Help, please

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Help, please

Postby kalasiner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi all
Have been here in LOS for a year now. My only "experience" with houses was buying a semi
in Sussex in the early 70's. Sold it 2 years later at a 100% profit; a grand 35k...they are now going for around 300k !
Hope to get some help with building a house in...yes, you guessed right....province Kalasin
Thanks
kalasiner

Re: Help, please

Postby fredlk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 am

kalasiner wrote:Hope to get some help with building a house

Welcome. My advice for starters is to read as many building stories here as you can and to make notes, lots of notes.
fredlk

Postby kalasiner » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks fredlk for your friendly welcome. You are an early riser !
Yes, I have become an avid reader and note- taker of CTH since deciding to build. A great site,thanks.
A bit overwhelming, if fascinating, for someone who doesn't know his rebar from his steel truss. But one thing I have learnt in TH is that patience is an absolute necessity, not just a virtue !
kalasiner

Postby olavhome » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:34 pm

But also:
Stay on site.
Double check all by yourself.
Careful involving Family.
Dont pay to much in advance.
Good Luck :-)
olavhome

Postby kalasiner » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks olavhome.
Unfortunately I'm not in the best of health and simply won't have the strength or
nerves to stay on the site and double check everything.
The house will be on my wife's land..half rai.. and it looks like my architect, engineer,
supervisor and builder will be my BIL who lives across the road. He has no formal qualifications
but is a very capable hand worker. He has recently finished his own house which seems ok to me. Most importantly, he is absolutely honest and trustworthy.
No risk of paying too much in advance, or at all !! Thanks to greedy divorce lawyers, my
total budget is only 1.3m
Obviously my demands are not high. As long as it doesn't fall down and is rain-proof, I will be
happy.
Good luck; I suspect I'll need it !
kalasiner

Postby olavhome » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:30 pm

There is an old saying that "Most worries dont come true" :D
Guess it help if you keep yourself informed daily about progress and also of next days plans and careful to tell him what you like and him to check out, it will help.
And, maybe the most importance, that your wife take real interest in the build together with BIL.
She can be your eyes and ears, just tell her about someone else here on the forum called his wife a "real Diamond" :wink:
olavhome

Postby kalasiner » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:45 pm

olavhome "There is an old saying that "Most worries dont come true."
But there's another saying, confirmed often on CTH, "If something can go wrong, it will."
I'm sure my wife will keep a very close eye on the build; in reality it is HER house, after all.
As an Ami would say, "In my wife and BIL I trust."
I am quite confident....famous last words ??!!
kalasiner

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:47 am

kalasiner wrote:Thanks olavhome.
Unfortunately I'm not in the best of health and simply won't have the strength or
nerves to stay on the site and double check everything.
The house will be on my wife's land..half rai.. and it looks like my architect, engineer,
supervisor and builder will be my BIL who lives across the road. He has no formal qualifications
but is a very capable hand worker. He has recently finished his own house which seems ok to me. Most importantly, he is absolutely honest and trustworthy.
No risk of paying too much in advance, or at all !! Thanks to greedy divorce lawyers, my
total budget is only 1.3m
Obviously my demands are not high. As long as it doesn't fall down and is rain-proof, I will be
happy.
Good luck; I suspect I'll need it !

If you look at "Grand mums new house" you can see what can be done for about ฿360,000 so if your careful and modest about what you want 1.3m can easily be enough
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Welcome aboard.

there is a heap of good advice in here but also some not so good - you need read carefully and weigh up the advice given and the replies if any to that advice.

There are a few points you need to pay attention to and ensure that what is being done is done correctly.
1. Electrics -- you life as well as others depends on it.
2. Water supply and waste water (sewage etc) get it right - no short-cuts otherwise you will have problems.
3. Good roof - no leaks in the wet session and preferably properly insulated for your comfort.
4. well fitting doors, windows and fly screens.
5. Pay attention to wall, windows etc being exposed to direct sunlight - again your comfort .
Good luck with your build.
Ians

Postby sirineou » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Welcome to the forum :D
Here are some building tips I found useful when building a house in Thailand
Foundations are made out of concrete with stuff in it, and consequently not very nice to look at, so I bury it in the ground. On the other hand , roofs in Thailand, are made of pretty tiles and are very attractive. I like to put my roofs on top of the house for every one to see, putting it anywhere else would not be as attractive IMHO.
Once you have squared away your foundation and roof, you can concentrate on the rest of the house. I have found that locating the windows on the walls not only is more pleasing to the eye (everyone seems to be doing it lately) but eliminates the problem of your guests falling in to your crawl space.
And finally, doors. Doors are very important and one should not try to save money by eliminating them. They work best when oriented vertically in a wall leading to the area you want to gain access to, and if the house is elevated, putting a landing and stairs in front of it can be helpful though not always necessary.
I hope the above information has helped, Again Welcome to the forum and don't sweat it, There is a lot more useful information about building where this came from. :mrgreen:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:08 pm

sirineou wrote:There is a lot more useful information about building where this came from.

Heaven forbid. :lol:
fredlk

Postby kalasiner » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Thank you Gentlemen for your warm welcome.
A special thanks for sirineou: Having understood most of your professional and technical advice, I almost think I'm a building expert instead of the dummy I thought I was !
I'm leaving tomorrow for a 2 week trip to Europe. When I return I will immerse myself in CTH
and probably pester you with a load of stupid questions. You have been warned !
kalasiner

Return to Introduce Yourself