The beginning of a journey.,,

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

The beginning of a journey.,,

Postby 49er Mike » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:32 am

Hello all. I probably won't be contributing much for awhile, but be learning from you. I have been living in Thailand and Cambodia for the past three years. I lease a quite large house there which was new construction and well built when I moved in. I likely will continue to live there until my Cambodian work project is completed. Actually, I would like to live in Cambodia forever but I don't think my Thai wife will let that happen!

Currently, I (we) are in the "looking to buy" property stage. I can't believe what has happened with property prices in the last three years around Mukdahan! I might end up building on some of the chanote property my inlaws have...but really I didn't want to be within "walking distance". I love them, just don't want to live with them.

I have a LITTLE construction experience as I did act as the "general contractor" on a fire gutted house I had years ago in the USA. I speak virtually no Thai. My wife speaks "conversational English, but we have our moments when talking about anything technical...she doesn't know the English words and often doesn't know the Thai words either as her family are farmers. She does have a college degree from a university in Thailand, but I have noticed that there is not much correlation between studies in Thailand and the USA. We will get through this process, but I realize I need to learn from your mistakes and experiences, thanks for sharing!

Mike
49er Mike

Re: The beginning of a journey.,,

Postby MGV12 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 am

49er Mike wrote: I speak virtually no Thai. My wife speaks "conversational English, but we have our moments when talking about anything technical...she doesn't know the English words and often doesn't know the Thai words either as her family are farmers.

Welcome to CTH Mike ... good to have you posting.

The quote above will be your biggest stumbling block but entering the fray with eyes open as you are will help.

Patience will be your greatest friend .... as it can get very exasperating trying to get the point across.

Lot's of sketches and photos of what you really want will help the process ... and occasionally jumping up and down!

49er ... does that make you an American football fan or a gold prospector?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 am

Yes welcome Mike.

Not just Mukdahan it seems most of Thailand is witnessing land price increases. I think still good value and buying a large plot then subdividing to recoup expenditure is one way to get affordability.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby 49er Mike » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:10 pm

MGV12-

Eyes are definitely wide open! :shock: And you are right, I am a gold prospector. That is what I am doing in Cambo.

Mike
49er Mike

Postby 49er Mike » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:12 pm

BKKBILL-

I guess I probably should do a Forum search for what you mentioned about subdividing properties...but is it easy to do in Thailand. In most places in the States the zoning and subdivision laws preclude it.

Mike
49er Mike

Return to Introduce Yourself