Tree House

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Tree House

Postby payebacs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:37 am

Hi. I live and work in england and at 39 can't ignore the fact that I'll never be able to buy a house here, I work in a kitchen without a tie if you know what I mean. I'm happy but never moreso than during my two consequative month long trips to thailand, one last year and one the year before in 2010. Now some of the guys at my work come from Poland and seem to be forever saving to go back and buy a house there which is doable given the exchange rate and the 'reasonable' cost of property over there but as I say in my line of work that's still quite a schlep. Poland though can get extremely cold requiring therefore a very sound and solid house whereas my enthusiasm with thailand apart from having fallen in love with the place is that being so warm one's house needn't really be very much more than an umbrella! Of course with a view to retirement though I don't particularly want to consign myself to living under a tree but still, as per the previous rather exagerated umbrella example the fact remains that, I believe, in thailand one doesn't really 'need' a no matter how nice, wonderfully solid place so my interest in this site with many thanks to it's creator, surrounds or is going to surround houses and I hope there are some, of the very most modest sort involving perhaps a combination of solid walls and simply knocked together ones to arrive at, a kind of half tree house half nicely bricked and tiled floor one. I've spent quite some time scouring the internet in my quest to learn of just how to correctly lay a concrete slab so everything basically to learn and many thanks!
payebacs

Re: Tree House

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 am

payebacs welcome to the forum at 39 you are planning your retirement early :roll: Take a look at a build (my neighbours build in satahip) it,s a thai build cheap as chips but as long as you are looking for a tree house it should sufice my mate in chaing mai/chaing rai ?? live,s in a similar construction as do a lot of farrang who don,t have a large budget to build with if you are happy to have a place weathertight you don,t need to spend vast amounts of money after all you need somewhere to sleep eat and watch a bit of tv its dependant on what you can be happy with
My brother has bought a place in bulgaria or some eastern block country and is loving it having more sucsess with his second house than the first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: be warned they have no mercy over there when you leave they will strip the house and i mean strip :mrgreen: :mrgreen: the windows doors plumbing roof fireplace everything disapeared from his first purchase but he had decided to fly out there instead of transfering the money he lost his £2000 deposit but was happy to do so what was a house had been reduced to a shell in a couple of weeks on the asumption that the brother had seen the house liked it put down a deposit and agreed to transfer the money from uk on a specific date instead he took his new girlfreind there for a couple of days holiday to show the wonderful potential of the new house and a couple of acre,s of land ?? even the fence and gate had been stolen ?? presumably by the current owner or in agreement with him as he was suposedly living there
he went ahead and bought another place which is apparently twice the size but this time in a town almost oposite a police station :) In england you get away lightly they steal the telly the dvd or anything else easily saleable the rest of the place is a gamble having seen the same happen to a mate.s place in portugal (he was in thailand six months ) he has no doors windows plumbing left my Au pair years ago told me her sister was burgled and they came during the day with a furniture van Towed the steel gate off the house and stripped it bare
of everything including her clothes and the husbands its amazing what goes on and in uk we are pretty sheltered from it these days you can install a security system but its of no use if its stolen with everything else or the alarm goes off and no one does anything about it maybe this should go under Elgato,s thread aint life grand :lol: :lol: :lol: At least thailand they are not organised enough for that sort of behavior although in the mum in laws village they had a spate of break ins taking the saucepans even it turned out to be the village idiot he was selling the saucepans for scrap :( :(
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby payebacs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:49 am

Wow.. bulgaria. Yes, I've heard something of the goings on there but not of that nature. Actually very similar though maybe even worse in that with it's communist past something which made for that people didn't I don't think actually own their own property for everyone just had the same kind of thing, state housing or whatever, and then when it became capitalist if it is, or part of europe or whatever, and people owned houses, the one's still staying in their old houses from 30 years ago imagined that well this is their house now, only to when someone like your brother came along enquiring about buying a place find that the sort of property mafia over there would simply say to the buyer well, which house do you like, You can buy any of these houses in this street. And they;d be like really?? Any one? Sure, how about that one there after which whatever family was in there would just be turfed out! Oh we've sold your house now so scram, beat it. So maybe it's families like those who've resorted to stripping the now bought or newly built houses bare to try get their own back kind of thing but wow, yes, happends all over as you say, even saucepans! Thanks I am trying to find threads like that of your neighbour. I am early in planning but it gives me something to work towards you know cos having been twice I can't now imagine going anywhere else each year for my hols. It's just been kanchanburi and samui the first time and now in november past chiang mai and samui but starting to reckon that although samui is great am too much of a spender to be going there each year pretty much blowing my whole years savings and if I do that every year i wont have anything at all when i retire so next time I'm going to korat and all along this plans coming together. Because I know a girl there who's got her own land and although she'd just like to knock up a quick place for herself so that her daughter can have her old house to herself with my retirement plans and with a much longer build in mind, could enoy helping her out with that yes but if I'm wanting something more than that which I think by the time I retire I very well may do, and if I'm wanting to start building this step by step year by year so far in advance, then I feel that even should I marry, with she or with anyone in thailand for that matter I should still before laying even a brick get a 30 year lease on the build site land be it hers or someone elses although that does then leave me wondering about that leases renewal for if I leased it at 42 say and started figuring on digging some foundation trenches, then by the time it's built and I'm over there happily retired and living in it the lease would be up and I'd have scarcely moved in. So I'll be looking into this topic in the forums too. And into the actual different styles of build. Interestingly, having already decided that maybe I wont quite manage financially a big proper solid place on my own, the idea of having a part shack part solid place has become in my mind actually an almost even more attractive idea for me, in so much as that were someone to now suddenly say to me here you go mate here's 1 mil baht build yourself a luxury pad I may following this mindset shift in fact think ah man, can't I just still have the tree house.. with some additional comforts ie computer room, some tiled floor space and at least one secure and well locked room for the saucepan thief! So that's kind of where I'm coming from and my interest in this site.
payebacs

Postby geordie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:06 am

Payebacs i have bumped the neighbours build for you by Fredic hope you enjoy it will give you some thought on how easy you can do it regards the lease most of us will never see a renewal :( or in my case :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to Introduce Yourself