Hello everyone

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello everyone

Postby fluffykeith » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Well not a good start - just waffled for a page and lost it when I hit preview. :(

Here it goes again.

Found the site and can't stop reading the posts - very interesting. Has a nicer friendly feel than others. Other times I've googled for info on building,retireing,living out there and always end up with the impression that most people are just wanting to take advantage of the people rather than making a family home. Hopefully thats a www skewed view and this site helps re-address the balance.

Me and Wife (Thai) would like to retire in Thailand but at the moment are in the UK.
Married 10 years and son 6mths. I (and I do mean me) am doing up the house at then moment. Just done the wiring, heating, fireplace and part way through fitting new windows.
At the extended mid-life crisis stage, being fed up with work, UK regs (ie, have to pay for someone to say ok to me fitting in some windows). Body falling apart, there's got to be more to life feeling, etc etc. Hence I'm searching around to remind me of what I'm trying to get to before I expire!!

Plan (like many I guess) is to do up this house, then remortgage or down size and buy a second house either here or build there, rent it out. By then we may have a different opinion of where we want to end up !!

We have some land (in Udon area I think) pending transfer etc so can't count that just yet.

Anyway thats "hello", better post it before I lose it again!
fluffykeith

Re: Hello everyone

Postby pipoz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Welcome fluffykeith

I am in Udon Thani part of the time (every 2 months) and wiil eventually retire there, in say 4 years

Currently doing the house design for the land that I bought earlier this year and plan to start building next year.

So if you need any info on material prices or other cost, I am gradually collecting them from the local Udon Thani suppliers

Regards

pipoz4444
pipoz

Postby fluffykeith » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks pipoz4444

We are hoping to do the land transfer when we next visit in the new year. Need to get out there and sort it. Mother-in-law is sick with the big C word so emphasis at the mo is her getting to see her grandson.
The flight cost is an issue right now as we have spent out on widows for the house - at least we are warmer now :)

But if all goes well and if the land is ok (not seen it yet) we may be gathering prices too.

cheers

Keith
fluffykeith

Postby geordie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 pm

fluffykeith wrote:Thanks pipoz4444

We are hoping to do the land transfer when we next visit in the new year. Need to get out there and sort it. Mother-in-law is sick with the big C word so emphasis at the mo is her getting to see her grandson.
The flight cost is an issue right now as we have spent out on widows for the house - at least we are warmer now :)

But if all goes well and if the land is ok (not seen it yet) we may be gathering prices too.

cheers

Keith

Not good news on the MIL sorry to here anyone suffering from that disease in particular
Anyway don,t despair i finally got here a few months ago after ten + years of struggling watching my living standards go down as the goverment figured out more and more ways for us to support half the worlds refugees and a substantial No of single mums who seem to do so well out of it as a single dad i got sweet nothing but thats how it seems to work ?? Finally here waiting for things to settle down which should be soon
if i stop finding jobs to be done here :lol: :lol: like the uk that will never happen ? I seem to have spent most of my free time in life doing maintainence :shock: ah well at least boredom is not an issue and if i do have a couple of chill days sitting around the wife thinks i am bored and chases me off to Pattaya for a couple of days :?: :?: She can be a good sport sometimes Don,t doo what i did hanging it out there too long wrecks the body to the extent you lose out here
Read a few build stories so you get an idea on how they do things here basically there is more similarity to the med than uk concrete frames infill panels render instead of plaster tiles instead of carpet a lot of people are now opting for what would be considered factory roofing insulated metal Try getting that through the planning department :lol: :lol: = I would like a blue coulorbond metal roof on my dwelling ??
the shock would kill someone it has got farcical the amount of regulations now but someone has to enforce all these regs == its called job creation
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:58 am

There's an old saying Geordie ! "If you don't use it, you lose it " so keep busy mate ! On the regulation front I suppose it's all relative to what you are used to. This generation have grown up with it and don't know any better,but can you imagine the changes I have seen in my 82 years,? all that freedom gone for ever. That's why I love Thailand so much, Warts and all.
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Mike Judd wrote:There's an old saying Geordie ! "If you don't use it, you lose it " so keep busy mate ! On the regulation front I suppose it's all relative to what you are used to. This generation have grown up with it and don't know any better,but can you imagine the changes I have seen in my 82 years,? all that freedom gone for ever. That's why I love Thailand so much, Warts and all.

Mike you have no idea how intrusive the regulations have become planning can now dictate how you renovate inside as well as outside your home I am allowed to install my own central heating all the rads the boiler everything but to connect electricity to it about as complicated as wiring a plug i have to have a certified electrician :( To connect the gas is the same ? so hang on i have just succesfully connected 60-70
pipe runs presurised the system to 1.5 bar without leaks and i am not allowed to conect a gas pipe at 5-6 psi
without a registered gas fitter ? On the subject of which i have a pet fitter he is in fact a chimney sweep but because he has to disconect and reconnect the ocasional gas fire he had to obtain gas registration ? he did a ten day course bored to death with a lot of crap he did not understand or need paid his £350 for the training and certificate pays n annual fee of £60 to stay registered and knows more about nuclear fission than central heating boilers even logging on to register a boiler with the local Authority is beyond his talent but he does have a certificate and registration No :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Uk is like Japan now build a house you have to have parking ?? The downside is thousands of shops with empty properties that will remain empty because they cannot provide for the parking requirement ?? Out of three sons one is more likely to get a pilots license than a driving licence i bought him a new scooter at 16 it was delivered on his birthday at 2PM
by 2-15 he had his first crash 2 houses away he hit the kerb and smashed the bike ? after six months of attempts including his younger brother teaching him it became obvious he shoul not be in charge of anything mechanichally propelled the final straw was hitting a police van :( he has not and will not ever drive again that was ten years ago so why does he need a parking area outside his home ?? The local authorities have the power to introduce "By laws" and enforce them to whatever degree they want they sneak them in unanounced then nail you with a fine because you are in breach of some crap the fact that todays youngsters have grown up with these regs does not make it any easier thats for sure as what is right and permissible in your house could well be illegal in a house two streets away Different council The biggest shock i ever got was i out of courtesy asked how big a shed i could put oin a plot of land i own "house sized"
i was informed that as there was no house on the land only planning permision i would have to first start building before i could errect a shed to store garden equipment or apply for full planning permision £££ several hundred and the would require an architects drawing ??? FOR A GARDEN SHED ! things have definately gone too far warts an all this place for all its faults you are allowed to live more or less as you want :D
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fluffykeith » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Reassuring to know I'm not the only one fed up with UK regs.
The thing is its out of proportion. Sure I don't want to cause a gas leak and blow my home away so someone should check my work there, do a leak test etc.
but needing someone to check I fit a window correctly?! In fact when checking the start of work, the regs inspector just looked at the window and said it looked good and neatly fitted. Thing is no one would have notice the difference except that I later need planning for an extension and then they would notice.

As for Thai building, I watched some houses going up near the sister-in-laws place last year when we visited, as you say just like the med methods.
fluffykeith

Return to Introduce Yourself