Hi to all

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hi to all

Postby wabbits » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi new to board thought it was about time as will be building a little house near Kap Chiong in the near future and may need some guidance of old hands here.
In brief Married to a TG (theres a suprise) and we plan to eventually end up living along the 214 the other side of Kap Chiong but not for awhile.

We spend most of our time in Oz where we both work but have decided that a little bahn of our own might be nice for those frequent visits.
When we build it will be nothing big just a space for us later that bigger place will surely come.

Ipad app for setting out the floor plan using 3 meter sq seems popular in Isaan.

I am an Admin on another board which i am not sure i can talk about but that is not why i am here.

My hope is to maybe catch up with a few who are in the Kap Chiong area for a beer or 2 and learn what is available for the english speaking fellow.

Please be my guide about here as i do not want to offend with wrong questions etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Wabbits or Scotty.
wabbits

Re: Hi to all

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:29 pm

wabbits wrote:Hi new to board thought it was about time as will be building a little house near Kap Chiong in the near future and may need some guidance of old hands here.
In brief Married to a TG (theres a suprise) and we plan to eventually end up living along the 214 the other side of Kap Chiong but not for awhile.

We spend most of our time in Oz where we both work but have decided that a little bahn of our own might be nice for those frequent visits.
When we build it will be nothing big just a space for us later that bigger place will surely come.

Welcome and good to see a new face ... plenty of info on here for those seeking guidance but if you don't see what you need just ask.

wabbits wrote:I am an Admin on another board which i am not sure i can talk about but that is not why i am here.

Are there other boards these days? How the world is changing!

wabbits wrote:Wabbits or Scotty.

Is that as in Elmer Fudd's "I hate those pesky ......"?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby wabbits » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Cheers MVG12 will spend quite some time going through threads I thing many questions will be answered.

Wabbits is a name that has stuck have used it as a handle for quite awhile some might call me pesky ha ha.

Thailand the land of Farang and forum there are a few out there.

Looking forward to reading and getting to know a few of you lads.

Have poped in from time to time reading bits and bobs loads of info.

I don't work in the building industry but have been associated with electrical trades early on doing most of an apprenticeship but family matters put paid to that.

Love working with wood and have a good idea as to what my first project house wise.
wabbits

Postby Makmak456 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:16 am

Welcome to the board.
Fellow woodworker !
Just a hobby or more ?
Mark
Makmak456

Postby wabbits » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi Mark

No just a hobby but find it very relaxing.

I like it as it makes you be accurate as you can't put it back if you cut off too much.

My intention to have a workshop again to potter in with Lathe and saw benches etc.

Started looking through forum will indeed take me sometime to pour over the material here.

Cheers for the welcome

Scotty
wabbits

Postby Makmak456 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:38 pm

I plan on a good table saw and a compound miter saw to start, followed by a joiner as funds permit. Just a hobby for me too, but I plan on quite a bit of my interior WW will be done by me.
Mark
Makmak456

Postby wabbits » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 am

Sounds perfect that precise stuff always better and More satisfying when you do it yourself.

That and the quality of locals can be less than ok from what I have seen.
wabbits

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:13 am

Been down that road here in Oz, going to the Wood Show in Sydney every year, coming away with a few thousand dollars worth of goodies until there was not a tool left to buy. Thought about shipping it all over to Thailand in a big container but what to use it on,? Apart from Teak there doesn't seem to be any decent timber readily available. My latest hobby before getting the house building bug in Thailand, was Wood carving, that was great when you have nothing else to do, which I didn't for a few years. But maybe later as all the timbers of the world are here for sale in Sydney and you don't need big amounts to do a bit of carving. I was looking for a back door last month and ended up with a Teak one although they did have what looked like Western Red Cedar door there in Home Pro , but the guy said "Timber no good" and I was in too much of a hurry to pursue it further. I did want to paint the door but have seen in another post where they said you can't paint Teak, is that true ? or is there some preparation that can be done before painting because of the oil content. ? Any one help.!
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:52 am

Mike Judd wrote:you can't paint Teak, is that true ? or is there some preparation that can be done before painting because of the oil content. ? Any one help.!

According to nautical folk I have spoken with in the past this product works well over teak: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1329

I have also read that if you wash the wood down several times with acetone [or similar], to remove the natural oil from the surface, you can paint with a good primer and then whatever you choose ... apparently water-based acrylic works well as it penetrates to give a good purchase and resistance to flaking. Teak that has been exposed to the elements should be less of a problem as the greying indicates an absence of oil. Obviously where there is no exposure to sea salt the life expectancy of the paint should be increased considerably.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby wabbits » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Like Cedar no need to paint or oil but will turn grey.

I was slow to oil a deck (hard wood) I had on the Gold Coast Qld it turned grey...You can oil with color stain but will always come up dull I have found. Last forever though
wabbits

Return to Introduce Yourself