Greetings from Alaska!

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Greetings from Alaska!

Postby akwoodworker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:24 am

Hi! My name is Russ and I hail from Fairbanks, Alaska. It is great to find this site as I plan to start on our house this winter. This will be my first winter since retiring not staying in Alaska. Unfortunately the cost of living here is becoming quite prohibitive: heating oil is about $400/mo and electric is about the same. Add in gas for the vehicles, which need to be warmed up, and food it is easy to spend most of my retirement staying warm. I now do custom woodworking and attend a local summer market every week to sell my wares but there is little work in the winter. So it is 6 months in Issan. I have designed my house but will use as much insulation and such to keep it cool although most likely be coming back to Alaska for the summers, it is hard to beat 21 hours of daylight. I plan on being a bicyclist while there and work on the house. From what I understand the level of craftsmanship is a bit lacking so I intend to do most of the work myself.
Regards,
Russ
akwoodworker

Re: Greetings from Alaska!

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 am

akwoodworker wrote:Hi! My name is Russ and I hail from Fairbanks, Alaska. It is great to find this site as I plan to start on our house this winter. This will be my first winter since retiring not staying in Alaska. Unfortunately the cost of living here is becoming quite prohibitive: heating oil is about $400/mo and electric is about the same. Add in gas for the vehicles, which need to be warmed up, and food it is easy to spend most of my retirement staying warm. I now do custom woodworking and attend a local summer market every week to sell my wares but there is little work in the winter. So it is 6 months in Issan. I have designed my house but will use as much insulation and such to keep it cool although most likely be coming back to Alaska for the summers, it is hard to beat 21 hours of daylight. I plan on being a bicyclist while there and work on the house. From what I understand the level of craftsmanship is a bit lacking so I intend to do most of the work myself.
Regards,
Russ

Welcome to CTH ... good to have you with us.

So a move from a place where you spend a fortune on heating to Isaan ... where you could spend a smaller fortune on cooling! Some contrast there!

I am sure with some good planning and learning from the experience of others you'll keep that cooling bill way down.

Yes ... being an artisan yourself you may be a little disappointed with craft levels amongst building workers here ... but good workers do exist, it's simply a case of sorting the wheat from the chaff and finding the real building workers amongst all the wannabees :) Good luck and please keep us posted.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Greetings from Alaska!

Postby Makmak456 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:22 am

Welcome to CTH ............fellow woodsmyth :)
Makmak456

Return to Introduce Yourself