John&Apple & Son

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

John&Apple & Son

Postby John&Apple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:22 am

Hi
Apple and I had our house built in a swampy area that had dirt dumped in it and no irrigation to drain off during the monsoons. The water table is near the ground surface, and the dirt is hard clay like concrete. The house construction team was low budget, and just about everything bad you can think of about Thai craftsmanship went in to this house. On the exterior it looks very nice, but the innards are what is driving me crazy now.

The issues I have are in no particular order:

Electrical - I need to have a complete rewiring with ground installed.

Water - The main was installed without a stop valve and my pump send all my water in my storage tank right back into the city main when they cut off my water supply (without notice and for an indefinite amount of time).

Sewer Tank #1 - After reading a lot of these posts about sewer systems and how "water runs uphill" in Thailand, I realize how poorly installed my two tanks are. No u-traps, no vent pipes, etc. My master bath has the toilet and shower running into one tank. It also has the drainage from the washing machine running into it and hence the chemicals interfere with the organisms that break down the sewage. I am sure there is a bio-med buildup of sludge going on. The smell some times is horrible.

Sewer Tank #2 + Septic - I am certain my fiberglass tank has everything besides the above leading into it. The guest bathroom sink, toilet and shower along with the kitchen sink. All these mixed into one tank. I am certain I have no grease trap.

Most of this is buried under concrete and tiles that not even a scud missile could dent. What I want to do - what I hope to do - is have experts come in and put a proper field in and the necessary tanks. The drain is a municipal drain as I am certain no conventional drain field was installed (french drain, etc.). The drain goes out to the front of our house and from there I do not know.

Does anyone here know a reliable team that has foreign leadership, who can do the things everyone on this board says to do - the correct and proper way? I need a doctor and not a witch doctor. I have absolutely no time anymore with Thai workmanship and I don't want to get banned on my first post telling when I think of the hundreds of thousands of THB I lost due to the damage control I am facing.

Thank you, and I love this board. The knowledge base and pictures really help me to realize and be envious of some of you posters who did it the right way.

I included some photos, but I can't quite make out what they are, and the rubbish is indicative of the sloppy work.

If anyone knows of a do-all company that can rip out the concrete and re-install I sure would appreciate it. We are going to build a nanny room and recreational room and install a small swimming pool later, but I think if I do not fix this now it will be bad times later.
Attachments
Image023.jpg
Image022.jpg
Image015..jpg
Image014...jpg
Image012...jpg
Image007...jpg
John&Apple

Re: John&Apple & Son

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:59 am

John and Apple,
John I apologise for not being able to suggest anyone at this stage to rectify all your problems. I may be able to recommend someone in the near future.
I cannot recall anyone being banned for being honest about most Thai workmanship and some of the posters are more than annoyed with the difference of what they were told they would get, to what the "builder" delivered.
The photos should actually be immortalised in the plumbing section.
You have my sympathy.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:49 pm

John, if you tell us the location of your property someone may be able to help you. There are good thai builders around but not many and foreign builders are not much better from what I have seen and charge a lot more. The type of work to fix your house is quite major and you would probably not be able to live there during the work.
pattayapope

Postby John&Apple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks RR

Actually, my wife had purchased the contract before I met her and the house was completed way overdue, as were the other houses in this development. The person running the operation is about as crooked and cheap and lying person you would ever wish to not meet.

This is regrettable, and I am wondering if our house is worth saving. We really like the area because it is fairly quiet as locations go. That is chief for us.

The thing is, I am doubtful doubtful about relocating simply because the housing market is a buyers market right now, and we could never get compensation for all the additions and modernizations we had constructed into the house. Also, I am terrified of buying a building in Thailand that I could not oversee being built. I have lost all faith in Thai workmanship that has not has any foreign direction and supervision to standards that foreigners and simple science and the laws of physics are familiar with in proper practice. For some reason, the Thais simply do not get it. They will one day have an infrastructure problem on their hands that will catapult them back into the stone age because their resources will have run out, and any more cheating and skimping and corner cutting will propel them over the edge. That's how I feel anyway. I simply don't know how much more they can get away with not using standards that they can all agree on and mapping things out with an eye to the future. My biggest concern is their disrespect for waste water management. We all need water to survive.

So, I guess I feel I'll give it my best go, and "de-construct" the house to a point and get it done. I am convinced that after the two new buildings are done and the swimming pool are done, along with the new waste water management, we'll be into the house for a good 10 million THB, but there won't be much else to compare with it as far as having a haven to come home to and be able to experience peace and quiet and all the modern conveniences that hard working people need to be happy in life, and raise a family.

Sorry to ramble, but this has me upset because either way my wife and I are looking at a big expense because my good wife simply trusted a Thai builder with a fancy brochure and slick talk and who is simply out to make a quick baht at the expense of a clean, green and healthy environment.

And if anyone knows of a foreign run crew who does a spot on job at excavating out old systems and reinstalling proper ones, please PM me. Thank you.
John&Apple

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:59 pm

pattayapope wrote:John, if you tell us the location of your property someone may be able to help you.

Like pattayapope said!
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby John&Apple » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
pattayapope wrote:John, if you tell us the location of your property someone may be able to help you.

Like pattayapope said!

It's in the Nong Kat Yai area, just north of Pattaya Nua about 15 minutes.

Thanks. It's alarming to hear from you mates how even the foreign businesses are not much better, but more expensive.

I guess in my ignorance, I feel that as along as I am persuaded or convinced that the person I am dealing with can understand me, then I at least have a grip on the situation. That's the fly in the ointment; not having a grip on the situation. Building jet airliners for 16 years and working with engineers (mechanical, electrical, and structural) as a quality control inspector has given me the intuitive and instinctive gift to be able to know when something from those categories is not right. I may not know the ins and outs, but I at least know when something is not right per drawing document or spec, and that's when the coffer strings tighten. LOL.
John&Apple

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:37 pm

John to be quite honest I don't know any good Expat builders in Pattaya but I will ask around, I live the other side of Pattaya you are welcome to visit have a look at my place and we can have a chat about your problems. My Thai builder does good work but he does not have good electrician so I used a guy who is very good and did everything I wanted but he is not cheap. I don't like to recommend anyone because they all have there faults and most seem to just let the workers do the work with minimal supervision.

Let me know and we can get in touch on this thread as you can,t use PM system yet.

PS I am only available on weekends
pattayapope

Return to Introduce Yourself