Building a little boutique resort in Thailand

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Building a little boutique resort in Thailand

Postby setaputra » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:32 am

"That said, the op is certainly advised to think before he leaps. He has learnt so little about Thailand and is being too trusting. At least on this site he is getting the truth about the reality."

He has read but not listened.

Using a western builder? The build will be Thai labour and supervised even if the western "ownership" is 49%

a good friend of one of our expat friends there so we feel like we can trust him.
We've all heard that before.

they also have a reputation to uphold which is important. Thais are not bothered about reputation. High gross margins so make a quick buck and move on.

The op had already decided to proceed with his dream. I know precisely what his posts will be in 2 years time. He'll see that building and doing business in Thailand is not what he thinks it is now
setaputra

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:23 am

setaputra,
I cannot believe that someone with so little experience in, and of Thailand would go this route, especially on a remote island. The mere fact that they are relying on expat friends to feed them more bad information is foreboding for the other "investors" who are not here. The fact that quamsukh has not read your building story, or even mine, shows a lack of research into even the basics.

quamsukh,
The first thing you should never do is trust friends of friends here.
quamsukh wrote: The company has won a number of awards so they also have a reputation to uphold which is important.

Please post the awards the company has won! Or are you looking at web pages? And who awarded the awards......in Thailand? You would be astounded at the number of "farang" owned Thai companies that have an appalling reputation to all but their expat "friends".
Don't forget it's you who have this dream and you will be using other peoples' money.
I have friends in Thailand. I stay at boutique resorts because I can afford to. I like some of the islands, but I don't trust the people on them for one moment because it's all about money. I have a daughter who is studying international hotel management (Swiss degree) at a Thai college and she is so frustrated with the interference of Thai non-teaching office staff she has stated she will not be working in Thailand once she graduates and she is Thai.
Your first job should have been to have a Thai friend who tells it like it is, but it appears you don't even have that.
So far your research has been restricted to computer access.
I appreciate the fact you're a go getter and have a dream which we aren't trying to dash, even though it appears we are. What we are urging is caution with a capital "C".
Roger Ramjet

Postby setaputra » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:35 am

Quamsook and all coolthaihouse members

well put. if your comments save people from jumping in too quickly, cth has done its job

i feel sorry for this op; he is just not listening. he has no idea what building here is like; and there are stories in coolthaihouse that could have alerted him to the reality.
setaputra

Postby Nawty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:21 pm

This trainwreck will be interesting to follow....

'raising investors'....

'western builders'.....

'find a thai to trust to put the land in their name'....

saved this one for last...... :lol:
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby MGV12 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:29 pm

Nawty wrote:This trainwreck will be interesting to follow....

'raising investors'....

'western builders'.....

'find a thai to trust to put the land in their name'....

saved this one for last...... :lol:

Good to see that 'Johnny English' is alive and well :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Nawty good to see you are alive and well. 8)
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby setaputra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:37 am

<personal comments removed - mod>
setaputra

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:01 am

BKKBILL

Postby pipoz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 am

Good response, BKKBILL

Regarding the original post, I seriously doubt whether Quamsukh is actually planning to do/built anything in Thailand. It’s more likely wishful thinking more than anything on his part.

His post in March makes it clear that he (himself) does not have the funds for the development and that to me is what he is looking for in his posts and also that neither he or his partner have any experience or back ground in managing a boutique resort. The chances of investors handing over reasonable sums of money to a person they don’t know, who has no specific experience in the field of investment/business (i.e. to fist manage the build and then manage the resort), on an island, are almost zilch.

I think a few of us might dream of owning/running a beachfront resort, but anyone with a good business head, would start developing his management skills on something less difficult, before leaping into a high end business investment. Just my 2 cents worth.

My advice to Quamsukh is that if you are really serious about having your own business, and then start with a small restaurant or pizza bar or coffee shop....., something that you can actually afford to fund by yourself, and be prepared to accept that it will not make a fortune. It may just show you how difficult it is to run a business, as it is not as easly as you might think, to keep a business afloat for a long time .

pipoz
pipoz

Postby setaputra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 pm

You don't know the op's circumstances, Pipoz, anymore than any one else does. The issue is that he could be wasting his money because he is not taking note of what several members are advising. Nothing suggests he can't get finance.

setaputra

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Think you covered this thread quite well pipoz the OP in his own words in four posts.

“I am 30
we're currently in the process of finalising our business plan before we set up investor meetings
we are both big dreamers and both of us are go-getters with bags of enthusiasm
Our friends backed out of the venture
In the last couple of week, we have been given a rough ball park figure on build cost using a western architect and builder”

Now I for one would really be interested to see this ballpark figure and like Nawty will follow this with interest.

<personal comment removed - mod>
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Oh forgot to mention my wife has a resort for sale in Chiang Mai province of. Think the price is ten million Baht
Attachments
IMGP5821.JPG
IMGP5834.JPG
IMGP5846.JPG
BKKBILL

Postby setaputra » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:50 pm

setaputra

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
setaputra wrote:What has this to do with the op's predicament? Private messaging or facebook would be better. Keep this thread for those who can stay on topic.

These sort of posts discourage other members from getting involved and create a clique atmosphere. And the word clique is one I have heard from other members.

Get a life.
clique |klēk; klik|
noun
a small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.

Like he will be getting an invite to our little group hey....

How to NOT play your cards.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby MGV12 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:25 pm

<personal comments between members are unhelpful to the OP and will not be tolerated - please stay on topic - mod>

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself