Building near Chumphon

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Building near Chumphon

Postby steve_dench » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:09 pm

My wife and I have just bought some land near Chumphon to build on. We are going to take our time. I have worked in construction in Australia for over 30 years. We will be trying to build a structure that I am happy with and will need good supervision to make it happen. We live in the tropical north and are used to wet seasons and cyclones. I would like to make sure that my concrete, reinforcing, structure and roof sheeting are to a standard that I am used to. If anyone has any knowledge of builders and suppliers in the region I would welcome your advice.
steve_dench

Re: Building near Chumphon

Postby pipoz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:21 pm

steve_dench wrote:My wife and I have just bought some land near Chumphon to build on. We are going to take our time. I have worked in construction in Australia for over 30 years. We will be trying to build a structure that I am happy with and will need good supervision to make it happen. We live in the tropical north and are used to wet seasons and cyclones. I would like to make sure that my concrete, reinforcing, structure and roof sheeting are to a standard that I am used to. If anyone has any knowledge of builders and suppliers in the region I would welcome your advice.

When in Rome do what Rome does.

My suggestion is that you try and follow as much as you can, the Thai structural way of building. You can always massage & beef the structure design, whilst still following most of the Thai typical details, if that makes you feel comfortable. Anyway, that what I intend to do and it will work.

Trying to import western design techniques/details into places like Thailand makes it more expensive, will possibly scare away some builders and is in my view unnecessary.

PS. I too worked in the Oz Construction industry for 20 years, before I had the good sense to move overseas and work tax free.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

As recommended , stick to the Thai system, for the reasons stated. If you are an actual Builder and familiar with all aspects of House construction,
there is no reason why you couldn't build the western way with load bearing walls. But you would need load bearing bricks and still need to make provisions for tying your roof down. The Thai way is ideal in that respect, with the roof being tied to the columns which go down into the foundations. Most of the walls are just infill panels. T.I.T. Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:15 pm

steve_dench,

steve_dench wrote:If anyone has any knowledge of builders and suppliers in the region I would welcome your advice.

Unfortunately I can't help you there, but if you have a look at my build here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=1920 I also took into account the worst Aussie weather I could imagine. In the end I settled for a house designed for the Caribbean, which was about the only one that was storm destruction proof.
My walls are all load bearing double thickness and my Colorbond roof is locked down on steel beams that are tied into my columns.
The whole house was built to Australian standards, if not better, and was over engineered intentionally. If I had the chance to do it again I'd just build the ground floor 12 inches higher than it currently is, the rest of it would be the same.
You do not have to build it the Thai way!
Roger Ramjet

Return to Introduce Yourself