Lasse M maybe house builder in Thailand

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Lasse M maybe house builder in Thailand

Postby lasse m » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 pm

I´m a Swedish man with a Thai wife.
My wife is from Isaan and we are thinking of building a house in her village, outside Udon Thani
For some years I have been searching on internet for information about building a house in Thailand.
I have experience of building houses in Sweden, but building a house in Thailand are very different I understand.
From what I have been reading on the internet I understand that it will not be easy.
This is what I have learn so far>

1/ I have to be on site every day.
2/ I have to buy all material myself.
3/ I have to check every moment in the building process myself.
4/ Involving my wife's family in the building process means trouble. Maybe be difficult but keep it to a minimum.

I guess many readers will agree and some will disagree to this.
Am I a fool if I go on in proceeding my plan.

Well, as somebody told me The last fool is not born yet.

Regards
Lasse M
lasse m

Re: Lasse M maybe house builder in Thailand

Postby pipoz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Welcome

There are some good builders in the Udon Thani area, you just have to find them by word of mouth or from someone else on the Forum who has used one.

pipoz4444
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Lasse M,
You summed the whole building experience up pretty well, not for just the north, but all over Thailand. Welcome to the challenge.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 am

Your first 3 points are worth following for a successful build and with lots of members the 4th one also. But I must have been lucky as I used my partner's brother and brother in-law for all of my build and could not have been happier with the results.
Obviously it all depends on how experienced they are in the first place and not just seeing the $ signs that a Farang brings to the village. What ever workers you use ,there is nothing like seeing examples of their work or on a good recommendation from some one you can trust. If you have been involved in building in your own country you will know it's a step by step operation with plenty of planning ahead, no different in Thailand, just a bit frustrating with the language at times
Mike Judd

Postby andy bryant » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:56 pm

hello lasse
just keep on top of things and be ready to receive a few setbacks along the way and it will be ok
andy bryant

Postby jazzman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:05 am

lasse m wrote:1/ I have to be on site every day.
2/ I have to buy all material myself.
3/ I have to check every moment in the building process myself.
4/ Involving my wife's family in the building process means trouble. Maybe be difficult but keep it to a minimum.

1 - not absolutely necessary
2 - Can make significant savings and allows you 100% choice in materials used, and ensures compliance with engineering specifications. Downside is that bona fide construction contractors may not be ready to accept a labour-only contract because it will deny them of their mark-up on the materials.
3 - is pretty much the same as #1, but you will need some knowledge of construction processes, especially electrical work. Every project should have a set of blueprints, but blueprints are not a 'how to'.
4 - not always. It depends on their experience, but there are plenty of non skilled jobs they can probably do quite well.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to Introduce Yourself