Building this year in Udon Thani

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Building this year in Udon Thani

Postby jomoblues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 am

Hello to all at Coolthaihouse.

I'm JoMo. I'm English, although I've been expatriate for 20 years. My Thai wife and I are moving to Udon in July of this year to build our retirement home. We have been married for 10 years; together for 15. Since 2006 we've lived in Singapore and before that California and the Middle East, but I'm now ready to call it a day.

We have over 4 rai of land on full chanote outside the ring road, near Nok Noi. The land is essentially a long rectangular shape, so we raised the soil level on the front 2 rai by 1 meter over 5 years ago and fenced the entire plot. It just needs to be cleared of scrub as we get nearer our start date, and we will be ready to proceed with the build. Jan and I designed our own 2 storey home which only took 3 years of 'debate' to finalize. However, we have now had it properly drawn up by an architect and approved by the appropriate authority. We are back in UTH next month to sign contracts with our builder, so we are now really looking forward to making a start.

I've been reading this forum for years, and I've read several books of peoples' experiences in building in Thailand, so I'm under no delusion of a trouble free build. I realise that--- as I have no background in construction and given the frustrations that seem to befall all who have already gone down this road before me--it will be a challenge.

If this post works I'll start a thread and post some pictures as I know how much you guys like visuals!!

JOMO.
jomoblues

Re: Building this year in Udon Thani

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 am

Good to have you with us JoMo ... look forward to seeing your plans and watching your build as it progresses.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Galee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum. Here's hoping for a stress free build.

Are you using one of the major local building companies or employing a small crew on labour only?.
Galee

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 am

JoMo,
Welcome to the challenge. May you be victorious.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:51 am

Welcome Jomo,

I am also in Udon Thani, just outside the Ring Road in Ban Chan (South Side). Not sure where Nok Noi is

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Postby jomoblues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Thank you for your words of welcome.

I'll get the exact location from my wife and let you know where we are; Nok Noi is the rather grand property of the local celebrity musician of the same name--we are about 4 kms past there.

As for the choice of builder: We have run the gamut of larger UTH companies over several years of enquiry and weren't able to get a good enough feeling about any of them. We have read of good and bad reports, although I'm not saying that they aren't competent at what they do but in our meetings with them we were left with some misgivings and concerns. We have a clear idea of the specifications and materials that we want to use and it seemed that some were only interested in building a house that they had total control over. For us, we are happy for the builder to purchase the materials for the exterior but we still want to specify what materials they should use, eg, U-pvc (Windsor) frames and 6 mil green tint glass for the windows, hardwood frames and doors throughout, superblock double thickness walls etc. As for the interior, we want to buy all of the materials ourselves and have the builder fit everything. I know that some will think we are being too optimistic in our intentions, but we have found two companies that are willing to work with us, one through our bank manager and one through recommendation. We have quotes from both, so when we come over in February we will conduct final negotiations and choose which one we will sign a contract with. Both are small companies.

As I said earlier, I will start a separate thread once I'm a bit more familiar with the website. I have photos of the land and drawings of the house which I'm happy to share. Our design won't suit many, I think, as we have gone for a straightforward, traditional 2 floor western style house. I love some of the houses that I have seen on here but I'm not very creative and I feel that my execution of a more ambitious project wouldn't work out properly, so I'm sticking with what I know.

JoMo.
jomoblues

Postby Galee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:49 pm

As long as your happy jomo. Your the ones living there. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant.
Galee

Postby jomoblues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm

Pipoz.

Thank you for your pm. I'm flying in on 23 Feb so I don't think we'll be able to meet up this time round but I'd be happy to get together with you in the future.

I had 10 wonderful years in the Middle East, although Qatar was a different place when I was there.

JoMo
jomoblues

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm

It seems after 3 years of debate and being together for fifteen things on the build should go well but as you know TIT so hopefully it will go as planned or as close to that as is possible here.

Welcome and good building. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby elgato » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Welcome JoMo. Let's see some pics.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby jomoblues » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:17 pm

Elgato.

I tentatively started a new thread 'my building story' (not very original, I know) although I realized afterwards that I didn't start it off too well, and I also failed to link it in some way with the information I posted on this 'introduce yourself' section. Right now it's just a couple of drawings of the house design; a couple of photos the land itself; and plans of the first and second floor on adobe if you want to download and critique them.

I'm back in Udon Thani at the end of Feb to sign a contract with the builder and we'll actually make a start on construction in late July/ early August when we actually relocate to Udon Thani-----so a bit of a soft start to the project for now. All that I plan to do before July is clear the land and do the 28 x 6 meter pilings.

I know I made a mess of posting the early stuff but I've subsequently learnt how to resize photos and attachments before posting them so they should be easier to view from now on. Apologies for my early mistakes, can only improve from here!

JoMo
jomoblues

Return to Introduce Yourself