A Move to Mae On

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: A Move to Mae On

Postby andymac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:00 pm

It's been a while since I've had a chance to post, work in Hong Kong can be very demanding.

Well a quick update - when we bought the land it was with a Nor Sor Sam Gor title deed and I admit I was a little nervous but was reassured no problem by my partner. Now I'm pleased to say we've just successfully upgraded to full chanote and we now have the little concrete posts in the ground.

So now I'm keen to put up a perimeter fence and gate, I'm thinking of concrete posts with either barbed wire or a chainlink fence arrangement. Then have the whole thing grown over with Bougainvillea. Any opinions on the pros and cons of either?
andymac

Postby olavhome » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Do buffalo or cow eat :twisted: :twisted: ??
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:28 am

I suppose it depends on whether both sides are always going to be the same level. If so the 2mt high chain wire fence would be a lot harder to climb than the usual Thai block wall. I would use round steel posts 50 m.m. dia min, in a bit of concrete. I don't know what the difference is in price against concrete posts ,but the steel galvanised will last forever, where as most of the concrete ones are easily broken with their piano wire reinforcing . You need bracing min at each end and in the middle on long lengths ,plus the important part is the 3 tension wires , top,bottom and middle of the chain mesh that keep the whole lot tight and upright. What you grow over it would be your choice , bougainvilleas with all their thorns would stop most intruders I would imagine.
Mike Judd

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:16 am

[quote="Mike Judd"] I don't know what the difference is in price against concrete posts ,but the steel galvanised will last forever, where as most of the concrete ones are easily broken with their piano wire reinforcing . /quote]

A problem with galvanised steel is that it isn't widely avalible here, and as for the preformed concrete posts you can order them with good rebar from any local maker they are more expensive and you have to wait for them to be made but they are easy to get. We got them for Grandmums house and our 2nd fence.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Shastadad » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:35 am

You can find builders that will install "chain link " fence here in Thailand but good luck finding anyone that knows how or has the tools to stretch it. Whenever you see it here in Thailand it is usually welded to the poles, not stretched
Shastadad

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:43 pm

I wonder why they don't sell star pickets here?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Well there you are then, "Up to you" I have never seen a Chain mesh fence erected in Thailand and there is a special tool required for the tightening, although I'am sure if the right labour is available they would come up with a method that would do the necessary tightening. It's just requires you to let them know how you want the finished result. With the concrete posts , having them made at what ever cost with decent steel Reo would ensure at least 20 yrs life. I say that keeping in mind that after years of study it has been established that all normal concrete that is unprotected and out in the weather, allows moisture to penetrate where it creates a reaction at the rate of 1m.m. min per year (Say 20m.m. cover) 20yrs where it then reaches the steel and will go around it in 1 yr where it then starts to expand blowing the concrete apart. What is know in the trade as Concrete Cancer. Most of the posts that we carefully tried to retrieve when our land was built up 1 mt ended up breaking with what steel there was all rusted, and they were not 10 yrs old. Sorry for straying from the fence subject but as a point of interest to emphasize the seriousness of it. My experience with Concrete Cancer goes back 30 yrs when I made a very good living putting up Swing Stages on dozens of High Rises in Sydney where huge chunks of concrete were falling down into the streets. That was when the trend was precast concrete panel facade on all the Sky Scrapers, before they switched to Glass and Aluminium as a result. Any sort of protective coating will do the trick, even just acrylic paint. Any one who happens to visit Sydney in the next couple of years would see the M.L.C. centre, over 800ft high ,where they are spending Millions trying to fix all the Facade because of all the concrete falling away. I personally think they are wasting their money because it's an ongoing problem because as fast as they patch the drummy parts , new parts come loose later. I put Swing Stages up there 6 or more years ago , just so Hot Shot consultants could be taken up by my men to go over sections ,tapping the facade for loose concrete. All the way from Singapore at $400 each per hour, if it was a bit windy they gave it a miss for the rest of the day. What they should do is "bite the bullet" and do what they have done to the exact same building in Melbourne the had the same problem, clad the whole building in Aluminium panels which keep out the moisture and keeps in place any further loose concrete. Havagoodun .!
Mike Judd

Postby schuimpge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Tool you can make yourself easily.
Steel bar with hooks that go into each of the chainlink fence openings, from top to bottom.
Weld a few rings on the other side, get a pulley that you tie to a post and you just span it.
You nicely stretch the fence up that way.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Shastadad » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

schuimpge wrote:Tool you can make yourself easily.
Steel bar with hooks that go into each of the chainlink fence openings, from top to bottom.
Weld a few rings on the other side, get a pulley that you tie to a post and you just span it.
Cheers,
Luc

Yes you can make any tool you want and have to ability to. But try and get a Thai worker to use something that they are not used to. Similar to pushing a noodle, yes you can do it, but is it worth it
Shastadad

Postby schuimpge » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:38 am

Shastadad wrote:
schuimpge wrote:Tool you can make yourself easily.
Cheers,
Luc

Yes you can make any tool you want and have to ability to. But try and get a Thai worker to use something that they are not used to. Similar to pushing a noodle, yes you can do it, but is it worth it

Finding a good crew that actually is open to learning is very hard..agreed...
I am lucky to have an understanding construction guy, though still need to be on top or he falls back in habits...
schuimpge

Postby andymac » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Thank you all for the constructive comments and sound advice.

We've been in Chiang Mai for the last couple of days trying to move the fence project forward and it's become obvious that a chain link fence is a great deal more challenging than a regular barbed wire set up. We spoke with two guys, both had different ideas to what we wanted and one of them quoted THB100,000! That's for a 30 metre long 1.8 metre high fence, no gate.

So at the end of the day we've settled on a barbed wire fence of the same dims as above with chicken wire on the lower half. I think that should last until the plants take hold and do their own thing.
andymac

Postby andymac » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Another trip to Thailand is coming up and we're eager to start work on the land. We've had some dirt delivered to fill some of the low lying areas and we're looking to dig out a largish pond to create more dirt to raise other areas on the property.

So I'm wondering if any of you guys have a contact around Chiang Mai area who can dig a big hole and some grading work. At this stage we're only looking at half the property, about two rai, also any idea on the going day rate for a macro?

All feedback and suggestions most welcome.
andymac

Postby thailazer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:05 am

Andymac... Master plan looks good, and was wondering if you have considered a pond. edit... Just read your last post... We have a pond about 20 meters long next to the house and it has worked very well in growing Tilapia and attracting all kinds of wildlife. We currently have an Asian Water Hen nesting 20 feet from our dining area. Great idea to put in a pond. Make sure that you don't berm it as the Thai operators like to do. A flat approach works out better.

Also... Our cost four years ago was 35,000 baht for six days of backhoe work. That was three to dig out the pond, and then three to move it to the correct places after the mud dried for six weeks.
thailazer

Postby andymac » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:52 am

thailazer wrote:.... We have a pond about 20 meters long next to the house and it has worked very well in growing Tilapia and attracting all kinds of wildlife. We currently have an Asian Water Hen nesting 20 feet from our dining area.

Thailazer
Sounds great and just what I'm hoping to achieve, I'm interested in the different varieties of wildlife taking up home. I don't think I have enough brain cells left to manage a koi pond, from what I've read on here that takes some skill.

I've just returned to HK after a week digging out the big hole for the future pond! I'll try and make time to post some photos later today.

Are you in the Chiang Mai area? I'd be interested to see your pond, otherwise some photos would be appreciated. I need to build some expertise before my next trip, the turn the hole into a pond trip.

Andy
andymac

Postby thailazer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:15 am

Andy... We are 40 minutes north of CM in Mae Taeng and you are more than welcome to come out and check it out. Still a work in progress here!
We planted a 100 Tilapia fingerlings when we put in the pond and some are now 24 inches long. Only about a dozen of the original plant left as we ate a bunch and the neighbors helped themselves to a few before we started the build. We also got a pail full of reproductive fish from a friend's pond and now have a variety of fish reproducing. That is good as the Chinese Pond Herons and Snakehead fish have pretty good appetites, but so far, the fish population is staying high. The original 100 Tilapia were sex reverse fish so they just get big with no reproductive pressures.

Here are some photos of how the pond looks. We clean out the thick weeds a few times a year, and that is what the Asian Water Hen is nesting in at the moment. My wife also grows Morning Glory vegetables in the water as well.

thailazer

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself