I'll be there soon! I hope...

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

I'll be there soon! I hope...

Postby miskowr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:57 am

Hi All,

I've looked at CTH hundreds of times over the last 6 or 7 years and really appreciate all of the tips and guidance all of the contributors have obviously spent a massive amount of time putting together.

My story, half fact, half expectation:

Project #1 - The Holiday Home: my wife and I took careful note of all of the advice provided by CTH contributors and then decided to test our Karma and just handed over bundles of baht to a builder from Udon Thani who built a fantastic 108sqm house near Seka for just shy of 1m baht. The builder obviously took a bath on the estimate, so in the spirit of goodwill we had a great end-of-build party with the builder and workers and gave them a decent bonus. Findings: anything to do with concrete, cement and sand, electrical, plumbing, roofing, the guys were fantastic; on the joinery side, they were the pits - the windows and doors they fitted I wouldn't have on a hen coop; I didn't realise that wood could warp that much. Never mind though, lessons learned and 22k baht of aluminium doors later, everyone's happy.

The next one is for serious though:

Project #2: call it decent planning, blind luck or whatever, but we bought quite a few affordable rai on the side of the Kwai Noi from an asset management company a few years ago near the Legacy River Kwai Hotel, if anyone knows where that is. The land is about 20km outside of Kanchanaburi and is fantastic, both from the scenic point of view and the fact that it's approximately 600kms away from the in-laws in Issan (I've also taken the precaution of not learning any Thai/Lao yet so that I can't fall out with them). With the move over to Thailand planned for March 2014, I'm deep into the research phase of the project and we have ideas of what in terms of the house we want but nothing definitive yet. I've read Apetely's topic on building his house in the Kanchanaburi area many times and I hope to emulate his successful build. I can pretty much design what I want (and what I'm told to want by my Thai other half) but the one thing I need to get hold of is someone who knows how to turn designs into Thai build-method construction drawings. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

So with about a year to go before getting off the Brit career hamster wheel and having to stand at the end of freezing railway station platforms for the daily commute to London, I'm so looking forward to moving away from this sceptic isle for good. I'm under no illusion that LOS is perfect but I know from my many trips there, that it's way better than here... and warmer, people smile a lot, the food's good and it doesn't cost 2k gbp for council tax etc

Now that I've 'fessed up to being a CTH stalker, I look forward to conversing with some of you.

Cheers!

Richard
miskowr

Re: I'll be there soon! I hope...

Postby thailazer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:16 am

Richard,
Welcome to CTH, and nice to see an effective stalker! Good job on the first effort there.

Regarding plan conversion, my wife and I brought my English computer plan to a Thai draftsmen at our local Arbotor. You should go visit the Tessabann or Arbotor's office in the area where you will build and have your wife ask them if they have that service. They likely will. We paid 7000 baht for the plan and the included engineering analysis. Seemed reasonable, and the draftsmen drove 35 kilometers to visit us and work on the plan. You can find architects in Thailand that can do it as well, but expect to pay a lot more.
thailazer

Re: I'll be there soon! I hope...

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 am

miskowr wrote:
I'm so looking forward to moving away from this sceptic isle for good. I'm under no illusion that LOS is perfect but I know from my many trips there, that it's way better than here... and warmer, people smile a lot, the food's good and it doesn't cost 2k gbp for council tax etc

Welcome to CTH Richard. I made that same move five years ago and haven't regretted it a day since ... just about the opposite. Sounds like you had a lucky start on the building front ... so be prepared that it may not last as you may have used up your TIT luck quota already. :)

If only the prices of everything [including labour] hadn't risen substantially and the value of the GBP hadn't fallen substantially .................... :( Thailand is still a great place to live ... you hear an increasing number of Farang threatening/suggesting/hoping to move elsewhere but very few actually do.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to Introduce Yourself