Ed and Emi from Bangkok

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Ed and Emi from Bangkok

Postby newhomepages » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Hello, I am Ed and my wife is Emi. I came from the U.S.A. and Emi was born here in Thailand. We both live here now and are actively working on building a little house we will live in on the outskirts of Bangkok, near Safari World. The house is a two story, modern tropical design with less than 150 square meters of indoor space on a piece of land about 230 square wa. I started a thread in the Your Building Story section of this forum called Building a Modern Home in Bangkok. Please check in to follow our progress or make a contribution. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3247

Thanks,
Ed
newhomepages

Re: Ed and Emi from Bangkok

Postby elgato » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Welcome Ed and Emi. Where in the states are you from?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby newhomepages » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Elgato,

Mostly San Francisco.
Do you like cats? Our new home will also be a cat sanctuary.

-EE
newhomepages

Postby payebacs » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 am

A cat sanctuary? Is that by choice or due to the openplan nature of the proposed build :lol: Sounds interesting Ed. I always figured airflow for cooling to be up through the roof but flat roof and a nice through breeze.. I look forward to learning more. Does building very open style not intimidate you at all being in a big city. Not that it should do it's not Johannesburg it's Krung Thep! But, what are your thoughts on having a balance between you know security and free living.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby newhomepages » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 pm

payebacs,

Thanks for the message.

No, I just really love cats and we will have a good amount of land around the house for them to play in. One major idea of the home is to have life moving around as much as possible since the building will look industrial, cold and monolithic. I want to strongly contrast it with life such as plants, cats, birds, squirrels, reptiles and the motion of water and wind.

Yes, a hole in the roof would help eliminate hotter air from the interior. I originally designed it this way with stairs going up through a hole in the roof from inside the building. This is one instance where practicality beat out function. The stairs to the roof were put on the outside of the building which gives us more space inside and on the roof, and eliminates the difficulties associated with a big hole in the roof. The ceilings are high, up to 3.5 meters which should give the hotter air a place to collect and be blown out through high openings in the walls. Later, we will probably install ventilation tubes to move hotter air out and cooler in.

I am not relying on anything more than standard door locks to keep people out of the house. There will be all sorts of other security measures: attack cats, lights, cameras, alarms and hot flying lead. If people are willing to risk death to get a big screen TV, then I would gladly let them if they didn't try to harm us. We don't have lots of jewelry or anything of great value. I want to keep the car outside the fence to make it easier to steal without entering the main grounds. I haven't seen that home invasions are worse here than in the U.S. I am certain that car burglary is much less of a problem in Krung Thep than San Francisco. But I would like to see more reliable statistics and hear victim's accounts so we can prepare appropriately.

-EE
newhomepages

Postby MGV12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:31 am

newhomepages wrote: attack cats

"Attack cats' is a great idea but being cats, however well trained, they will only perform when they feel like it ... so you are wise to be considering other measures :)

Good luck with the project

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby payebacs » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 am

newhomepages wrote:payebacs..... since the building will look industrial, cold and monolithic. I want to strongly contrast it with life such as plants, cats, birds, squirrels, reptiles and the motion of water and wind.

I see Ed, thanks :) my question regarding security was because I thought that perhaps you'd be living pretty much surrounded only by cats, birds, squirrels, and plants and no cold and monolithic structure at all so, not to worry. I'm sure you'll sleep very snugly! :wink: Enjoy.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Return to Introduce Yourself