New Build in Phitsanulok

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

New Build in Phitsanulok

Postby Leo123 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen of the Coolthaihouse forums,

My name is Al from Scotland (41), I have been living in Phitsanulok for almost 11 years. I have been married for over 4 years and have 2 stepchildren, 2 dogs and a goldfish.
We have bought a half rai piece of land close to central Phitsanulok and plan to build a "Cool Thai House" there very shortly.
I have no experience building here in LOS as I have always rented, I will have a load of questions to ask before, during and after the build and I hope to gain some knowledge from the members here.

Thanks,
Al
Leo123

Re: New Build in Phitsanulok

Postby MGV12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Leo123 wrote:Hello Ladies & Gentlemen of the Coolthaihouse forums,

My name is Al from Scotland (41), I have been living in Phitsanulok for almost 11 years. I have been married for over 4 years and have 2 stepchildren, 2 dogs and a goldfish.
We have bought a half rai piece of land close to central Phitsanulok and plan to build a "Cool Thai House" there very shortly.
I have no experience building here in LOS as I have always rented, I will have a load of questions to ask before, during and after the build and I hope to gain some knowledge from the members here.

Thanks,
Al

Welcome Al.

Just one goldfish ... doesn't it get bored?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Leo123 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Thank you MGV12,

I plan to buy the goldfish a buddy if I have any money left over from the build :-)
Leo123

Postby MGV12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Leo123 wrote:Thank you MGV12,

I plan to buy the goldfish a buddy if I have any money left over from the build :-)

Give the poor goldfish a break ... that's a no-win scenario!

Good luck with your build anyway ... and be sure to keep us informed.

As a 'freshman' you are limited to 100 questions ... so think carefully. :wink:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Ians » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi Al
welcome aboard. I'm also in P/loke- if I can help in any way get in contact. Do you intend to build yourself or contract it out?
With the amount of development going on here - good builders are probably in short supply.
Ians

Postby Leo123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 am

G'day Ian,

Thanks for your reply.
We plan to contract the work out. We have spoken to one builder, who seems keen to do the work. He is drawing up some house plans which will be ready next weekend. Need to check the guy out some more as I haven't seen any of his previous builds yet.
We are not planning on building a huge mansion, just a relatively small manageable house. I don't like the standard 4 by 4 rooms here with posts everywhere so need to plan everything well. I am green to this, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank again,
Al
Leo123

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:32 am

Leo123 wrote:G'day Ian,

Thanks for your reply.
We plan to contract the work out. We have spoken to one builder, who seems keen to do the work. He is drawing up some house plans which will be ready next weekend. Need to check the guy out some more as I haven't seen any of his previous builds yet.
We are not planning on building a huge mansion, just a relatively small manageable house. I don't like the standard 4 by 4 rooms here with posts everywhere so need to plan everything well. I am green to this, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank again,
Al

The main thing to keep in mind is that however keen the workers are, and whatever they say. Never pay for work that hasn't been done to your satisfaction.

Without the incentive of completed payment you are unlikely to get mistakes put right or work finished.

Money management isn't a strong point for most Thai builders so a red flag is your builder asking for stage payments early. If he is then it probably means that he is short of money to complete other work, (for his wife, his mae noi or anything else) not that he needs it for your build. Many members have had the builder disappear before completion, the lucky ones owed the builder money the unhappy ones had paid in advance.

Also you will almost certainly have to pay twice for any mistake, once for them to make it then again for it to be corrected.

YYMV
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Ians » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06 pm

I would be talking to as many builders as you can, unless they come with good recommendations and even then I would want to inspect carefully what they have built. It is also important to set the ground rules up front regarding payments, progress, standard of finish etc.
You need to pay careful attention to water , sewage and electrics, these can make or break a good job.
Ians

Postby Leo123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Hello Ian,

Thank for your advice mate. I would like to speak to you if at all possible

Cheers,
Al
Leo123

Return to Introduce Yourself