House in Chanthaburi

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

House in Chanthaburi

Postby Chips » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:18 pm

I am a teacher in Chanthaburi, and me and my wife have started thinking about building a house here.
The plan is to build a larger four bedroom house and rent out some of the rooms to other teachers. This can then become a family home later on.
I have some money that I saved from working in Australia to buy the land, and I hope to borrow the money to build from a bank. Hopefully less than 1.5 mill.

My father in law will be managing the site and knows lots of tradesmen in the area so should be able to get good prices. He just finished building a house for his family and I can see that he has an eye for detail. Communication will be tricky, my wife's English is ok but not always spot on. Will have to rely on lots of drawings I think.

So far we have found one really nice plot of land just outside Chan, but are still in negotiations. All the Thais keep calling it mai suay because it's not square, but I don't really care as long as I can fit my house on it and have a bit of a garden. One thing I've found so far is that land around Chanthaburi is a lot more expensive than in most of Thailand, I haven't seen many below 1 mill yet.

I hope to share my story with you and any feedback is welcomed.

-Rahn
Chips

Re: House in Chanthaburi

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Hello and welcome.
Chips wrote:One thing I've found so far is that land around Chanthaburi is a lot more expensive than in most of Thailand, I haven't seen many below 1 mill yet.

1 million might be cheap and might be expensive. What size plots are you talking about? What price per talang wah?
In my neighbourhood nothing goes for under 1 million either but the prices being asked per talang wah are becoming quite ridiculous.
fredlk

Postby Chips » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Most of the plots are over 10,000 per talang wah for land outside the city.
There seems to be so much unused land around here. But I guess people save it to give to their children.
Chips

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Chips wrote:Most of the plots are over 10,000 per talang wah for land outside the city.

No Thai will pay that price. Around here there were people who put up signs asking the same, but they have since reduced it to 3,500 per talang wah. I think you have a lot of room for negotiation.
fredlk

Postby Shastadad » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:00 am

Chanthaburi is one of the richest provinces in Thailand. Their economy is based upon ocean fishing, farming, fish raising, rubber, fruit and vegetables. The city of Chanthaburi is the jewelry capital of Thailand and is the place to go for raw precious and semi precious stones. Have been told that it has the highest per capita income in all of Thailand

Their most recent governor was very popular since he did a great job of encouraging tourism to the province by promoting province wide festivals. The annual fruit fair in Chanthaburi is an example and is one of the largest in Thailand

Land is extremely expensive in the province since there is no real pressure to sell and there is a real market for second homes by the Thais from Bangkok.

I have a friend that has been looking for land in Chantaburi for several years now, and has yet to find anything that he can afford and prices have only gone up, so Thais will pay the prices asked
Shastadad

Postby Chips » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:53 am

This is pretty much what I thought too.
The farmers have made so much money from fruit that they have no need to sell. And there's certainly a lot of money going around.

I'm finding it takes so much time and effort to look for land here since there are no real estate agents or websites that advertise land. But it is nice riding around the little back streets of Chanthaburi.
Chips

Postby fredlk » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 am

At http://www.ddproperty.com/en/land/chanthaburi the prices look pretty reasonable to me.
fredlk

Postby Chips » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Hey thanks for the website.
Most of the cheap land is a long way from the city. But I've already found a few places on that site that I will go check out.
Thanks.
Chips

Postby pipoz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:24 pm

Chips wrote:Most of the plots are over 10,000 per talang wah for land outside the city.
There seems to be so much unused land around here. But I guess people save it to give to their children.

1 x Talang Wah = 4 square meters

TB 10,000 per Talang wah or per 4 sq meter = TB 2,500 per m2 seems very expensive, unless of course your plot is well inside the city limits/close to the center, and I do realize that Chanthaburi is down by the sea side and arguably a more beautiful environment, than where I leave in Udon Thani

As a comparison, go 4-5 kms outside of the Undon Thani Ring Road of Udon Thani, (South, SE or SW side) and you can still find 1 x Rai, for between TB 550,000 to 750,000 (maybe a bit more if it is special in some way).

That is an average TB 650,00 for 1600 m2, which equates to around TB 400 per m2 or TB 1625 per Talang wah, and Udon Thani is a fair size city in Thailand, by any imagination.

For TB 10,000 per Talang wah or TB 2500 (US 77) per m2, you could actually get a prime piece of real estate (for a business development) on the Udon Thani Main Ring road (which is only some 3-4 kms from the UT City Center)

Are you sure you don't mean TB 1,000 per Talang Wah?

Regards
pipoz

Postby Chips » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:04 pm

No, they are asking for 10,000 Bht per wah.
Land inside the city is more like 30,000 per wah.

Not that I'm actually thinking of paying that much.
Chips

Postby pipoz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Chips wrote:No, they are asking for 10,000 Bht per wah.
Land inside the city is more like 30,000 per wah.

Not that I'm actually thinking of paying that much.

I gather that you are Australian?

pipoz
pipoz

Return to Introduce Yourself