Hello from a "lurker"

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello from a "lurker"

Postby cliveshep » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:59 am

Hello to all of you living in LOS. My name is Clive, I'm in my late 60's (very late) and I'm still living and working full-time in the UK. I'm married to the absolute best and most beautiful little Utarradit girl ever, her name is Arisa. We've been married for only 3 years and we live in the UK with my daughter from a previous marriage (about to clear off to Uni), and a crazy cocker spaniel. We are trying for a family, Arisa is in the right age group at only 31 but I may very well be too old - we'll keep trying. It's a big ask at nearly 3-score years and 10 but Abraham managed it at 100 and we are no way giving up because it is a Thai thing - she wants a child to care for here when SHE is old! They are big on family and I love that. Her family are tops too - lovely people.

Next year we intend to re-locate to LOS - somewhere - we have no idea where. Arisa would love to buy land near the beach, around Rayong she says but we are aware that land has got very expensive. We want to build rooms to rent and also a large enough home for all of us, currently meaning Arisa and I, our dog, her two sisters and nephew and another dog (they own a small town house outside Bangkok at present). Her builder brother and his two daughters are also in need of a home where they will be secure - he has to rent and they all live in one room at present, so how far we can make the money go is going to determine where our container of worldly goods gets to go when it arrives in Laem Chabang. One thing we are sure of is that we'll build cheaply like other Thais do because we'll have to, and so far this site has been a place with great and informative information and anecdotes and very helpful.

I work as Construction Project Manager. I used to do Design and Build and worked on tools all my life until my back gave out, now I run a small Management company. My all time hobby was building or restoring boats and we'll be bringing a couple of "tiddlers" with us when we come. Arisa like me loves the sea and the boats but unlike me she also loves shoes and handbags! We are both "born again" Christians so we have much in common.

So I might post the odd question as we plan our future, but otherwise we will continue to "lurk" and store up all the little titbits we glean here.
cliveshep

Re: Hello from a "lurker"

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:45 am

Welcome Mate ! Unless you have some secrete formulae for making a living that hasn't been tried before in Thailand ,or lots of money to invest in one of the many lucrative material suppling concerns ( Labour is cheap but materials seem expensive to my way of thinking ) You maybe better off having some form of income producing asset in the U.K. A modest income in the U.K. will be like a fortune in Thailand. The amount of work and effort most of the Thai's put in per year (Especially on the land ) returns only peanuts as far as I can see. Mind you there are lots of Thai's driving around in bloody expensive cars ,so there must be money to be made somewhere. :wink: :wink:
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Welcome Clive

Sounds like you might have to build a hotel, the two of you, plus her two sisters & nephew, plus the Builder his two daughters, plus a swag of dogs

The good thing is, that they only need small bedrooms to sleep in at night and for the majority of the time they sit, talk and drink under a open Sala. So yes if you design well, you actually can build a place that suits them and their lifestyle reasonably cheap. Just have a cool retreat room for yourself

Re. The two Sisters, not a bad idea to have them move in :lol: :roll: I don't think I would be game enough to suggest to my TG that her two sisters or two friends, move in to our house, but then again, having seen one of her friends recently, it might be worth the risk.

Just as a note, when I move to Thailand, I am abandoning my worldly goods here, as the cost to move them vs what you get in Thailand, tell me, just to buy new when I get their.

Good luck

pipoz
pipoz

Postby cliveshep » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:04 am

Mike - there will be nothing left in the UK, except a pension. the family here have been living on the less than that for some time so we'll scrape by. My beloved can get a job to help out if she wants. The intention is to build little rooms in a sort of bunkhouse style and rent them out long-term unless we can find anough land for individual rooms Thai resort style which would bring in more money per unit but unlikely to be more than maybe 40% occupancy rate. We aren't interested making big money - simply enough for daily needs for us and any waif's and strays coming our way.

Pipoz - I have had a very good price to ship here via a Thai contact I sold a boat to so given the vast amount of tools and machines plus boats and engines and a house full of furniture we will bring the lot. That incliudes a load of construction stuff, including anything our builder brother doesn't own, like a mixer for example, or a wacker-plate or concrete poker. It is cheaper by far and away for my wife to simply bring the whole lot in her name in one go, and somehow we'll have to manage. But thank you for the good wishes
cliveshep

Postby Ians » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:20 am

cliveshep wrote:Mike - there will be nothing left in the UK, except a pension. the family here have been living on the less than that for some time so we'll scrape by. My beloved can get a job to help out if she wants. The intention is to build little rooms in a sort of bunkhouse style and rent them out long-term unless we can find anough land for individual rooms Thai resort style which would bring in more money per unit but unlikely to be more than maybe 40% occupancy rate. We aren't interested making big money - simply enough for daily needs for us and any waif's and strays coming our way.

Pipoz - I have had a very good price to ship here via a Thai contact I sold a boat to so given the vast amount of tools and machines plus boats and engines and a house full of furniture we will bring the lot. That incliudes a load of construction stuff, including anything our builder brother doesn't own, like a mixer for example, or a wacker-plate or concrete poker. It is cheaper by far and away for my wife to simply bring the whole lot in her name in one go, and somehow we'll have to manage. But thank you for the good wishes

Suggest you check very carefully with customs re. the import of this equipment, tools, motors etc. - you might get a nasty shock.
Ians

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Ians wrote:
cliveshep wrote:Mike - there will be nothing left in the UK, except a pension. the family here have been living on the less than that for some time so we'll scrape by. My beloved can get a job to help out if she wants. The intention is to build little rooms in a sort of bunkhouse style and rent them out long-term unless we can find anough land for individual rooms Thai resort style which would bring in more money per unit but unlikely to be more than maybe 40% occupancy rate. We aren't interested making big money - simply enough for daily needs for us and any waif's and strays coming our way.

Suggest you check very carefully with customs re. the import of this equipment, tools, motors etc. - you might get a nasty shock.

It's not dificult or too expensive (apart from the shipping cost) the machines under were all shipped from the UK
image.jpg
8" planer thicknesser

image.jpg
Cast iron 6" planer/10" table saw with 13amp motor

image.jpg
Inca bandsaw
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:14 pm

cliveshep wrote:

OK Clive, good luck.

I on the other hand don't have one (a Thai wife, that is)so cant put it in her name, because she doesn't exist and most likely never will. Plus I would be shipping from Australia.

When I last checked, it wasn't so much the cots of the Ocean Freight from Australia to BKK (Laem Chabang), but the cost of the freight inside Thailand, from BKK to Udon Thani for the Sea Container, that worried me. Plus the unknown percentage that Thai Customs might try and charge me if they like some of the goods?

Be careful of the Thai Customs Department and their unknown/undefined Customs Clearance Fees

pipoz
pipoz

Postby cliveshep » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:33 pm

I'vew already via my Thai friend been in contact with Thai customs and the clearing house and they have been furnished with a shipping list so we know exactly what they will be asking for later on.

We are trying to do our "homework" well in advance you see, so hopefully lessening any nasty surprises. We have been told we only get one bite at that particular "cherry" so everything has to be done in one shipment.

Thanks for your concerns and advice.

Sorry no Thai wife - if you had one like mine you's understand where I'm coming from - totally outstanding!
cliveshep

Postby Shastadad » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:10 am

I don't want to pop your bubble but anything you receive from the Royal Thai Customs Department is not worth the paper it is printed on or the bits of data transmitted

What you pay is going to be completely dependent upon the customs agent that is assigned to your shipment. He will decide what it is worth and how much you are going to pay. You will most likely be given the option to pay X amount with a receipt and another, much lower amount, without a receipt

What you have not included in you calculations is exactly how much it is going to cost for your shipment to sit in the bonded warehouse while a decision is made on your shipment. That is the big "gotcha" when you deal with Customs here and is the method by which they can "extort" you

Some people have gotten stuff through without having to pay much, others have had to pay a kings ransom to get their stuff released. It is much like getting parcels delivered by Thai mail. Sometimes it comes through with no charges other times you are called down to the post office to pay. Like most things here in Thailand it is the luck of the draw

Plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if it is anything less
Shastadad

Return to Introduce Yourself