Another newbi

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Another newbi

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi guys, my name is andy.
I too plan to build something in chiang mai, just dont know what yet.
I have built a luxury home in Australia, a few renos and an apartment build in a warehouse. So i have some experience-- IN Australia!
Thailand is a different story, but not that hard to get around. I have spent the last year and a half doing my research
On how , why and where.
Things that i think are necessary to comprehend. Most thai homes have an energy rating of 0.x.
Why on earth, when its 30-34 day in and day out would you build walls facing the sun with red bricks?
Do people here like to have the "heater" on all night,? Or the aircon 24/7. Hasnt anyone heard about reducing your energy consumption, hence your power bill? Qcon as a bare minimum PLEASE.
I have been modelling alternate materials which wont add that much more to a build, based on whats available in Australia. I have sourced local supplies and doing further research. I will incorporate these in my future build. Suffice to say, r ratings of the walls can be 3.8.( Standard brick veneer with sisilation is about 1.8. ) Or in australian terms, 5-6 star. If your a falang living here, why on earth would you build a 0 star energy rated house? Do people think thailand is immune to future energy price increases? People move here and leave their brains behind, lol.
Anyway, love to read everyone posts. Some make me laugh. I just read about "foil" works. Hahahahahaha hello commet!.
Well its better late than never. Maybe it may inspire him to take the next step. I hope we can contribute to everyones knowledge base. In the immortal words of an aussie boxer,
love yas all
Andy
Andyfteeze

Re: Another newbi

Postby sirineou » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Andyfreeze welcome to the forum
a great name given the subject you chose to open with in this forum :)
You make some good points in reference to heat mitigation in Thailand.
One thing to consider is the orientation of the building in the property and it's relation to other structures or trees for shade.
One tool I use is Google Sketch-Up where I model all my designs. In Sketch-Up you have some very powerful tools, one of them is " Shadows".
You can set the location preference to Thailand, and adjust the shadows by Month, Day and time of the day, to see where you get the most sun at the hottest part of the day, and decide on measures to mitigate the affect, Also if planing Trees, you can find their optimum location for best affect.

Again , Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to hearing more from you :D
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:45 pm

See , already usefull info.
We have been looking at a block of land . We have about two weeks to think about it. I have been stalling hoping the slow realestate market would work in our favour, but alas it doesnt work like that here in chiang mai, lol.
Definitely keep windows shaded from the sun, even double glazed windows. I am trying to keep an open mind on everything.even thai style of building - concrete frame, brick infill. It does have advantages and disadvantages. My idea is to use the good bits and use my experience to make the worst aspecs the best. Passive cooling and low heat conducting materials. Nothing new here, but new to thailand. Maybe i can make a difference.
Andyfteeze

Postby pipoz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:See , already usefull info.
We have been looking at a block of land . We have about two weeks to think about it. I have been stalling hoping the slow realestate market would work in our favour, but alas it doesnt work like that here in chiang mai, lol.
Definitely keep windows shaded from the sun, even double glazed windows. I am trying to keep an open mind on everything.even thai style of building - concrete frame, brick infill. It does have advantages and disadvantages. My idea is to use the good bits and use my experience to make the worst aspecs the best. Passive cooling and low heat conducting materials. Nothing new here, but new to thailand. Maybe i can make a difference.

Why not put build a Verandah style (say with a 2 meter overhang), on the South side, which is the side that gets most of the sun during the Year. That with a few bush trees along the southern side for some added shade. The North side will only get direct sun for about six weeks of the year in Udon Thani, so it should be about the same in Chang Mai

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:16 am

You are in the position to start from scratch as you haven't even bought the land yet. It's all about orientation which considers the sun and any views, then you decide how to place your house on that land. East and North are not usually a problem, West can be, with that hot afternoon sun shining straight into the house, North can be solved with a big verandah or eaves that will keep out the sun except for the so called winter months. Double skin Q-Con or similar blocks are the best insulated walls. Some may not think it's effective ,but I went for making sure as many rooms as possible (If not all) had doors or windows on both sides to catch any possible breezes from what ever direction. Mine is a big U shape, but a H would be even better if the land is bigger enough. In practise I've found it works pretty well without Air-Con for me,but obviously it depends on how one copes with the tropical climate. I find the difference in temperatures with an Air-con house and when you go outside ,a bit too much, so I just tried to build making sure no hot air gets trapped in the house or the roof space , especially in the evening when it usually cools off outside.A house built with Air-Con in mind though would be all about "Insulation", the walls, double glazed windows and the ceilings, then it would be a bit like a Thermos flask that doesn't allow the outside to effect the inside temperate. Good luck with it anyway. :D :D
Mike Judd

Postby pipoz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Mike Judd wrote:You are in the position to start from scratch as you haven't even bought the land yet. It's all about orientation which considers the sun and any views, then you decide how to place your house on that land. East and North are not usually a problem, West can be, with that hot afternoon sun shining straight into the house, North can be solved with a big verandah or eaves that will keep out the sun except for the so called winter months. Double skin Q-Con or similar blocks are the best insulated walls. Some may not think it's effective ,but I went for making sure as many rooms as possible (If not all) had doors or windows on both sides to catch any possible breezes from what ever direction. Mine is a big U shape, but a H would be even better if the land is bigger enough. In practise I've found it works pretty well without Air-Con for me,but obviously it depends on how one copes with the tropical climate. I find the difference in temperatures with an Air-con house and when you go outside ,a bit too much, so I just tried to build making sure no hot air gets trapped in the house or the roof space , especially in the evening when it usually cools off outside.A house built with Air-Con in mind though would be all about "Insulation", the walls, double glazed windows and the ceilings, then it would be a bit like a Thermos flask that doesn't allow the outside to effect the inside temperate. Good luck with it anyway. :D :D

Mine is a smaller U Shape adopting, the same principle, of allowing the air to flow through the house (in and out) via a number of external door (5) & window openings (8)

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:23 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:I hope we can contribute to everyones knowledge base. In the immortal words of an aussie boxer,
love yas all

Andy,
I believe Aussie boxing legend, triple world crown holder Jeff Fenech's famous words are "Love Youse All", using the correct Aussie spelling and vernacular. :D
Good luck with the build when you start, you have the priciples right at least and haven't fallen for the hogwash about "sustainable" and "passive cooling" that many talk about and then can't prove or justify. But I think they're all about budget and making themselves believe. My wife "sticky Tick" (who's an accountant) is a little like that, she believes in much of the propaganda that's touted on Thai TV and when I refused to use the cheap mean and nasty red bricks instead of double skinned superblock she actually sat down and worked out there wasn't much difference between the two.... except in heat retention and the ease of laying the superblock...time saved.
I'm also sure you'll get lots of feedback from the forum and don't forget the photos, we love photos, large photos for us old codgers as our eyesight is fading.
Look forward to seeing the start of your build in My Building Story.... it should be interesting.
Roger Ramjet

Postby faisal ali » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:14 pm

<Spam deleted - mod>
faisal ali

Return to Introduce Yourself