Jack&Amys house

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Jack&Amys house

Postby Jack&Amy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 am

If 10 years ago someone had told me I would have re-married,have 2 kids and be living in Thailand, the second word of my reply would have been ' off '....

Fast fwd 10 years and guess what....

I am 51, from the UK and since leaving school at 16 until now, worked as an electrician, hence I have a certain amount of building experience due to being on many many sites over the years......Here in Thailand 9 years now, I install generator back up systems, AV equipment and home automation along with mainly new electrical installations to private villas and homes...

2 years ago , we bought 8+ rai of land, 2 rai is a pond,lake even and the remainder ex rice field.....It has Chanote land papers,electric and water nearby and is only 10km from the mother in laws place....Plus, and dont ask me how or why, but it came with a Tabian Baan.....The previous Thai owner had built an open shelter with a concrete base and this must have been enough to get the blue book..

The land is flat, prone to flooding in the rainy season and the soil contains alot of clay and hence holds the water a treat... I have neighbours on all 4 sides of the land who have directed their flood water onto our land ( nice of them ), they steal the fish from the pond and use my pond water to irrigate their fields in the dry season...While the cats away springs to mind....

Feb this year.......we filled 6+ Rai of land 50cm deep to start with at a cost of 410,000 Baht.......Going rate with every 10 wheel lorry carrying fill ( Thom Din ) we stopped and asked was 120K per rai for 1m fill.......Now I know probably no one else has done this, certainly I dont recall ever reading it on CTH, but I actually got a permit to fill the land....Why ??? Because I was concerned the neighbours might complain once their flood relief system had been spoiled and getting rid of 400K worth of fill would cost much more than the 6000 Baht I had to pay the Or Bor Tor for the permit....Permit took about 2 weeks to get and drawings had to be supplied but this was all taken care of by the Or Bor Tor engineer's mate :wink:

I will start a thread once building is ready to start.......Currently I am working and will continue to do so for as long as work keeps coming in.....I live 900km from the land and realistically it will be at least 1 year away...

I will continue to read the building story posts with much interest......I am learning just how careful one has to be here. I, along with many others am saying to myself ' I aint gonna let that happen to me' but I bet it does....

Thanks to ThaiPete, first time I saw the official fee for the build permit...

Lastly, building contracts......I read on CTH that they are available from the Tessabaan in Thai language, has anyone ever had one translated into English ? If not, when I'm ready to move on, I will post one here...

All the best

Jack&Amy
Jack&Amy

Re: Jack&Amys house

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 am

Jack&Amy wrote:I actually got a permit to fill the land....

A very wise move so I think you're already ahead of some of us in preparing for eventualities.
Good luck.
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Welcome aboard Jack! Can't remember where I got this but maybe Amy can decipher it for you.

Did a lot of building here and never used one, Google translate helps a bit.

Thing to remember is never prepay for work if you can help it.

-สัญญาว่าจ้างก่อสร้าง
เขียนที่…………………………………………...
เมื่อวันที่…………เดือน……………………..พ.ศ…………….
สัญญาฉบับนี้ทำขึ้นระหว่าง…………………………………………………..…….อ ายุ………….ปี
อยู่บ้านเลขที่…………..ตรอก/ซอย……………………….……….ถนน…………………………………….
ตำบล/แขวง……………………………...อำเภอ/เขต…………………….จังหวัด…………………………
.ซึ่งต่อไปในสัญญาจะเรียกว่า “ผู้ว่าจ้าง” ฝ่ายหนึ่ง
กับ………………………………………………………………..อยู่บ้านเลขที่………………… ….
ตรอก/ซอย…………………………………………….ถนน……………………………………….………..
แขวง/ตำบล…………………………………..….....เขต/อำเภอ……………………….……..………………
จังหวัด………..………..…….……..……….ซึ่งต่อไปในสัญญานี้จะเ รียกว่า “ผู้รับจ้าง” อีกฝ่ายหนึ่ง
ทั้งสองฝ่ายได้ตกลงกันดังมีข้อความต่อไปนี้
ข้อ 1. ผู้ว่าจ้างตกลงจ้าง และผู้รับจ้างตกลงรับจ้างปลูกสร้างอาคาร………………… .ชั้น ลงใน
ที่ดินที่ผู้ว่าจ้างเป็นเจ้าของกรรมสิทธิ์ โฉนดหมายเลขที่……………..เลขที่ดิน……………..หน้าสำรว จ
………………ตำบล…………………………อำเภอ…………………………จังหวัด……………….… …
ตามแบบแปลนและรายละเอียดของงานที่แนบท้ายมาและให้ถือ เป็นส่วนหนึ่งของสัญญานี้
ข้อ 2. ผู้รับจ้างตกลงจะทำการก่อสร้างตามสัญญาข้อ 1. ให้เสร็จสิ้นภายในกำหนด…………วัน
นับแต่วันทำสัญญานี้ซึ่งตรงกับ วันที่…………..เดือน…………………………พ.ศ……………….
ในกรณีที่เกิดเหตุสุดวิสัยใดๆ ที่ไม่อาจหลีกเลี่ยงได้และเป็นเหตุให้การก่อสร้างดัง กล่าวต้องหยุดชะงัก
ลงโดยมิใช่ความผิดของฝ่ายผู้รับจ้าง ก็ให้กำหนดเวลาดังกล่าวในวรรคก่อนออกไปเท่าที่สูญเสี ยไปเพราะ
เหตุดังกล่าว
ข้อ 3. ผู้ว่าจ้างตกลงชำระค่าจ้างให้แก่ผู้รับจ้างเป็นเงินท ั้งสิ้น………………………….……บาท
(…………..…………………………………….) โดยจะชำระค่าจ้างให้เป็นงวด ๆ รวม…………งวด โดย
จ่ายตามผลสำเร็จของงาน ซึ่งมีรายละเอียดการชำระค่าจ้างดังนี้
งวดที่ 1 ชำระเงินค่าจ้าง จำนวน……………………….บาท (……………...……………………)
เมื่อผู้รับจ้างได้ทำการก่อสร้าง………………………………………………… …………แล้วเสร็จ
งวดที่ 2 ชำระเงินค่าจ้าง จำนวน……………...……….บาท (……………...……………………)
เมื่อผู้รับจ้างได้ทำการก่อสร้าง………………………………………………… ……………………แล้วเสร็จ
Page 1
งวดที่ 3 ชำระเงินค่าจ้าง จำนวน…………..…………….บาท (…………………….……………)
งวดที่ 4 ชำระเงินค่าจ้าง จำนวน…………..…………….บาท (………………….....……………)
หากผู้ว่าจ้างผิดสัญญาไม่ชำระเงินค่าจ้างแก่ผู้รับจ้ างตามสัญญาข้อนี้ ไม่ว่างวดใดก็ตามผู้รับจ้างมี
สิทธิบอกเลิกสัญญานี้ได้ทันที และให้ถือว่ากรรมสิทธิ์ของอาคารเป็นของผู้รับจ้างโดย ไม่จำต้องคืนเงินค่าจ้าง
ที่ได้รับไว้แล้ว หากเกิดความเสียหายใด ๆ เนื่องจากการไม่ชำระค่าจ้างตามสัญญาข้อนี้ ผู้ว่าจ้างเป็นผู้รับผิด
ชอบชดใช้ค่าเสียหายนั้นแก่ผู้รับจ้างด้วย
ข้อ 4. วัสดุเครื่องมืออุปกรณ์ที่ใช้ในการก่อสร้างรวมทั้งสั มภาระต่าง ๆ ที่จำเป็นให้………………
…………….เป็นผู้จัดหา ซึ่งจะต้องใช้วัสดุอุปกรณ์ตามขนาด และคุณภาพดังที่แจ้งไว้ในรายละเอียดแนบ
ท้ายสัญญานี้
ข้อ 5. หากผู้ว่าจ้างประสงค์จะทำการแก้ไขเปลี่ยนแปลงก่อสร้า ง ผู้ว่าจ้างจะต้องแจ้งให้ผู้รับจ้าง
ทราบเป็นลายลักษณ์อักษร โดยผู้ว่าจ้างจะเป็นผู้ออกค่าใช้จ่ายเอง แต่ผู้รับจ้างมีสิทธิที่จะยอมรับหรือไม่ยอม
รับการแก้ไขเปลี่ยนแปลงนั้น ๆ โดยคำนึงถึงความจำเป็นและผลเสียที่อาจเกิดขึ้นเนื่อง จากการแก้ไขเปลี่ยน
แปลงดังกล่าว
ข้อ 6. ผู้รับจ้างยินยอมให้ผู้ว่าจ้างหรือตัวแทนเข้าตรวจตรา อาคารที่ก่อสร้างเป็นครั้งคราวตาม
โอกาสที่สมควรแต่ผู้ว่าจ้างต้องไม่ขัดขวางหรือรบกวนก ารก่อสร้าง
ข้อ 7. หากผู้รับจ้างเห็นว่า งานที่ทำไม่อาจเสร็จสิ้นตามที่กำหนดไว้ในข้อสัญ ญาข้อ 2. ผู้รับจ้าง
จะเอางานส่วนใดส่วนหนึ่งแห่งสัญญาไปให้ผู้อื่นรับจ้า งช่วงอีกทอดหนึ่งได้ ต่อเมื่อได้รับอนุญาตเป็นลาย
ลักษณ์อักษรจากผู้ว่าจ้างก่อน
ข้อ 8. ผู้ว่าจ้างจะต้องตรวจรับมอบงานภายใน 7 วัน นับแต่วันที่ผู้รับจ้างได้มีหนังสือแจ้งไป
หากผู้ว่าจ้างไม่อาจตรวจสอบมอบงานภายในกำหนดให้ถือว่ า ผู้ว่าจ้างได้ตรวจรับมอบงานแล้วโดยปริยาย
ข้อ 9. ผู้รับจ้างยอมรับผิดชอบในความเสียหายใด ๆ ที่เกิดขึ้นเนื่องมาจากความบกพร่องในการ
ก่อสร้างของฝ่ายผู้รับจ้างภายใน………………วันนับแต่วันที ่ผู้ว่าจ้างรับมอบงานหรือถือว่ารับมอบงาน
ข้อ 10. หากผู้รับจ้างไม่ทำการส่งมอบงานที่เสร็จสิ้นทั้ งหมด โดยมิใช่ความผิดของผู้ว่าจ้างภายใน
กำหนดเวลาที่ระบุไว้ในข้อ 2. ผู้รับจ้างยินยอมให้ผู้ว่าจ้างเรียกร้องให้ชำระปรับว ันละ…………………บาท
(………………………………………….) จนกว่าจะส่งมอบงานที่เสร็จสิ้นทั้งหมด
สัญญานี้ทำขึ้นเป็นสองฉบับ มีข้อความถูกต้องตรงกัน โดยคู่สัญญายึดถือไว้ฝ่ายละหนึ่งฉบับ
คู่สัญญาได้อ่านและเข้าใจข้อความโดยตลอดแล้ว จึงลงลายมือชื่อไว้เป็นพยานหลักฐาน
Page 2
ลงชื่อ…………………………………………..ผู้ว่าจ้าง
( )
ลงชื่อ…………………………………………..ผู้รับจ้าง
( )
ลงชื่อ…………………………………………..พยาน
( )
ลงชื่อ…………………………………………..พยาน
( )
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Welcome to CTH Jack. If you want to know all about flood mitigation you might like to look at my build from here on: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=930
A lot of fish were stored in my swimming pool (indoor, still not completed... for MGV12's information) so the local Thais couldn't steal them from my cement render crew who stayed on, the garage/workshop was used as well.
It might also give you some idea about the height you might need to build your house above the land.
Electricians are always welcome here, although there might be a few arguments about that.
A word of caution about using any form of contract in Thailand, they're not worth the paper they're printed on as the Thai builders just change their name and move on, or send the summons back with "that person no longer lives at this address", even though they do under a "new" name. Don't forget, get three quotes and ask to see their previous work.
Good luck with your build, I look forward to reading all about it.
How are you going to keep the fishermen and water stealers out?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Jack&Amy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:06 pm

For MY rainwater, I will have land drainage into the pond,it should be able to cope now that the land has been raised.....The house will be much higher anyway, so now dramas there...The 50cm fill has already settled quite a bit, I might add to it later....

Hmmm, differing views about contracts....Thx BKKBILL for sending that.....I will re-read some of the build stories....

Fish.......planning a boundary wall of some type, possibly even barbed wire fencing as a short term fix....400M + of boundary wall will cost a fortune...My biggest problem is finding someone to do it regardless of cost....I'm talking mainly village builders only in this part of Thailand....My wife has a biggish family but none of them in the building game....I did see some decent work in mother in laws village just last weekend but this guy only has a motorbike and 10km is too far to travel for him....

I did have some plans drawn up previously and had just the one quote to carry out the structural work,roof work ( using Trilon roofing sheets ) and plastering which came out at 3.38 M Baht....No electric, plumbing, A/C, tiling etc etc....Cheap 'eh ????? I have revised the plans now, much smaller house and ready for the Thai guy to draw them up when I'm ready...

As far as I'm concerned, rebar,concrete etc. costs roughly the same for everyone , meaning big builder or village builder....I know near enough how much materials are going to cost for the house...Farang face must = $$$$ to the Thai man....
Jack&Amy

Postby Ians » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Welcome, Not having any of the wife's family in the building game puts you way in front.
Who ever you decide on to build needs watching like a hawk - many have good intentions and most are honest - but they don't understand western building techniques, your idea's or why you would ever want something different from the norm. You will get a lot of WHY? , and we don't do it that way or no can do.
Ians

Postby pipoz » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Jack&Amy wrote:If 10 years ago someone had told me I would have re-married,have 2 kids and be living in Thailand, the second word of my reply would have been ' off '....

Fast fwd 10 years and guess what....

I am 51, from the UK and since leaving school at 16 until now, worked as an electrician, hence I have a certain amount of building experience due to being on many many sites over the years......Here in Thailand 9 years now, I install generator back up systems, AV equipment and home automation along with mainly new electrical installations to private villas and homes...

All the best

Jack&Amy

Welcome and yes life does have its twists and turns.Where I come from we refer to Electrician's as "Sparky's"

Where will you build be?

pipo
pipoz

Postby Jack&Amy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Here's a pic of my pond / lake.......note the blue pipe irrigating my neighbours field, without permission of course !
Attachments
DSC02471.JPG
Stealing my water ?
Jack&Amy

Postby pipoz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi

I noticed your question to

Pipoz seems a sensible guy and makes decisions accordingly.........We all know black absorbs heat but I can't work out the logic of placing reflective foil directly under and touching the roof tiles, exactly where is that reflected heat supposed to go? back into the tile is my guess and back again to the foil..therefore heat tennis and I fail to see the benefit of the cost of the foil and it's installation...

As under the battens there is about a 40mm air space but would this 40mm air gap make any difference is my question to you? Is the outlay worth it? I have read some builds on CTH claiming that a 50mm air space is a good insulator when using 2 x skins of blockwork..

HI,

Just to clarify, I chose the roof tile because I simply wanted the look, as in the style and the color, without any concerns as to is their heat absorption properties, knowing I could deal with the thermal aspects of the house in other ways. I just wanted that look.

With regards to the "Reflective Foil straight under the tile, I only intended to use the foil, purely be a "membrane " for the purpose of catching any condensation that might build up under the roof tile in the evening. We get several months of high day time humidity in Udon Thani some cool evenings. Whilst I expect that space directly under the roof tile will breath a little the dark tiles can to attract condensation on the underside in the evenings, as the temperature cools down outside and the tile is still warm. I only ever intended the reflective foil to act as a membrane to catch that moisture build up so that it didn't drop onto my ceiling below.

In my design, I have ignored any thermal property benefit that can be gained from the reflective foil, as I will treat the roof space and the ceiling and house insulation in a separate manner. I intend to move air from outside into the roof space by way of several in line fans and an outside to inside duct system. In short I will bring fresh cooler air into the roof space in the evening if needed. I also intend to have a complete thermal blanket across the top of my ceiling area. This will or should effectively eliminate any heat from the darks tiles finding its way to my living areas. Also my ceilings are quiet high
a combination of 3.0 & 3.3 meters above floor level.

When it comes to controlling the temperature within the living areas, three sides of my house particularly the south side and the west all have large overhang Verandah's and will also be well shaded so as to prevent the direct sun onto the external walls and 50% of these external walls will be a double block skin with an air gap.

If it all fails, I will just turn on the ceiling fans and AC's inside, when I need to, or employ a good Punkawalla :)

Placing the reflective foil under the battens in UK and having an air gap between the foil and underside of the roof tile, where the main aim is to keep the heat in and warm the house. Also facing the shiny side of the foil down to reflect heat back into the roof space back and towards the living area. I gather it is expensive to warm a house in UK so every bit helps and UK doesn't have a heat *& humidity issue like Thailand (Udon Thani) does.

Hope this helps :lol:

Pipoz
pipoz

Postby Ians » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:18 pm

The idea of the foil under the tiles - shiny side down has nothing to do with reflection, the shiny side down on aluminium foil is a very poor transmitter of heat - therefore the shiny side goes down to help reduce heat build up in the roof space. Shiny side up as a reflector would very quickly be covered in dust which would negate any reflection properties in any case.

I am currently investigating the heat build up in my roof space - I am monitoring the temp. throughout the day and reduction in heat during the evening - probably not the best time of year to it - however I will gain some information and redo it again in mid-summer.
Ians

Return to Introduce Yourself