Retiring in Udon Thani

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Retiring in Udon Thani

Postby jeff99 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:13 am

Greetings, My name is jeff I am from Minnesota in the United States. I have been married to my wife Prayoon for 17 yrs she is from Nong Khai Thailand. We currently have a small home and farmland in the Nong Khai country side that we stay at when visiting however when we retire and move to Thailand permanently we will be buying a Rai or 2 close to Udon and building a new home, As a hobbie I am a audiophile so part of my move will include a container with household goods but most importantly my audio equipment needless to say when building my new home it must have a dedicated and well designed listening room. We plan to purchase the land soon but are actual retirement wont start until our 16 yr old son is on his own hopefully in 2 years. I have my full 30 yrs in the union and am fully vested for retirement I have been a union crane mechanic since age 20 and I am 52 now.
jeff99

Re: Retiring in Udon Thani

Postby Ians » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:26 am

Welcome aboard Jeff - looks like lots of fun ahead for you :lol: - many of us have been there/ seen all the fun and pleased to be well out of it, but saying that many helpful people here to assist when times get tough.

As an Aussie I'm not completely sure what " I have my full 30 yrs in the union and am fully vested for retirement I have been a union crane mechanic ........." entails - is this a worker's Union member for 30yrs and retirement pension?
Ians

Postby Ians » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:27 am

slow system today - double post removed.
Ians

Postby jeff99 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:51 am

Correct when having 30 yrs in with the 49ers union you are fully vested and able to start collecting full retirement benefits. A US citizen cannot start their social security [ Government ]benefits until age 62 and that would be at a reduced amount for not waiting until age 65.
jeff99

Postby pipoz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Welcome aboard jeff99, there are quite a few of us based in Udon Thani and or the surrounding areas

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:21 pm

Welcome Jeff and good luck with the retirement. Make sure you have enough to cover the "Retirement Visa" here and pray the US$ stays high.
Roger Ramjet

Return to Introduce Yourself