USA part-time retiree to Thailand

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

USA part-time retiree to Thailand

Postby boatguy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Hello,
My name is Brian and I'm a 69 year old guy who married a former Thai school teacher with the idea of retiring full time to Thailand. Those plans got a little revision for various reasons, and I now spend a fair amount of time in USA and the rest in Thailand. We've been married for 4 years now.

We presently have an adjoining pair of townhouses in Khon Kaen, and I'm looking at how I might spend some times down near a shoreside area in some sort of shoreside cottage or a floating one maybe.

Upon semi-retirement I have fallen back to an old desire of mine to design sailing vessels, and Motorsailor ones in particular. So I have a website up (needs serious updating), and I do a lot of participation on at least 4 boating forums based in the US.

website: <removed URLs per FAQ policies on self promotion - mod>
boatguy

Re: USA part-time retiree to Thailand

Postby payebacs » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 am

:lol: Well that's a new angle, a floating house build..! I've never considered a boat a house but if you live in it well, it's certainly a home. Glad you wont I don't think be putting all of your hopes on a floating home cos I knew of a guy who did that once in the town where I used to live, spent years building the thing in his backyard, it was of great interest to all in the town who were forever peering over the fence at it, and when he'd finally finished he shipped his teenage kids off to boarding school, sold the house, and made ready to embark on his dream. About 100 miles down the coast him and his wife were lifted to safety the boat largely trashed on the rocks. I think I'll stick to terra firma thanks. Khon Kaen sounds nice.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Re: USA part-time retiree to Thailand

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:09 pm

boatguy,
A floating house would be something new to this forum. There are a lot on the Chao Phraya River. The Thais use the old rice barges that they covert to live in and then moor them under bridges. It would be interesting to float along the Chao P river for a few days, even weeks, but eventually the polluted waters would get to me.
Mooring a house boat around Thailand would be an interesting exercise, but I think you'll find the price prohibitive and the facilities somewhat short. Maybe the larger places like Pattaya or Koh Samui have permanent moorings, but the rest of the coastal waters are thwart with danger.
Even protected islands like Ko Samed can be dangerous at different times of the year as anchorages are subject to prevailing winds and off-shore storms, but I have seen a large number of boats anchored off it, but it would depend on the type of house boat. And if you were going to move the whole time you would need dozens of nautical maps as a draw of even a few feet in places is hard to come by.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Return to Introduce Yourself