Moving to Chiang Mai area?

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Moving to Chiang Mai area?

Postby Meerhof » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:10 pm

We, Henny (65) and Nico (67) Meerhof have been living in the Dutch countryside for more than 40 years. Both originating from big cities we prefer the peace and quiet. Our son is living in Chiang Mai since 2007. Since 2008 we have been in CM for several months every winter.

In the first year we thought "Oh my god! What a chaos!" Over the years we gradually got used to and even started to like most of this chaos. We even feel rather secure in the traffic be it as a pedestrian, on the bicycle or driving a car. At the moment we are contemplating moving to Thailand all-together. Since I am a lover of country-life We would not settle for a condominium. The surroundings of a house are as important to us as the house itself.Trees and plants have been my interest and business all my life so I need space to do some gardening.

We are considering the Mae Rim area or Hang Dong/Ban Pong area. Since we hate the road from Mae Rim to CM and look upon the Ban Pong area as more quiet and less spoilt we welcome any suggestions for this particular area.
We are in doubt about renting or buying and will consider both. As most houses for rent are either on small land sizes, not in the right environment, darkish or unattractive in other ways we are now looking into the possibility of having a house built.

The backward attitude towards foreign ownership is momentarily holding us back a little. We are looking into ways working around that. Any suggestions on this matter are welcome.
If we will start building we would certainly owe it to this inspiring site to post it.

Henny and Nico Meerhof
The Netherlands
Meerhof

Re: Moving to Chiang Mai area?

Postby MGV12 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Meerhof wrote:We, Henny (65) and Nico (67) Meerhof have been living in the Dutch countryside for more than 40 years. Both originating from big cities we prefer the peace and quiet. Our son is living in Chiang Mai since 2007. Since 2008 we have been in CM for several months every winter.

In the first year we thought "Oh my god! What a chaos!" Over the years we gradually got used to and even started to like most of this chaos. We even feel rather secure in the traffic be it as a pedestrian, on the bicycle or driving a car. At the moment we are contemplating moving to Thailand all-together. Since I am a lover of country-life We would not settle for a condominium. The surroundings of a house are as important to us as the house itself.Trees and plants have been my interest and business all my life so I need space to do some gardening.

We are considering the Mae Rim area or Hang Dong/Ban Pong area. Since we hate the road from Mae Rim to CM and look upon the Ban Pong area as more quiet and less spoilt we welcome any suggestions for this particular area.
We are in doubt about renting or buying and will consider both. As most houses for rent are either on small land sizes, not in the right environment, darkish or unattractive in other ways we are now looking into the possibility of having a house built.

The backward attitude towards foreign ownership is momentarily holding us back a little. We are looking into ways working around that. Any suggestions on this matter are welcome.
If we will start building we would certainly owe it to this inspiring site to post it.

Henny and Nico Meerhof
The Netherlands

Hello and welkom

Chiang Mai grows on you but like any new area takes a little adjusting to ... having visited here frequently you will be aware that it's growing on many others also; according to the frenzied activities of the developers.

Mae Rim has some beautiful locations but if you are north of the centre there will likely always be a bottleneck getting to CM itself via the centre ... as the road is restricted in size and further restricted by ignorant behaviour. The junction where the inner ring road 121 crosses the 107 will certainly improve the journey for areas south of the centre when the new underpass is eventually finished. I looked at all areas before settling here from England [also in 2007 like your son] and in my opinion the trip into CM centre from Hang Dong/San PaTong is just as much restricted as from Mae Rim ... we ended up in Maejo and with the four-lane 1001 highway now being developed from the Super-Highway through to Phrao and a third ring road having been approved we are very happy with the location. I have a good friend further out in Mae Teang ... the new road development means he will soon be able to easily connect across to the 1001 Phrao road from a new link and miss the Mae Rim centre bottleneck completely.

As both of you are Farang this move will take some thinking about but you will not be the first if you decide to go ahead :) As in any part of the world location, location, location is so important and in my opinion Chiang Mai is a good first step.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby schuimpge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:18 am

Hallo Henny en Nico,

Welkom, good to see more fellow Dutchmen. Regarding ownership, please be very careful, which I'm sure you've been told many times already, but good to always start with that warning. Thai governments are very inconsistent at best with applying laws, so a new government could easily mean that your construction suddenly becomes illegal! Happened many times and with a house you sure don't want that happening!

Having said that, as a foreign couple, I think the best construction would be, and I'm assuming your son is married to a Thai wife, to have land purchased by his wife, then lease or rent the land and build your house on it.
You can protect your property with a 'usefruct' construction I think they call it.
That way, until you decide to leave the property/Thailand, you will be protected from loosing your investment.

Others here might have better or different options, but that is what I would do..

Good luck with your build,
Kind regards,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby zebrafilm » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi from another Dutchman,

We just purchased land in Ban Pong in a small hidden village called Montrantong, if you are in for a little trip, drive up the road past Ban Pong and have a look in this place full of nice house, with gardens, space, rivers and quietness. There is only one half Rai left for sale but I also heard there are some houses rented out. I even heard that one of the bigger and more open houses (yes we agree about the dark Thai ones) will become available after the American family leaves this year.
Location on google: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m ... 9dab9ecbbf
It on the right side just after the big Krisadadoi resort and police station. Drive through the gate down and keep right.
We found this place 3 years ago and have spent 3 years looking for alternatives but were glad we could finally get it. Exactly the same reasons you are writing usually kept us from other areas.

Pictures/video's are on our site: http://house.zebrahosting.nl
You will also find our intro in this thread.

Succes! Bastiaan & Pat
zebrafilm

Postby Meerhof » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:23 am

Luc,Bastiaan,Pat,

Thank you for the comments. I will bring back my grandchildren to Thailand in a few weeks when their holidays are over. I will most certainly have a look at Montrantong at that occasion. I probably would prefer a situation like there among more foreigners over an original Thai village. Moo ban like situations with 200 m2 houses on 300 m2 land are nothing for me either. As my son is not married to a Thai national I will have to find other ways around the strange situation that I can own a house but not the land where it is built on. I have a Thai person that i know and trust and that is intelligent enough to understand and sign a complicated contract. Basically any contract would have to assure the right for me or my heirs to sell the combination of land and building at any given time. I have been speaking to a lawyer and it could be done. I would not mind letting someone have a 5 or 10.000 baht per month and a share of a possible profit for facilitating this. I will consider to lend the money to buy the land to the person I trust on the condition that a lifelong usufruct will be provided to my son or even to a grandchild. This will do away with the 30 year limitation of a lease and make it more advantageous for the person involved to cooperate in a possible sale of the property. Any brilliant ideas on this subject are of course very welcome.
Will be speaking with a Thai lawyer again mid Mai.

Thanks again.
Nico
Meerhof

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:17 am

Hello Henny and Nico welcome to CTH.

My wife and I have been living the Mae Taeng north of Chiang Mai for a couple of years now and can recommend it. We had been coming up from BKK looking for property in this area for quite a few years finally finding this place where we have built our home.

For us it is great but as you noticed going into Chiang Mai through Mae Rim is not a pleasant experience fortunately as MGV12 posted there is a new by-past to the 1001 that we used it for the first time yesterday making the trip most agreeable. There is also plans for another by-pass road west of Mae Rim.

There are some very nice plots around us with impressive views. I would be happy to show you around our area.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Return to Introduce Yourself