Hi, Thaipete here

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hi, Thaipete here

Postby Thaipete » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm Thaipete and from Europe. Been here in Thailand for many a year and have lived in

1 - a bought house
2 - rented rooms
3 - a (very) small house on our own land, built by a local guy

I'm now planning to build a largish house on our land, where our (no. 3) house already is. As we have around 4-6 months before actually deciding what to do, I'm looking forward to giving/getting some useful tips and experiences about building a new house.

Cheers, guys - and looking forward to getting to know some of you! :D
Thaipete

Re: Hi, Thaipete here

Postby sirineou » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 am

Hi Pete
Welcome to the forum :)
What you mean by Largish house?
Been there, done that, build the big house, I guess every one of us has to do that, get it out of our system :) . Every one that has build the big house, including me, always say they wish they had build a smaller house. My next build, as soon as I can get some time off from work, will be three bedrooms,two baths, large living room,big outside living space.I find that when in Thailand, we spend most of our time out in the veranda, cook most meals outside.
Look forward in following your build, offer some ideas, get some :)
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 am

Welcome Pete, You have plenty of info to look at on our Forum , starting with the land ,(Fill or not fill/flooding prone ) Hence foundation choice, single storey/double, shape of house, square or rectangle is the most economical but can be a bit hot with internal passages between the rooms and not having Air-Con. If you are relying on natural air flow the design of the rooms can make a difference with plenty of windows or doors to the outside. The roof can be a lot lighter construction using Colourbond ,where as tiles are much heaver, but both need ventilating even with insulation. That should give you enough to think about and to look up examples. Good luck.
Mike Judd

Postby Thaipete » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:02 pm

Yep, sure is a lot to look at - and I'm reading a lot of interesting (and helpful) stuff when I have the spare time (not too much of that, at the moment! :shock:

No flooding out this way at all, so landfill is not really required :D well, maybe just some around the coming entrance to the land, but that's about it.

Planning on a 3 bedroom place, probably end up with a 1 storey thing - but I'll be going through any 2 storey threads to see what the positive arguments are. I'd sure like a 2 storey house - but apart from the extra views, there ain't really much going for such a house.....or maybe there is!

Well said! We have to sort out the shape of the house, too, and the layout and sizes of the rooms. A lot of things to take into consideration, so there are a lot of areas to get reading on and to look at the good advice given.

Cheers :wink:
Thaipete

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:28 am

A two storey house will allow you large living sq/ft in a smaller footprint. This s advantageous if you have a
small building lot.
The home I have designed to build, has the Master bedroom , second bedroom , large living-room , bathroom and formal kitchen upstairs.
Downstairs is a large bedroom, bathroom, semi-outdoor kitchen , car park, and 4x12 m covered hanging-out area.All in a 8x12 m footprint.
This type of design allows me to entertain guests downstairs,while keeping a private space for me upstairs.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:36 am

sirineou wrote:This type of design allows me to entertain guests downstairs,while keeping a private space for me upstairs.

:lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Thaipete » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey! It looks like we've finally got the OK from the local Building Office to build, :D so maybe the MODS would be kind enough to move this thread to the "Your Building Story" sub-forum (or how does one do that sort of thing?).

To cut a very long story short - we almost bought a house (twice, in fact) along the way.

One house was ridiculously well-built and we couid have been very happy there, I'm sure. Unfortunately, the lady owner was selling "with furniture", but couldn't make up her mind what was - and what was not - included in the price. Things changed on an almost hourly basis, depending on which way the wind was blowing. Items that we'd marked on our list as being included, were suddenly not included - and vice versa. Confusing.... :mrgreen: Too, there were other weird issues with the lady that made us give up in the end.

The other house was a beaut, too - very well made. However, it was squeezed in between two other houses and we felt we couldn't breathe when out in the tiny garden. The inside of the house was great, but for us the outdoors is almost as important as indoors - so no deal.

While we were looking at houses, we also spent a lot of time on our building plans - with enormous help from another CTH member, Sirineou. We changed the Government House Nr. 8 plans to (finally!) suit our needs and we now have a builder who's prepared to do the job for us.

At the moment we're preparing the land for him. I have my work cut out, digging up the irrigation pipes and moving them out of the way (of the coming house).
Next - some guy will come and cut down what's left of the lamyai trees, mango trees - and a line of trees along the back border. A few days after that, more people will show up to remove all the tree roots, fill about 30 trucks worth of dirt on the land - and then level off the area. The Chang (builder) will pop by to oversee the amount of dirt being spread about - it might be too much for him to start building on. In that case, he'll order a stop to it - but only if necessary.

We apparently have a time frame of 10? days in which to get the land prepared, as this is up in the north - and the "lucky" day numbers run out on the 12th of July, so it's important to get the building ceremony (whatever that is) done in time.

Anyway, if this thread ever gets moved, I'll post a few details about what house we're actually building

Cheers for now :D
Thaipete

Postby dozer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:11 pm

The new thread is here:

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4629

I'll go ahead and lock this thread so we don't get any more posts here!
dozer
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself