Introduction by Merry-Terry

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Introduction by Merry-Terry

Postby merry-terry » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:28 am

Any one like "Focus" ! got it on while i type away, majic.

Here goes. . I married a most beautiful Thai lady in England, unfortunatey she is in Thailand and i live on the Kent coast. Due to circumstances beyond my control my life has taken a big down.
My previous wife was a bubbly fantastic Italian. Still cannot believe it "cancer" 6 months, gone. Just writing this and it still hits me, even after 4 years. Even though i married again, 1 year ago, third time lucky, fingers crossed. As you would have read from Geordies letters house prices here are rather low now and i also stand to lose about 40 to 60 thou on the price of my property. As my Thai wife tels me i'm a poor boy, oh well. I don't actualy retire until 2016, but am wondering if i should sell up and move out there now or try and save as much as possible then move out there ?
The wife's mother has a nice big house just outside BuaYai we could plonk our house next door on the other side is one of her aunties and to the left of that one is another aunty and the brother is on the other side of the same village and he is the village headman, thanks to me! Oh and my little lady is 20 years younger than me, he,he plenty hanky-panky,he,he
Sorry, i know big kiddy, but i love it. Plenty time to be old.
I was on the phone to one of my buddies a short while ago,"has his own construction business" but has only got another 3 or 4 weeks worth at the moment. Some others not so lucky. Too many imports with no regard for the indigenous people !!! My mother don't like "foreigners, and thats being polite.
So i think that eventually i will build a place in the LOS, and that gentlemen is why i joined.

<Previous thread removed - mod>
merry-terry

Re: Introduction by Merry-Terry

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:38 pm

You have a way to go to catch me up, I'am 82yrs old and my Thai Beauty is 44. been together now 12 yrs and still going great. If you "don't use it, you lose it" as they say. I must admit to being a great deal more active than most, probably because I have always had a physical job (Scaffolding) and only gave that up full time 4 or 5 yrs ago.I love work and could never watch others without getting into it myself. That aside, being on the Kent coast, were you ever near Lydd or Dungeness.? I built all the scaffolds out into the sea for Wimpy to do the test drilling for the power station there. That was in 1956-7 probably a bit before your time.My ex had a lot of relatives in the area. Anyway you should do what ever you want to do , when ever, the main thing in life I have found , is ," be happy" ! what ever it takes. Nothing else really matters does it ?
Attachments
DSCN4651.JPG
Life couldn't get any better.!
Mike Judd

Postby merry-terry » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:02 pm

WOW Mike, outstading. Hope i'm as fit as you in 20 yrs time. I'm a site carpenter and just like you am fit and full of energy. My goodness what a beautiful lady wife you have there, fantastic, and still "rock 'n rolling" you octogenarian, power to you. I was at junior school whilst you were at the power station. Did you work on Richborough as well, thats long gone now.. I did a lot of work at Phizers but that has clossed down now, its got very bad for work now.
How long have you lived in Thailand and in what area ? I would like to hear all about it, good and the bad, if your up to it ! One thing i would appreciate knowing is how much does one need to live on per month ? Terry
merry-terry

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Yes she is lovely,! She is one of the things that make life worth living when you get to my age.I thank my lucky stars to get another great partner again. Instead of being delegated to a Rocking chair. Of course I had to go through that period with my 4 grown up kids, "She is only after you for your money"
So what, I say, ! all women are looking for security when they get passed their Teenage crushes , so I might as well have one that "Turns me on "! for my money. Plus she has looked after me like my mother never did, so I have no complaints .
The Dungeness job was the only place I worked in Kent,most of my time I worked in London except in the winter when work got hard to get ,so I had to go further afield all over the U.K. It was always a hard slog with not much progress to show for it, so I couldn't wait to get back over to Sydney in Oz where I have been for the last 52 yrs. (I spent 2 yrs there in 1952-54) At least if you worked hard there you ended up with something at the end, and I have more than enough now to last me out, although my kids ? might be a bit upset if I spend it all.
Thailand is just somewhere I have been visiting every year since meeting my Partner 11 yrs ago for a month at the time, with my build being, "A slow build between Khon Kaen and Kosumpisi" I am trying to simplify my life at the moment so as to spend more time over there, but Oz is a bit of a basket case ( although not as bad as the U.K. or the U.S.) so things are hard to sell.
As far as Living in Thailand, you would do well to just take the time and go through any of the posts that take your fancy,that will give you an idea of what to expect a bit. The cost of living is going to depend on what western standards you want to keep up. The average village Thai if he has a job, is lucky to earn B200-300 per day(A$ 6--A$ 9) It's the western food / Fuel for the Motor-bike or more likely Car (For you) that's expensive for those poor buggers. I have had Mates on Koh Sumui living on B3,000 per week, with half that going on the rent of accommodation. It's going to be entirely up to you, Thailand is a country of extremes , some riding around in B.M.W.'s etc; but with the majority on bikes. The only thing I would say, is don't try to compete with the Thai's to make a living, unless you have something special in mind. If you can manage to have some sort of income stream back in the U.K. that should be more than adequate to live on in Thailand. Hope this helps , but feel free any time, CTH is a big part of my spare time every day. Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby merry-terry » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:07 pm

I can understand how your children feel. If someone had been sniffing around my mother when my father passed away then i would have been very upset ! Silly i know, but thats the way i felt and to some extent still do. The old bat is 86 and looking after herself still. But you have been together a long time and the lady has earnt the right to be with you. The rest of us are just plain envious, hope i'm as fit at 80 ? Just remember you only live once," this is not a dress rehearsal".
A big steel plant in Wales has just closed down hundreds out of work "merry bloody christmas". One of the mannagers was on TV a bit shell-shocked and said this recession has been going on for 4 years with no sign of any let up !!! My finances are no longer rosy . The savings have gone and with prices as they are i can only expect to get between £100,000 to £150,000 but only if someone wants to buy !!! Or i could rent it out for £500 a month but with no cash to play with. Things are getting very bad now so many business' going under, we had a huge garage that had been trading before i was born, with no warning, all in one day, the stock was hauld away 28 employees out of work "merry bloody christmas" again.
I suppose i could sell up go to Thai; build a 2 bed bungalow return to England each summer time to work and top up my money ? Now theres a thought.
Terry
merry-terry

Return to Introduce Yourself