Kia Ora - Koh Phangan

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Kia Ora - Koh Phangan

Postby kiwimartin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:08 am

Greetings,
I am a wandering Kiwi on his first year in Thailand, after journeying through Fiji, Hong Kong and Ecuador over the last 19 years...and its time to settle down and build a place.
This forum is magic, and will certainly contribute to the construction of our house on Koh Phangan.
I am working in BKK but hope to get the footings and block work done over the next 6 months, prior to a construction push in June next year. We have bought 2 Rai with sea views in the north of the island.
Looking forward to participating in this community!
Cheers,
Martin
kiwimartin

Re: Kia Ora - Koh Phangan

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:53 am

Welcome!

Would think a build on Koh Phangan would be pricey what size is the house do you plan to build?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby kiwimartin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Bill, Good to hear from you.
Not so big, 125 sq. m for the house interior (25m x 5m ...1 floor bungalow. Pool out front and an attached shed at the back.
Exposed wooden beam ceiling inside, wooden bifold doors the length of the front. Everything else in concrete except for a steel roof. All communication between rooms is via the covered deck/pool area - no internal doors.
I have included a couple of my early Sketchups...teaching myself via Youtube tutorials right now...(instead of working!)
We've bought the land very recently so getting amped up now!
Cheers'
Martin
Attachments
beach house with pool.jpg
beach house aerial.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Interesting concept, designed my place using SketchUp great program. I’m sure some members will help with suggestions for your layout. What do you plan for closing in the walkway and do you have an ocean view?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby schuimpge » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:11 am

Like the design, except for the second bathroom, would move that in between the two guest rooms and internal access doors.
Can't imagine guests feeling comfortable middle of the night going over the deck and into the bathroom.
Or if people still sit outside, kids sleeping having to walk outside to get into it.

Curious to see the final design and build.
Regards,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby kiwimartin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi Luc,
I like forcing people to transition outside in the tropics...it'll be under a roof overhang. Kinda the philosophy...like a row of small shops or a train station. I have added a door from the nearest bedroom...but not sure about the compromise. Plus the pool swimmers and deck drinkers will be serviced from the same bathroom.
Bill, here's a few pics of the site - seaview and coconut land.
And a few updated sketchups with dimensions.
Cheers.
Attachments
template 4 color.jpg
template 4 plan.jpg
PICT0132.jpg
PICT0102.jpg
kiwimartin

Postby schuimpge » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:38 pm

kiwimartin wrote:Hi Luc,
I like forcing people to transition outside in the tropics...it'll be under a roof overhang. Kinda the philosophy...like a row of small shops or a train station. I have added a door from the nearest bedroom...but not sure about the compromise. Plus the pool swimmers and deck drinkers will be serviced from the same bathroom.
Cheers.

Martin, you're not fair...the Master Bed is nicely separated.. :lol:
If you'd make the bathroom a bit deeper, you'd be able to put in 3 doors...Though not sure if you like "3 doors down"... :wink:
schuimpge

Return to Introduce Yourself