A Move to Mae On

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: A Move to Mae On

Postby andymac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Robert - thanks for the welcome, I’m looking forward to settling in the area, but unfortunately it will be some time yet, I need to keep earning in HK for a while longer. I will be back in the Thailand for a few days start of September, so be really great to catch up and see your fine estate.
andymac

Postby andymac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:02 pm

weescotsguy66 wrote:On the landscaping side do you have to infill any land before getting your project going this can add alot of time onto a project due to having to wait for the land to settle with the rains etc.

WeeScotsGuy – good question, but I'm not sure yet. I hope I will only have to raise some, just the areas where I’ll be building. I’ve no intention of raising and flattening everything so it looks like a car park.

I do have a related (first) question that I hope someone can advise…
I’m told the soil we have is pretty good for growing stuff, it's almost black. So if I raise areas of the plot, should I save the good soil for the landscaping and not just bury it under the new fill?
andymac

Postby andymac » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:12 pm

The first small tentative steps in landscaping, we bought these two more to satisfy the need to plant something on day one than anything else :D
Attachments
IMG_2367.jpg
This looked pretty big in the garden centre, kinda looks lost here
IMG_2366.jpg
I have high expectations of this grouping to help block the view of the neighbours roof - in a few years
andymac

Postby robertkc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

andymac wrote: I will be back in the Thailand for a few days start of September, so be really great to catch up and see your fine estate.

Ok,I`ll pm you my phone #. For the land raising its always good to see how the drainage is just after a big deluge before making plans... September should be ok for that. I think you`re a bit higher up than us & well away from flooding issues. Yes, of course save the topsoil before filling, and if you have plans for a pond, there`s potentially enough free fill for the house site.
robertkc

Postby andymac » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 am

Regarding raising the land....

We have a stream bordering two sides of our property seperated by a sort of berm. The water level is currently about 2 metres below the top of the berm, while on our property side it looks as though we're about .5 metres below in places. I'm assuming we'll raise the built areas to at least .5 metres above the berm.
The picture may help to explain.
Attachments
Stream boundary.JPG
Stream is to the right behind berm and approx 2 metres below the top. Our land to the left
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Here's a quick update with some photos of the land boundary and key plan. The land is bordered on one side by a concrete road. I will be looking to adding a barbed wire fence bougainvillea and access gate along this side in the next month or so. Another side is bordered by a neighbours property (with fence). The other two sides are bordered by a stream/klong. I'll be making a trip start of September, see how the land drains after all the heavy rains.

And yes we are located a stone’s throw from Robert's place, but I'm sure it won’t come to that :)
Key.JPG
Key plan for view positions. Red line is the perimeter, blue line is stream/klong
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 pm

View 1 from the road - sans corn
Attachments
View 1.JPG
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:08 pm

View 1 from the road - with corn
Attachments
View 1a.JPG
Last edited by andymac on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:10 pm

View 2 from far corner looking south(ish). Klong/stream on the right.
Attachments
View 2.JPG
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:11 pm

View 3 from middle of plot looking north. Klong/stream on the left
Attachments
View 3.JPG
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:14 pm

View 4 Same position as view 1, but looking east along the road. I need to build a barbed wire fence along here sharpish...
Attachments
View 4.JPG
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

View 5 from road looking north/west towards what will be the access to the property. Our property is on the left side.
Attachments
View 5.JPG
andymac

Boundary Photos

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 pm

View 5 a better view of the property, looking north/west
Attachments
View 5a.JPG
andymac

The Master Plan

Postby andymac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Here's the first draft at a Master Plan, I'm sure there'll be many more to come.
The current idea is to split into three phases.

Phase 1 – Two structures, A – double garage and weekend gaff, later a store/workshop. B – A mini home, later a guest villa.
Phase 2 – An open sided structure, kind of a fancy sala above a pond, that will be used as a covered reception area.
Phase 3 – Main house, contemporary design of single storey taking full advantage of the mountain views to the south and east.

The landscape design still needs a lot of work, just the basis here. But the idea is the landscape design will provide private secluded areas around each building. It also needs to accommodate the three phases and will commence early so the gardens, trees etc will reach maturity as the building phases progress.

I’m sure this will take many twists and turns before any ground is broken.
201308 Masterplan draft.jpg
andymac

Postby pipoz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Andymac,

Masterplanning, the right way to go

I am on my third and hopefully final revision, once I secure the last 2 Rai and have a final plot shape.

Good luck with your final layout and main house design

Pipoz
pipoz

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself