Introduction Pat and Bastiaan

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Introduction Pat and Bastiaan

Postby zebrafilm » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi everyone, we are a couple, currently living in the Netherlands. Pat is Thai (with also a Dutch passport) and Bastiaan Dutch.
We live in a small village at the edge of Amsterdam in an more than 100 year old blacksmith, we converted it to a very nice place with big garden inside and outside the house.
garden.jpg

We just did the downpayment for a piece of land just outside Chiangmai and are planning to start designing and building in the next few years. When everything is finished we move over completely to Thailand. No real time frame set. Roughly 3-7 years.

We both are working in the moviebizz. Pat was a graphic designer but became a compositor/flame artist later on and has a steady job in postproduction here in the Netherlands. One of the main reasons to stay here for a while.
Bastiaan (writing this) has been a freelance cinematographer for more than 30 years, shooting commercials all over the world with a focus on China and Europe. Because I was involved in the internet from the very first beginning I also have a hosting company, do build websites and of course host them on our servers. Besides private jobs for people and companies, I work with a whole team of writers, designers, video makers etc to create what we call knowledge channels where people can share their experience and knowledge with others (commercially or free).
I came to Thailand about 35 years ago and have been there on and off a lot (usually escaped the European winters there). Pat came a lot to the Netherlands but completely settled in about 7 years ago.

Building experience:
Besides the blacksmith, which I bought as four walls and a leaking roof, I have converted and rebuild many buildings myself. I feel comfortable with almost all parts of building a house. As a six year old kid I already had to help my father doing the same :-)
6years.jpg
young builder

As a freelancer I can work everywhere so I plan to be more and more frequent in Thailand to supervise and do a lot of the building myself. We have family in BKK and CM and places to stay (and park our 40 year old Land Rover, nicknamed Giant)
Our current house is an ‘automated’ house. I have been involved with Domotica for years so if anyone has questions or need advice in that direction, you are welcome.
Beside driving our Land Rovers around the world, ( yes we post on the Thailand Rover forum too) I am using a BMW R1200 GS adventure motorbike for my daily transport.

I have been lurking around the forum for a while and will participate a lot in the next few years. Nice to see so many positive people helping each other and sharing experiences.
We have setup a little website about our place and will share it here after we have everything signed and sealed by the end of this month.

We have been inspired by the Thai architect Prabhakorn Vadanyakul (would love to meet the man) but are on a tight budget.
Roughly we already know what and how we want to build. here is the first picture of our moodboard, a holiday house of Khun Vadanyakul:

mood1.png
mood1

a few links:
showreel site: http://bastiaanhoutkooper.com
hosting: http://zebrahosting.nl
domotica: http://domoticaforum.eu
CM house blog: coming soon
zebrafilm

Re: Introduction Pat and Bastiaan

Postby fredlk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Welcome from one Dutchman to another. There are a few of us on here although I'm only a naturalised 'Ollander'. I lived there for 30 mostly happy years.
Sukses.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 am

fredlk wrote:Welcome from one Dutchman to another. There are a few of us on here although I'm only a naturalised 'Ollander'. I lived there for 30 mostly happy years.
Sukses.

Hallo Pat, Bastiaan, welkom, alweer een Nederlander. Nog even en er zijn meer Nederlanders dan Australiers en Engelsen op dit forum...
(Translation for the flame-bait sensitive people on this forum: Won't take long anymore and there will be more Dutch than English and Australians combined..hehee..)

Fred it shows that you're import..haha... Unless there's some 'new spelling' I missed, it should be 'succes', not 'sukses' (I do admit that I had to check it myself..just didn't look right at first glance.
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:47 am

schuimpge wrote:Unless there's some 'new spelling' I missed

You've been away too long. Since sms was invented the Dutch written language has rapidly gone downhill and I am just following the nieuwe norm.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 am

fredlk wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Unless there's some 'new spelling' I missed

You've been away too long. Since sms was invented the Dutch written language has rapidly gone downhill and I am just following the nieuwe norm.

You could be right on the mark...lol.. All that 'new spelling' is not my cup of tea.
I left Nov'98 at a time when only truck drivers and some business people had 'car-phones'. Mobile was hardly common.
Remember getting my Ericsson Mobile starting work in Singapore and was just amazed with everyone walking around with pagers and mobiles.
schuimpge

Postby zebrafilm » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Fred has been gone too long too, we write it now like "suc6".

Thanks for the responses guys.
zebrafilm

Postby zebrafilm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 pm

When the forum does not have load times 5-10 minutes per page, like now, I will start posting again but for now:

http://house.zebrahosting.nl/en/

We just finished all the paperwork.
Next up: raising the land and let it settle while we dream our plans up.
zebrafilm

Return to Introduce Yourself