Planemad at Chai Nat

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Planemad at Chai Nat

Postby planemad » Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 am

Hi all,
I have been lurking here for quite some time, gleaning information, advice and tips in order to build the perfect house without any slip-ups! :D Well, the house is pretty good and not too many slip-ups, I will share my story when the house is finally finished, which should be in a couple of weeks.

For me, I am a Brit with 25 years service with the air force before leaving in 1994 to becoming a publican where I completely renovated a 16th century pub near Grantham. The life as a publican is great, but the hours are long and you can never turn your back on the place.......someone will be trying to rip you off in a moment! So, in 2001 I returned to the aircraft engineering world at Cranwell where I met a guy who introduced me to a recruiter for a company who were employing aircraft people to work in Oman........Are you still awake? To cut a long story, my marriage fell apart, I took the job in Oman and looked for somewhere else apart from the UK to spend my R&R. Many of my colleagues had interests, wives or whatever in either Thailand or the Philippines, initially, it was a toss up, but eventually Thailand won, and here I am.

Now, 12 years later, married for the last 3 to a Thai lady who I have known for quite some time before that, we decided to take the plunge and build a house. I already have my own condo in BKK, but looking to retire (hopefully at the end of next year), somewhere where I can indulge my passion for tropical birds (feathered!), Koi fish and keep a dog, also explore the chance to become a bit of a gardener and grow Orchids, all of which requires quite a lot of land.

We looked at Pattaya (Very Briefly) and moved our attention to CM, better choices, but still quite small houses. The wife's family has land not far from Wat Sing of which about 1.3 Rai was intended for her use, after that, it became an easy choice to both save money on the project and have built-in project managers to oversee the build whilst we are back in Oman.

So, there you have it, on paper it was going to be easy, in reality it was not too difficult with some (good) surprises along the way. Give me a few weeks and I shall start my story for all to point out my mistakes and maybe learn a bit as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to your comments.

KS
planemad

Re: Planemad at Chai Nat

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 10, 2013 11:10 am

Welcome to a fellow Brit! I for one look forward to seeing your build. I bet you miss your old Country Pub at times, some parts of life in Britain are sorely missed, but the rest is not.!
Mike Judd

Postby planemad » Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Yes Mike, I miss the pub life, but not so much the hours. Cant think of much else I miss about the UK, but I have no axe to grind, just happy with my lot!
planemad

Postby Mike Judd » Fri May 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Yes that's the most important thing in life I have found, Be Happy, ! as long as it's not too much at the expense of others around you.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:18 pm

planemad wrote:Yes Mike, I miss the pub life, but not so much the hours. Cant think of much else I miss about the UK, but I have no axe to grind, just happy with my lot!

Welcome to the forum KS

Don't know how you coped with pub life ... one of those things that appears so attractive when you can walk out at closing time ... the time when much of the real work begins for the landlord!

I too am very happy to have left the UK as it sure has changed ... not for the better ... from when I was a kid. Mike 'escaped' a lot earlier than me! Very settled now in LOS.

Hope your plans work out well for you.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby planemad » Sun May 12, 2013 11:27 am

Thank you all for you kind replies. I am back in Oman now, so plenty of time to post my build story, just a little sad that I had to leave Thailand a couple of weeks before final completion, but nothing I can do about that.

Hahahaha, this could easily turn into pub thread if not careful, that is behind me now. I have been involved with the pub trade since I was old enough to work in one so I knew what I was letting myself in for. It was great fun, I loved my time behind the bar but as I said, you are shackled to it and now I don't miss it. So, back to house building.............give me a couple of days to get started then I can bore you all with the details :)

KS
planemad

Postby Tommy » Sun May 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Looking forward to your build story!
Tommy

Return to Introduce Yourself