in love with thailand part 2

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

in love with thailand part 2

Postby mike millar » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:45 am

Hello my name is Mike I'm from canada I'm 24 years old I just got back from a three month trip fromt thailand I will be living there one day full time and I for sure will be building a house there no question about that. I will read the website in more deatail but I have failed to see entrys on the very beggining stages of how you would go about buying property or land maybe I have missed them if someone could point me int he right direction that would be great
mike millar

buying land

Postby dozer » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:08 pm

There is a write up on some of the legal considerations here: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/artownership.htm. You can have a few different estate agents take you around and show you property. You need to spend some time getting to know the area you want to buy in. The estate agents are into the kickback scheme big time where they tell you they are getting only 3 percent commision, but they have really fixed the deal so the seller only gets a fixed price and they keep the remainder. Both Thai and Farang agents play this game so be careful. Once you have an idea of where you want to buy, if there is a lot of land around, you can inquire who the owner is and try to deal directly.
dozer
Site Admin

thank you

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:37 am

that is very nic eof you to prvide this information free of charge I want you to know that it is appicated and you will be the first person at my BBQ when I build my house one day in thailand website is great it will be marked on my favorites list from now on

mike

Postby mike millar » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:40 am

that is very nice of you to provide this information free of charge I want you to know that it is appicated and you will be the first person at my BBQ when I build my house in thailand website is great it will be marked on my favorites list from now on

I always forget tolog on sorry about the double posts.

mike
mike millar

Postby SteveH » Thu May 05, 2005 2:14 pm

We found our land through a local Farang Bar, as Dozer said even they want commision from the vendor, I was lucky that my brother in law knew the ropes. He suggested to the vendor and the 'agent' that they halve the commision rate and knock the same amount off the asking price for the land, that way everyone was happy.
In our case we spent alot of time where we eventually bought and the locals soon got to know we were looking. Of course that would not be the same in a bigger place such as Pattaya or Phuket.
A couple of words of warning, obviously when a Thai vendor knows a Farang is in the market his expectations, price wise, will be higher, and of course the same would apply with a Farang vendor or a Farang 'agent' they would expect to get more from you too. If you have a trustworthy Thai to arrange everything you may be better staying out of sight until the deal is done.
SteveH

Return to Introduce Yourself