Hi from Tony and Gaun

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hi from Tony and Gaun

Postby Thaipom26 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:40 am

As many others have done I firstly want to thank all who have contributed to this forum and shared experiences, the good and perhaps more importantly the bad in helping others overcome the challenges to building in our new Thai homeland.

I am yet another Aussie now married to a Thai wife who has decided to make Thailand home. I took early retirement from a vastly boring job in the Canberra public service having been offered a redundancy while I was spending seven months in Thailand to see if it would offer a longer term retirement option. My timescale brought forward I decided to rent here for 12 months, have a look around and decide where I would settle and build.

We have been based in Chiang Mai for the last 11 months but have also spent time in Chiang Rai, Phuket and my wife's small Isaan town of Si Bun Ruang midway between Udon Thani and Khon Kaen.

A 1,000 m2 block of land became unexpectedly available late last year in the Moo Baan, close to my wife's family home and farm and I decided to buy it to either build a holiday place or our home on it once I had worked out where home would be.

Now the combination of Isaan, building near my Thai family and an Isaan Thai wife would throw the farang who haunt certain forums, certainly not this one, into an apoplexy of warnings and predictions of dire consequences. Funnily I feel most "at home" and safe in what will be my little bit of Isaan, with my Isaan wife and my Isaan family. The latter are honest, hard working people (my wife is too by the way :D ) and couldn't have been more hospitable and welcoming. They have never asked anything from me and when we drove back to Chiang Mai after our second visit with the family it was with 100 kilos of rice from the farm! They are those sort of folk. Isaan people are like people everywhere. You get mostly good and some bad.

We finish up our Chiang Mai lease on 31 October and move into Gaun's mother's house which we set up with a hot water shower and western toilet last visit, the essential farang basics! and get started on our build in Si Bun Ruang almost straight away. I will post details of the land, trucking in soil and the house design in the Your Building Story forum soon or you can read some of it on my blog tonyinthailand.com in the meantime (MJV12 you can remove this if it breaches forum rules - it has no advertising). I will start sharing the build with you all once it gets going.

I look forward to chatting with some of you over the next few months and tapping into the wealth of knowledge you have to offer.

Cheers.

Tony and Gaun.
Thaipom26

Re: Hi from Tony and Gaun

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Thaipom26 wrote:the essential farang basics!

I take it that means a bar fridge, bar-b-que and satellite TV.
Another Canberra ex public servant whose gone bush. Good luck and looking forward to the build. I hope your boring job was not with the Department of Taxation......but then you wouldn't admit that anyway.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:05 pm

Welcome to the two of you

PS I too was once an Aussie, but saw the light and left for good

I am over by the Si Thani Gold Forrest, near Ban Tat, a stones throw away, i think

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Ians » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:29 pm

Welcome from another Aussie - also decided it was time for a major change, enjoy the fun.
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:40 pm

A warm welcome from a non-Aussie.

Sounds like you have thought this through very well and appear to be very lucky with the wife and her family. Chok dee

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Welcome from another non-Australian although much of my family is and proudly so. (It must be the alcohol content in the wine.)

I have only one piece of advice for you in advance and that is to get yourself a wall or fence and a gate with a lock because family and others will all be wandering in and out of your place at will, as is the custom.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:06 pm

It looks as if we are near neighbours. Our place is about 9km from Non Sa-At going in your general direction.

It's getting to be quite a few in the area :D

You can easily see our land on the satellite maps in the link here http://meekings.selfip.com/nui/Groups-of-photos/Thailand/Thailand.html
Google is the best at the moment, it looks as if it was taken in May this year. And has our new construction.

Apple is bad too many clouds and Bing is about 3 years old.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby jomoblues » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:20 am

I'm an (ex) pom and would like to add my welcome too. It seems from reading through your two threads that you have done your homework. Good luck with your build.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby Thaipom26 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks for all the welcomes from both Aussies and non-Aussies! I have been following this forum for some time and am always impressed with how friendly people are. Even the vigorous debates over topics such as silver foil and insulation are conducted in a pretty civilised way :D

Funny you mentioned a BBQ Roger because I actually took out a small mortgage and bought one in Chiang Mai. It gave me some grief that I was paying over twice the price of picking the same thing up at Barbeques Galore back in Australia. The job wasn't with Taxation. My department was more concerned with spending public money rather than collecting it!

I am very pleased to hear that there are some forum people in the local area. I saw a few farang in Si Bun Runag on my last visit but realise that many are just passing through seeing the wife/girlfriend's family before heading back to "civilisation" and the bright lights of the coast. It is good that there are some of us making a real life in this area. Hopefully we can catch up sometime after we move there permanently in November.

I noticed Google maps had been updated Sometimewoodworker. The latest version had our cleared land on it and was of a far better quality than the previous effort. I have used a sample of it to illustrate my first entry in the "My Building Story" section.

Thanks again all.
Thaipom26

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:13 am

Thaipom26 wrote:I am very pleased to hear that there are some forum people in the local area. I saw a few farang in Si Bun Runag on my last visit but realise that many are just passing through seeing the wife/girlfriend's family before heading back to "civilisation" and the bright lights of the coast. It is good that there are some of us making a real life in this area. Hopefully we can catch up sometime after we move there permanently in November.

I noticed Google maps had been updated Sometimewoodworker. The latest version had our cleared land on it and was of a far better quality than the previous effort. I have used a sample of it to illustrate my first entry in the "My Building Story" section.

The update to google maps has happened in the last few days or weeks as before they were about 8 years old and lower resolution.

Unfortunately I've just found that though we are about 60 km away as the crow flys we are in fact about 130km as the Thai drives, so not such near neighbours.

Nui and I are still visiting regularly, not resident yet, to do work on our future house garden.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Thaipom26 wrote:Funny you mentioned a BBQ Roger because I actually took out a small mortgage and bought one in Chiang Mai. It gave me some grief that I was paying over twice the price of picking the same thing up at Barbeques Galore back in Australia. The job wasn't with Taxation. My department was more concerned with spending public money rather than collecting it!

I'm certainly pleased to see that you are assimilating to the climate of Thailand quite well and have already mortgaged the plot of land to buy the necessary equipment to survive. (We do love photos on this forum because as they say, photos speak a thousand words) :D and also, I want to see if your "Barbi" is bigger than mine.
Coming from cold, bleak, sterile Canberra, where the only rays of sunshine are people like Mungo MacCallum and other nonconformists I can understand why you would be a bit peeved at taking out the mini mortgage on the said "Barbi" after working for ASIO (a guess) where money grows on trees and slush funds are the norm, along with paranoia at being the most junior of Australia's frontline battle against the "dark spawn" invasion from "middle earth" and the fact that the dastardly Chinese have already bugged the new monolithic building before it was even moved into.
Having lived within a stone's throw (Cooma and its surrounds) and vsitied The Capital many times, I'm sure the peace and tranquility and simple life of being in the bush will suit you down to the ground (just watch the thieving builders, relatives, their friends and other near neighbours) and the next item on the mini mortgage agenda will be the mandatory CCTV.
I'm pleased to say that finally the Aussies here might just be in greater numbers than all the moaning Poms. Mike excluded :D , he's a half caste anyway.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:[I'm pleased to say that finally the Aussies here might just be in greater numbers than all the moaning Poms. Mike excluded :D , he's a half caste anyway.

That's very generous of you R.R. After 54 years I think it's the least I deserve, but I'am afraid I haven't lost the Cockney accent. "You know what I mean"
Mike Judd

Postby Thaipom26 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Roger. At the risk of being banned from the forum before I even get started by uploading non-building related photos and also getting off topic this is my BBQ below. I may get away with this post based on the high regard you are held within the community, except maybe from Mike, and this reply is part of the introduction process?

DSC_0171.JPG
Toasting the BBQ with a Sangsom and coke, which I don't mind.

Now on the show and tell "mine is bigger than yours" competition I am thinking that you might have a large Beefeater type rig in which case I'm stuffed. However I bought this one because it heats up to 200 degrees c in 5 minutes and replaces the need to have an oven. I can use it to cook a roast, if one could find anything decent to roast here, bread and pizzas as well as the straight BBQ meats.

I loved your take on Canberra and the Australian scene, which describes it nicely, although joking aside I find the whole thing quite depressing. Australian's are not alone in despairing of the freedoms being fast eroded to ensure we are all "safe" from those "dark spawn".

I have to say that after Canberra a small Isaan village is a very different world indeed. Whatever the take on Thai intrusion into one's life we will never die alone here. In Canberra and countries like Australia if living alone it can be weeks before anyone notices. During winter, as you'd know being a Cooma boy, the whole place goes into hibernation until Spring. I actually mostly enjoy my interaction with Thais. My new family are great fun and not intrusive at all. Time will tell.

Security seems to be a constant underlying theme on the forum, although more from the locally based spawn. I will do more research on the topic once we get going on the build.
Thaipom26

Postby MGV12 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Thaipom26 wrote:Funny you mentioned a BBQ Roger because I actually took out a small mortgage and bought one in Chiang Mai. It gave me some grief that I was paying over twice the price of picking the same thing up at Barbeques Galore back in Australia. The job wasn't with Taxation. My department was more concerned with spending public money rather than collecting it!

I'm certainly pleased to see that you are assimilating to the climate of Thailand quite well and have already mortgaged the plot of land to buy the necessary equipment to survive. (We do love photos on this forum because as they say, photos speak a thousand words) :D and also, I want to see if your "Barbi" is bigger than mine.
Coming from cold, bleak, sterile Canberra, where the only rays of sunshine are people like Mungo MacCallum and other nonconformists I can understand why you would be a bit peeved at taking out the mini mortgage on the said "Barbi" after working for ASIO (a guess) where money grows on trees and slush funds are the norm, along with paranoia at being the most junior of Australia's frontline battle against the "dark spawn" invasion from "middle earth" and the fact that the dastardly Chinese have already bugged the new monolithic building before it was even moved into.
Having lived within a stone's throw (Cooma and its surrounds) and vsitied The Capital many times, I'm sure the peace and tranquility and simple life of being in the bush will suit you down to the ground (just watch the thieving builders, relatives, their friends and other near neighbours) and the next item on the mini mortgage agenda will be the mandatory CCTV.
I'm pleased to say that finally the Aussies here might just be in greater numbers than all the moaning Poms. Mike excluded :D , he's a half caste anyway.

Wow RR ... you really are from 'Another Place' aren't you! :) :D :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Thaipom26 wrote:Now on the show and tell "mine is bigger than yours" competition I am thinking that you might have a large Beefeater type rig in which case I'm stuffed.

Thanks for the photo of the Barbi and I will concede as I do not have a Beefeater.
As far as the roasts are concerned there are a number of Thai supermarkets that carry them. Tops and Villa. Villa also carries Aussie meat pies, NZ hamburgers, Vegemite and other Aussie goodies.
Sorry about the bad guess (ASIO) but it was the only public service agency that I could think of that has an abundance of public money to give away with little or no accounting.
I went to a lot of Veterans and War Widows Tribunals in Canberra and I found it to be a totally depressing, sterile place with very few bright spots. VVCS and VRB being the exceptions.
Your build should be interesting.... a builder wanting plans is a rarity.
Roger Ramjet

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself