lazy lanna chiangmai traditinal wood house

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

lazy lanna chiangmai traditinal wood house

Postby lazylanna » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:54 pm

hi everyone

My name is ben and i live in Chiangmai with my family, we are currently building a traditional Lanna wood house on a plot of land in padaed amphur muang. We have a plot of land that is 250 TW or 1000m2, when we purchased the land our main reason was view of mountain and doi suthep temple and closeness to superhigway and city.
We are now starting to get to the end of the build, but have many other projects of interest and would like to share our adventure in the last year or so of building, and continue to the future.
My interest is to use as little concrete as possible for anything, and as much wood, bamboo and stone as possible. I find concrete cold and uninviting for the country feeling i have on the land. I have a great passion for traditional architecture, vernacular architecture and like natural living where ever possible. :D
We have gone through a steep learning curve, and now feel confident to say we know most places of wood stock, price and construction which is vitally important for wood house building. Oh....and a reliable good hearted builder.
So i hope to impart any info from what we have learnt and still to be learnt in pics, jokes, fun and amusement.

Thanks and its great to be on here.
lazylanna

Re: lazy lanna chiangmai traditinal wood house

Postby geordie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Ben welcome to the forum and congratulations on standing you ground going traditional
many give up because of the dificulty,s of finding tradesmen to do the work and suppliers that don,t add a massive farrang premium personally i am a concrete and mortar man but thats not to say i don,t apreciate good craftsmanship !! something short in supply over there :roll: i look forward to seeing the pictures and finished results
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Good to have you on board Ben ... "pics, jokes, fun and amusement." ... sounds like a great combination ... bring it on!

Whereabouts in CM are you?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby payebacs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:38 pm

A wood and rock house fitting in with nature will I'm sure make your move to thailand doublely sensible and appropriate. Enjoy!
payebacs

Postby payebacs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:48 pm

payebacs wrote:will I'm sure make your move to thailand

Not to say that you've moved there from anywhere. I don't know!! :D
payebacs

Postby lazylanna » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for the welcome, im in padaed amphur muang very close to bigc on superhighway no 2. or about 5km from the airport. we are lucky to have a view of Doi Suthep be close to the highway and get anywhere quick and feel like we are in the country. I am a fan of architecture and in the right place concrete is incredible, but for me here it doesnt make sense, wood does. In regards to foreign prices its not so bad in the north frontier but it is declining. I fell in love with my wife and also the Thai traditional house, truly a dream.
Anyway i will be happy to show pics fun jokes and amusements, with pleasure.

Cheers

Ben
lazylanna

Return to Introduce Yourself