Want to build forest house in Samui. Advice?

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Want to build forest house in Samui. Advice?

Postby Tammo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Hello, I am looking for builders team to build few Thai style simple but big wooden houses. One floor with roof and big open space without any rooms and walls inside. Maybe we will be happy to hire some workers from Birma with all documents ready.

I will appreciate so much if anyone knows good team or just idea where and how to find workers? I will buy all materials and will participate in working process as much as possible. Budget is not big so my friends gave ideas to hire workers with English speaking foreman from Birma.

I am looking for workers also outside of Samui from North Thailand cos here at Samui price are super high and not reasonable.

Thanks
Tammo

Re: Want to build forest house in Samui. Advice?

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:00 am

I don't like your chances of bringing workers from outside Samui to do the work of locals. It's hard enough to get good experience workers any where in Thailand , never mind getting them to travel over to Samui where the living is more expensive for them as well. Apart from them soon finding out the local wages and possible Agro there. Constant On site supervision would be a must as always ,especially with a maybe changing work force as well. Samui like Phuket is expensive , but but it's all relative to the cost of living on an island full of Farang's . Where you could save a lot of money in the long run , is with the materials. Shop around and buy on the mainland and ship them in yourself, but again you will need a reliable Thai when organising that as that is what is going on all the time , Truck loads of materials coming over on the ferry every day.
A good friend with a small resort near lamai beach, had 2 truck loads of furniture carted down from Chiang Mai and saved heaps.
At least with the local workers you have plenty of other Farangs to advise on suitability and experience.
Mike Judd

Postby Tammo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks for reply. I was trying to negotiate with a local companies and a some workers who have experience to build but often I have to deal with a middle person or Thai "manager" so they asking 10 times more than a real. Their requests for super simple wooden house far more expensive then even in Europe,and as I know most of Samui's companies just hire workers from Isan, they told me it))

I will appreciate so much for any ideas and contacts with adequate builders on Samui.

Thanks
Tammo

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:21 pm

You might have to spend a few nights at the bars in Lamai, there are dozens of Expats drinking there every night who surely could put you onto workers or a builder. At least you would get an idea of what a fair price is.
Mike Judd

Return to Introduce Yourself