) is a fruitless task. But at Surin I doubt that will be a problem.
The only fish I've seen, other than MGV12's carp of any size, you're not allowed to keep, but then the bottom dwellers are just mud anyway.
I wish you all the best with the forthcoming plans and build.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Wed May 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Hello Shaun and welcome to the forum.
You'll miss the trout fishing, in fact there isn't much fishing done here at all

I would not quite agree with you. Just yesterday morning, when jogging along the river near my place, I was given 2 smaller catfish (20cm) fished out by a (Thai) friend fisherman who I am seeing there every day. He advised them for cooking but I had added them into my koi pond where they are now cohabiting with other colorful kois (in fact, underneath them, laying with their long tentacles at the bottom, quite not so easy to be seen since fully black).

So far, no battle inside.

Klondyke

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 20, 2015 3:21 pm

Klondyke wrote:I would not quite agree with you. Just yesterday morning, when jogging along the river near my place, I was given 2 smaller catfish (20cm) fished out by a (Thai) friend fisherman who I am seeing there every day.

You are not serious Klondyke, have you ever eaten either koi or catfish. Both taste of mud. Can you imagine walking into a fish and chip shop and ordering koi or catfish. Firstly it wouldn't be on the menu because the shop keeper would be out of business in no time, secondly you'd have to use a whole bottle of vinegar just to kill the mud taste. Even on a survival course some mates of mine would rather go hungy that eat the damned things. There was an exception a smart Sergeant who carried around a tin of curry powder....said it killed the taste of most things.
As for sea fish, I'll take you out on my boat that has sonar and you'll be amazed at what you can't catch.....because it's just not there anymore. I go out from Koh Samet and we hang around the reefs and rocky outcrops (none of which are marked on any maps) but the Thai fishermen know where they are and steer well clear so at least I do get some bites, but mostly have to throw them back for next year.
Even your dogs just show a passing interest in the koi, they have far too much brains to actually dive in and catch one. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Klondyke » Wed May 20, 2015 5:41 pm

@RR
where did you read that I am going to eat koi fish? However, a cat fish is not so bad, and it is not so cheap.
In fact, I was enlightened that the fish I brought is not a usual cat fish (PlaDuc) but PlaKot, not clear about the difference, their tentacles are very long.

And they know how to slowly decimate the plentiful small fish (not from kois) I am having in pond. The small guys disturb me when I dispose of leaves on the surface, they are always among the stuff I am throwing away.

BTW: My dogs substitute a sonar when going out fishing.

BTW: I am the only one on the river with oars (not paddles). It takes me a lot of effort with my two hands to leave the dogs behind...
Klondyke

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Klondike, where the cats fully black or did they have eyes like crystals and the front of their dorsal fin white?
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 20, 2015 10:20 pm

If so, they'd be crystal eyed catfish, one of the meanest catfish on earth
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 20, 2015 10:23 pm

And sure the clean the small fish as the are small but will start soon on your smaller Koi, followed by the bigger ones.
Their cute long barbels are their eyes and koi are defenseless at night against those
schuimpge

Postby Klondyke » Thu May 21, 2015 8:50 am

Incidentally, this morning I have again been given a smaller exemplar of this cat fish (they call it PlaKot). I have not looked in his (her) eyes. :D

Normally, the usual PlaDuc (not sure about the difference) is sold on the market made on BBQ, on a long skewer in a alufoil. As I have learned these PlaKot are cooked since the meat is harder, however when properly prepared is very delicious.

Anyway, I had run home with the fish in hand (the last case was with two hands) and the fish had survived the 10 min in my hand. Made a picture before liberation (can it be called a liberation? :( ). This one has the tentacles nearly white, not sitting at the bottom but moving in higher levels among the kois, so I was able to take pictures. Unlike the previous two ones that are completely black, keeping at the bottom, just slowly moving, difficult to discover.

So far, I have not seen any hassle towards the kois, not even a reduction of the small fish, will see later. Anyway, the kois are between 15 - 35 cm long, I do not think that they could get some harm by these predators.

Klondyke

Return to Introduce Yourself