A new guy building in Panama

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

A new guy building in Panama

Postby panapat » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi, although I have lived and worked in Thailand for a number of years my input to this forum will be regarding a build in Panama. I hope it will be of interest to the board members. Panama is not so different to Thailand, in that its a tropical country but a lot different to Thailand regarding availability of construction products. Talking to my good friend John on this board, the experiences I am having with building here are very similar to building in Thailand, building methods, communication, lack of tools etc. My experience has begun with a renovation of my girlfriends house here, she is experienced with the construction "techniques" as she worked with an architect for 12 years. Our main build will be on virgin land, no roads, no power and no water at this time although available. I will post that progress separately from the renovation.
panapat

Re: A new guy building in Panama

Postby MGV12 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:44 am

panapat wrote:Hi, although I have lived and worked in Thailand for a number of years my input to this forum will be regarding a build in Panama. I hope it will be of interest to the board members. Panama is not so different to Thailand, in that its a tropical country but a lot different to Thailand regarding availability of construction products. Talking to my good friend John on this board, the experiences I am having with building here are very similar to building in Thailand, building methods, communication, lack of tools etc. My experience has begun with a renovation of my girlfriends house here, she is experienced with the construction "techniques" as she worked with an architect for 12 years. Our main build will be on virgin land, no roads, no power and no water at this time although available. I will post that progress separately from the renovation.

Welcome to CTH .. it will be very interesting to see the differences and similarities of building over there.

Good luck

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby payebacs » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:50 am

Hi Pat. I'm a curious as to whether you at one stage contemplated building in Thailand or if Panama has always been your first love in life.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby panapat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 pm

I thought about it but at the time it was so difficult to own land and the language was a concern for me I opted for Panama as you can own land here with no problem and the language is a tad easier to pick up. The lifestyle is similar in costs and weather but a slightly lower pace of living than Thailand, the food is not as exotic either.
panapat

Postby panapat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 am

Hello again, I finally have had a topography done of the land here in Panama. I am not too happy with it but at least I can show the architect the terrain. My intention is to get a road installed to the top of the hill, I have two options, one is the access road to the East of the property of from the southern section going up the hill, North then cutting across the ridge Westwards. Finding a contractor is the problem because I don't want a road that washes out during the first hint of rain, we are still looking. The East access is the easiest but to the west of that entry is a pretty rough view of a families home. They want to sell but the price is too high at the moment.

Here is a link to the type of home we have in mind and a link to some videos to give you an idea of the terrain. I have some better ones which I will add later.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i0g345nxajjn4hw/xMhtnw9-v7
panapat

Postby panapat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:19 am

[/attachment]
IMG_1380.JPG
Room with base installed
Sorry I haven't posted recently and the reason for that is the Finca work has took a back seat and the focus has been on the house renovations. We recently finished tiling the main living room and here are some photos. Costs have been high for material but labor has been very low so cannot complain. I can list costs if interested as a comparison to Thailand.[img][/
Attachments
IMG_1505.JPG
Finished flooring
IMG_1502.JPG
Floor with corrugated covering and chicken wire, note the thick set mortar
panapat

Return to Introduce Yourself