Colorado Greetings

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Colorado Greetings

Postby Colorado » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Warm greetings from COLDorado, as Mrs. Colorado and I to refer to it.

After 6 years there, we returned to Thailand 3-years ago, deciding to accommodate our cold-hardened bodies by coming to the cool of Chiang Rai. The Mrs. is born-and-raised in Bangkok, with roots in Ayuthaya, and my previous 4-years in Thailand were also in Bangkok... so this is new for both of us. Loving the cool winter this year, though not looking forward to the February/March smoke haze.

After looking for 1 year we bought land in Mae Lao (25km south of CR city), then decided it was too far out of town. So, just over a year ago we bought a smaller piece (1/2 rai) just a few km west of the center of town. One third the land size of Mae Lao for twice the price. (That seems to be the land economics of Chiang Rai. In the center of town people are asking 3-5m for 50 square wah. :shock: Will save any further discussion on this for the appropriate thread.)

Due to a family tragedy (my sister died of cancer last year), we were mostly away and did not get past the initial drawings for our design until September. Returning to Chiang Rai then, we immediately signed a contract with a reputable builder (good references from both local and expat sources) and started construction in early October.

So am coming to this site late, but wanted to thank all who have posted their stories and information here. It has been very helpful during the last 3-years of planning. Now I hope to share our experience for others to learn, and also hope to avail myself of the resident knowledge regarding various aspects of finishing our house. (Rough walls and roof just finished now.) I ask a few days of patience so I can get photos and such in order before posting.

Cheers to all.
Colorado

Re: Colorado Greetings

Postby elgato » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Welcome Colorado. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby sunliner » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 am

Colorado wrote:
. In the center of town people are asking 3-5m for 50 square wah. :shock: .

welcome aboard colorado,( me also a new member)

that price is no shock, c/rai has grown along in superman terms since 2005,when you see dealerships of all businesses,opening up on both sides of the city and a large shopping mall recently built,their is more legs left in c/rai ,make no mistake about that :)

as for the haze quote, smog is the correct word for it

best of luck :D
sunliner

Postby Colorado » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:19 am

Right you are, Sunliner. I always thought smog had to also have ozone in it -- usually from an abundance of car exhaust, which Chiang Rai still (thankfully) has only in small amounts. But that is 'photochemical smog', made famous in LA. The pure smog -- smoke and fog -- is surely what we have here in late-winter/ early-spring.

Re land prices here, it is truly amazing. Perhaps we could explore this more in the proper forum... have not looked there yet. My brother-in-law (American with Thai wife) is currently looking for land in Chiang Rai for a possible build. So it would be interesting to understand the drivers behind these prices.

Thanks for the welcome.
Colorado

Postby tangaroa67 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Colorado

I look forward to watching your build as I too am moving to Chiang Rai, later in the year. :D
tangaroa67

Postby Colorado » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks all.

Since I'm not yet ready to post plans and photos, I will fill in a little more of my background by saying that I have no experience with house-building here or elsewhere. I am reasonably handy with tools -- have built some simple furniture, rebuilt a shed roof once, put in light fixture or two, and that's about it. (Still know my way around a car pretty well, but that's a different cat altogether.)

I have been reading books and web sites regarding building in Thailand for a few years now. I am reasonably good at 'book-learnin', but obviously there is no substitute for hands-on experience.

In sum, what you'll get from me is the customer's experience from working with contractors. We are doing the design and picking the materials, but are focusing on trying to get quality contractors. I realize that is no guarantee, so there are a few risks. Naturally.

We are ready to hire experts to check the work when needed, but as of this point -- about half-way through the build -- we haven't felt the need yet.

Have checked out most of the Thai building websites. This is the one I liked the best, and so I plan to share our experiences here.

My congrats to Dozer and the large supporting cast of characters for making this happen. I hope I'll be able to add a few useful tips to the many on this site. 8)
Colorado

Return to Introduce Yourself