About Me

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

About Me

Postby schuimpge » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:27 am

Hello all,
Stumbled upon this website last Friday and it feels like I've found everything I've ever been looking for.
Absolute great information, pictures, ideas..
So here I am, registered and introducing myself.
From the Netherlands originally, been in Asia for the last 14 years. Started in Singapore, a year in Scotland and back to Singapore again.
Took a 3 month break and went to US for a job and eventually settled in Thailand where I've been for the last 7 years.

Bought my first house 4 years ago and had it completely redone from the ground up. My contractor did the job as a 'pay back' for all the work he had over the past years in my factory and he did an awesome job. My non-existing Thai and his non-existing English made for perfect communication lol, but both of us worked together on a very nice result, to the extend that he's been copying my ideas into his own house...lol.

Being an active DIY person, I decided to buy the house next door and start doing it myself, learning all techniques and skills in due time.
My contractor is great in supporting the project, helping me with buying and delivering the materials I need. Giving short instructions and picking up the waste that comes out of it.He and his wife where shaking their heads first, but turned around completely after a couple of weeks of tearing out old stuff by myself, sorting and packing it up.

So here I am, scouting for ideas, solutions and tips and at the same time I'll hope to give some ideas and suggestions to other readers/members on this forum.

regards,
Luc
schuimpge

Re: About Me

Postby pattayapope » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Luc

Welcome to the Forum, I hope you can find all the answers you need to complete your renovation, we all like pictures so maybe you can start a building tread to see what is keeping you busy in your free time[*] :lol:
pattayapope

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Luc,
Welcome to the forum.
You raise a valid point about copying good practices and getting good results (?) by your Thai contractor. If he has learnt anything and is trusted then he will be in great demand.
The great part about this forum is the universal role each country and person plays in either keeping the forum current or updating old practices.
We love photos.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Indeed welcome aboard Luc and as you can see by the first two posts we do like pictures. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:45 am

BKKBILL wrote:Indeed welcome aboard Luc and as you can see by the first two posts we do like pictures. :mrgreen:

Thanks BKKBILL, PattayaPope, Roger, I've started off already and hope you're enjoying the thread.
Couple of other threads that will follow soon, but traveling and working the coming weeks, so might slow a bit compared to the last couple of weeks.

Love this website, learned tons of new things in the few weeks since I joined.
For me, construction will be, as much as I can, done by myself. After having seen my contractor doing it, I just want to do it myself.
But for the most, I just enjoy doing it. Makes for good fun also, having all those Thai neighbors looking at that "Ting Tong Farang do construction. Why he not have contractor? Silly Farang"...

Having a contractor as a good friend of us, who keeps an eye, gives instructions and fully supports my efforts is of course a big help. He does not fool around with material prices and tools and many other things.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:05 am

Luc ! It's refreshing to hear about a Farang who has nothing but praise for the Thai's he has working with him for a change. Human nature is much the same where ever you go in the world I think, It takes all sorts, you just have to find the right ones in life. Enjoy your building in T.L.of S.
Mike Judd

Postby schuimpge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:21 am

Mike Judd wrote:Luc ! It's refreshing to hear about a Farang who has nothing but praise for the Thai's he has working with him for a change. Human nature is much the same where ever you go in the world I think, It takes all sorts, you just have to find the right ones in life. Enjoy your building in T.L.of S.

Hello Mike,
Yep, you got to be lucky finding the right person indeed. I'm not too difficult with things and having to be paranoid at work all the time, I absolutely don't want to get like that at home. So having someone I can trust (outside my wife), is great indeed and I'm very careful to foster such friends.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby elgato » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Luc, as the old masters previously stated: photos!

Welcome aboard.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:19 am

Luk, It seems like you have got off on the right foot from the start with your Contractor friend and I can't think of a better connection to have in Thailand as far as building work is concerned. Your wife will soon "suss" out any "Rip off" merchants that you might not be aware of, as mine does all the time. That aside, it is so rewarding to be-able to help any Thai's that do the right thing along the way, at little expense on our part, but making their hard lot a little easier. But after 7 years living in Thailand you would already know that. Cheers Mike.
Mike Judd

Return to Introduce Yourself