Good morning / afternoon / evening

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Good morning / afternoon / evening

Postby nisakiman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Hello all, my username is nisakiman.

I'm English, I've been living in Greece for the past twelve years, and my (Thai) wife and I are thinking about a permanent move to Thailand in the next couple of years so I can sort of semi-retire (I hit 65 this year). We are currently looking for a suitable piece of land near Ubon, where her folks live, and my idea is then to build a Thai style timber home on it. (And maybe a couple of bungalows to hopefully supplement the income stream!)

I'm a professional carpenter, so will be doing a fair bit of the work myself (not so much first-fix heavy stuff, but probably most of the interior work). Also, having been in the building trade, I have a working knowledge of many aspects of the other trades involved in house building, so will 'project manage' the build myself. However, not having spent much time continuously in Thailand, I know nothing about available materials, best places to buy them, local building practices etc etc. So much I need to learn! I remember what a steep learning curve it was when I first moved to Greece.

Finding this site was a real bonus, and I anticipate in coming months being a very regular visitor. I've spent the last couple of hours browsing the subjects here, and it's a real goldmine of information, so many thanks to all those who have put all this info up over the years. I hope in the future I will be able to make my own contribution to add to the sum of knowledge here.
nisakiman

Re: Good morning / afternoon / evening

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:54 am

Hi Nisakiman
Welcome to the Forum
Where in Greece were you? I live in the US, but I have family in Greece and have spend an appreciable amount of time there. While in Athens, I spend time in Neon Faliron, but most of the time I like to go to Agion in the Peloponnesus where we have a summer home.
Being a Carpenter my self, I appreciate a wood home, and with the hardwoods available here, I have seen some gorgeous homes. Unfortunately wood homes require a lot of maintenance, something that I am not prepared to do to laziness , but also during my retirement years, when health might not permit me.
Also one thing to keep in mind is that some of us are married to much younger wives who will outlive us, so with that in mind it helps to design a home that the wife would be able to handle after we are gone.

Look forward to seeing your progress,
Cheers.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby nisakiman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:53 pm

I live on Kerkyra (Corfu) island, which is not only a beautiful place but which has also had the good fortune to escape the worst of the economic hurricane that has swept Greece these past few years.

I lived in the Peleponnesus myself for a couple of years in the '90s, down in Gytheio. In fact I have a stremma of land down there, in a village called Vathi, about half a Km from the beach. It's a lovely part of Greece, but for practical reasons I need to be somewhere where I can find work, and it was always a bit of a struggle down there.

Re what I have in mind for the build in Thailand, my plan is to create the exterior appearance of a traditional (but simple - I have no intention of being pedantic about it, I will do what is practical and economical) Thai house, with elevated living / sleeping area and the lower floor predominantly open and (hopefully) relatively cool. I don't like air-con at all - it dries up my sinuses and makes me feel lousy. Overhead fans suit me much better. The interior of the house I would make much more western style, using gyprock plasterboard for lining the walls, and a very open-plan design.
nisakiman

Postby Thaipete » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:13 pm

....and a big welcome from another noob, in much the same situation as yourself (though I'm already here!). There's a whole lot of useful information in this forum - but naturally it takes quite a while to get through it - an enjoyable experience, too!

This is a building forum, so I don't want to get into any long-winded talks about visas, work permits and stuff. You write that you "need to be somewhere where I can find work". Please check that you can, in fact, work in Thailand - the rules are very strict and the penalties can be stiff, too. In all and any case, you'd need a work permit to work - and that sure ain't easy to get... :cry:

Remember to, that bugs love to chomp away on your house, almost as soon as you've erected it. Termites (and others) can be - and are - a real pain! :shock:

Anyway, good luck with your project and I hope it all goes very smoothly. :wink:

Cheers :D
Thaipete

Postby nisakiman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:07 am

Hi Thaipete, yes, well met!

My reference to needing to be where the work was referred to my situation here in Greece. When I move to Thailand, I won't be looking to work as such, I'm retiring! Anyway, as far as I know, I wouldn't be allowed to work as a carpenter in Thailand anyway - that's a trade reserved for Thais, and Thais only. I intend to ship all my tools, but only to enable me to work on my own property. However, as I mentioned in my first post, we may build one or two bungalows with a view to making a bit extra for holiday rentals. I have a wide network on the interwebby, and know what demographic I will be aiming at, so it could well provide a bit of icing on the cake!

Yes, I know about the termites, and will be designing with that in mind. As I already mentioned, I only want my place to look like a trad Thai house - I'm not going to be a purist about this. If I deem that under the outer skin it needs to be steel, concrete and blockwork, then steel, concrete and blockwork it will be.

Anyway, good luck to you too in all you do. Doubtless our paths will cross on this board in the future, as we struggle with our various building problems! :D
nisakiman

Postby fredlk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:53 am

nisakiman wrote: .... as we struggle with our various building problems! :D

I prefer to call them challenges and these of course are many. :D
fredlk

Postby Thaipete » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Good on ya, nisakiman!!

Retiring is the best way to go - though it's nice to keep (very) active, so good luck with your build. It ought to keep you busy for loooong time! :mrgreen:

Yep, there sure is a lot of useful info to be had here, and we're almost sure to cross each other's path along the way.

Cheers :D
Thaipete

Return to Introduce Yourself