Hello from Washington State

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Hello from Washington State

Postby manerat » Mon May 14, 2012 7:53 am

I am Clark. I lived in Songkhla for about 5 years and returned to the US in 2001. Like most I married a Thai and plan on building a house near her home Lomsak. I am still trying to decide what to build. Specifically, I am still searching for house designs and styles. We already have land prepared and graded and will likely start construction sometime in 2013 but I am trying to get up to speed on issues before I start the process. So, I have lots to learn.
manerat

Re: Hello from Washington State

Postby thailazer » Mon May 14, 2012 8:17 am

Welcome to CTH Clark. What part of Washington are you from? I worked in Spokane for 20 years but lived across the border in CDA.
thailazer

Postby manerat » Tue May 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Thailazer,
I am over here on the West side of the mountains in Bellingham. The weather is a bit different. I have seen your postings on the site. Were you involved in the construction industry while in the US and CD? And what was your overall experience building in Thailand. After living there for 5 years I understand some of the issues. But, when it comes down to it you have to be on site during the entire build. I have had friends build custom homes in the US with "the best builders". It was still a nightmare. So, I still have a lot of research to do in preparation but do you have any suggestions on where to start looking on the site. Just to get my footing. Thanks.
manerat

Postby thailazer » Tue May 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Manerat... Ah, the wet side! Always enjoyed traveling and visiting through that area.

My father was a carpenter back in the USA and in the past I used contractors to build a few wooden houses. The process here is very, very different and much more difficult in my opinion. When you see 50,000 pounds of concrete hoisted up to the second floor in pails by workers in a day, you really get an appreciation for how hard these people work. My experience building was very positive, but we were lucky in finding a very capable and dedicated crew. Had I known what the real pitfalls could have been, I would have never built here. One small example.... our fixed labor contract was only a few pages long. When the back hoe to dig the footings arrived, I thought that was going to be out of my pocket but the builder included that, the diggers, painters, and all the subcontractors in his fee. A friend built here a few years back and he paid extra for the subs. So.... Pure luck in having a good builder not gouging the client. My advice to you would be to find a crew that can show you houses they have built, and talk to the owners. Make sure your wife can talk to them easily and try to determine if they are interested in doing a quality build or just showing up.
thailazer

Postby manerat » Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks. My wife still has family in the town we are going to build. But, I still have concerns about the quality of the work. One good thing is that many wealthy Thais are now building in the area. And their homes are "western" style and they have a higher expectation of quality. So, I am hoping to find a crew with experience. Fortunately my Thai is passable. I will have to learn a lot of construction specific vocab. I also have a friend, a Belgian, who built recently. He was a maintenance supervisor at a large hospital and is very familiar with electrical and plumbing systems. He has offered to come over and assist while that phase is being done. I will continue to review many of the blogs on the site. I have a lot to learn but I also have time before I actually build. Talk to you soon.
manerat

Return to Introduce Yourself