Lifelong dream come true

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Lifelong dream come true

Postby Happy-Chap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:18 pm

xmas 01.jpg
Over 40 years ago after breaking up with my first girlfriend heartbroken I wanted to take a holiday and dinner with some friends I was considering going to India but my Thai friend, recently retired chairman of an advertising company suggested Thailand and so on a one way ticket I embarked on a journey which would change my life forever.
My first wife was from Chiang Rai and I remember taking a photo of a very small basic Thai house on stilts, I was enchanted.
So I am now building this[img]
xmas%2001.jpg
[/img]
It is for my second wife's parents who although are of a similar age to me through the rigours of work are sadly not in best of health.
I have been reading this forum I think from when it first started and have spent so many hours reading I can't count all the threads I have read which obviously I enjoyed and marvelled at what amazing homes you have created and the stories attached to them
The government in their infinite wisdom have retired me so I am planning to be here for at least 6 months a year.
I am planning a shipping container dwelling and I love bamboo.
I was previously living here for 5 years then UK 5 years and have been back 2 weeks in which time I have shredded my feet, badly sunburnt but TIT and mi pen rai, as they say.
I have plumbing and electrical carpentry and p&d skills but UK style so would appreciate any help advice.
Happy-Chap

Re: Lifelong dream come true

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Welcome to CTH hope all those dreams come true, although this being Thailand they will in most likelihood be quite different. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pipoz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Happy-Chap wrote:
xmas 01.jpg

I have plumbing and electrical carpentry and p&d skills but UK style so would appreciate any help advice.

Welcome aboard, where will you be building?

Your plumbing, electrical and carpentry skill are likely to be far more advanced/superior to those of your local Thai Builder

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Happy-Chap » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:31 pm

[attachment=0]IMG-20131211-WA0004.jpg[/attachment
Thanks guys
having been coming here for 40 years I don't know how much I have lost but biggest rip off artist was actually English friend of 7 years so there you go.
House is in Klaeng half way between Rayong and Chantaburi about 20 mins to the beach.
I didn't employ the builder family did he is a neighbour there but although I think he is illiterate I have seen the work he has done which looks great and although my Thai is so so he is hands on and I can communicate with him fine as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I showed him "chairs" the little welded pieces to get the steel in the middle of the concrete and he had no idea but quickly understood.
I have been reading this forum from the original site extremely happy to be a part of it
Attachments
IMG-20131211-WA0004.jpg
Happy-Chap

Postby Ians » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Welcome aboard, good luck with your building venture, just hope you are still calling yourself Happy-Chap as you near the end of your build programme.
Ians

Postby schuimpge » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:34 am

Welcome indeed, look forward to your build. It's been a bit silent lately with builds popping up.
For the rebar-chairs, thought them better to be made of concrete. Use PVC rings, 2-3" and put a piece of steel wire in to easily tie the to the rebar after removing the PVC.
That way, there's no steel on the surface that could start rusting away.

Good luck with the build,
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:48 am

With any slab on the ground ,it depends on how fussy or more important ,how particular you want to be. To go the whole way in moisture prevention to your slab or the steel reinforcement, the base should be a layer of rubble /stone /broken bricks and sand covered by a plastic membrane which comes in various thicknesses according to cost, which not only stops the water with cement soaking out from the concrete but puts a glassy hard finish on the underneath of the slab which in it's turn protects the slab even after the plastic may have deteriorated. Then your chairs if made of steel should be plastic tipped, but if not available as usual in Thailand, non absorbent concrete blocks are better. The all plastic chairs that you can get in the West don't seem to have made it here yet. Lifting the mesh as you go is perfectly O.K. if done efficiently. All of this depends on whether you want the slab to out last you. ? As pointed out it's the steel in the concrete that needs the protection from moisture, that's why the amount of cover varies with it's exposure to the elements.
Mike Judd

Postby Happy-Chap » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:49 am

Thanks Luc that’s brilliant already have some spare pipe on site.
Ians I am a very lucky guy I have a very beautiful clever ambitious wife who at the moment has just finished her first year of an Arts degree she is happy more than happy that I am here because I can take care of her parents. I plan to be here at least 6 months ideally 9 months so will always be a very Happy Chap
Mike thanks so much but house is raised prefab slabs being delivered tomorrow so still need chairs or not?
Bkk bill again thank you but I don’t quite understand the negativity
I have been reading this forum for many years but what can I say I am an optimist
Happy-Chap

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:31 am

Mike thanks so much but house is raised prefab slabs being delivered tomorrow so still need chairs or not?

Obviously not for moisture prevention to the reinforcing ,but what ever steel is in the concrete on top of the precast slabs needs to be raised up one way or the other when pouring, sufficiently to do it's job of providing Tensile strength to the slab at it's bottom where it's needed.( Using concrete precast slabs as permanent formwork for suspended floors went out long ago in the west, it's been replaced by Spandeck, which is a heavy gauge steel sheeting with key hole slots under to take the ceiling hanging brackets and any pipe work there. Very quick and labour saving which is more important in the west than Thailand where concrete products are more the go.)
Mike Judd

Postby Happy-Chap » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks Mike I got it and will do
Happy-Chap

Return to Introduce Yourself