Building in Ubon Ratchathani

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Building in Ubon Ratchathani

Postby dan200777 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi all, happy new year!

A brief description below of what we're hoping to achieve, maybe some of you can offer a few pointers which would be greatly appreciated;

My fiancée's family rebuilt their 3-bed bungalow in Ampher Nayia (Ubon Ratchathani) about 15 years ago. Apart from the builder, various friends and family got involved during the build in an attempt to earn out of it, carrying out tasks that they really shouldn't have been doing due to lack of experience and general incompetence of the tasks in hand. Therefore 15 years later, it needs doing again as there are some fairly large cracks appearing in the concrete walls and the roof leaks in several places. Ideally we'd like to build something new within a few metres of the existing property and leave the old one standing for the time being.

I am not a builder but I recently (2009) had an extension built on our bungalow in the UK, I knew the builder very well as a friend and helped him, under the watchful eye of his 30 years experience, with the majority of the work to save some labour costs. So I'd like to think I have a basic understanding of things that are right and wrong when it comes to structures. That said, we live in the UK so my fiancée's family would be the only ones to oversee the build and they are all employed in healthcare, not construction so might not realise if someone tried to pull the wool over their eyes.

With this in mind, can anyone recommend any builders or tradesmen in this area? Whilst we don't want it to take 5 years, it's not something that has to be done immediately so I was thinking we could do it in stages, employing each trade at each stage, your thoughts again would be appreciated here. One other question before I sign off...why is it that whenever I've seen building work going on in Thailand that they pull in a shed load of new soil to build a house? This seems to totally detract from the proven method in the UK in that new soil will move, is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again, Dan.
dan200777

Re: Building in Ubon Ratchathani

Postby otis-a » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:09 am

welcome 007
u r 100% correct on new soil moving. The build is correctly done on old soil or piles. The new soil is typically to add luft. The elevation is needed to elevate living area from low rice field elevations.
Opinion:
In your situation, i would place money in thai stock fund or simple thai land purchases; until redi to move to thai. Unless u firmly believe sterling will not depreciate further. Options u mention or any build idea without occupation and local presence r sure recipe for failure.
You know what is said of opines?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Re: Building in Ubon Ratchathani

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:39 am

As most land was used for rice growing at some time or other, you need to either have loads of fill trucked in and make sure it is well compacted before building or build up on columns to the first floor, which most Thais did with their wooden houses which solved any water problems as well as some where for the cows to sleep. With the on ground method , what ever the build up of the ground itself, stick to the western procedure of at least a damp proof course under all walls to stop rising damp, the lack of same is evident in houses where the paint is peeling off of the walls around the bottom. Another good practice is 'Forticon" plastic under the slab if it is onground. This is not only a barrier in it's life time, but it puts a very smooth glassy finish on the under-side of the concrete ,plus stops cement running away into the soil with the water escaping. Any flooding of your land from neighbouring properties depends on land levels and you will have to resolve that with drainage to see it through and on it's way out.
Mike Judd

Return to Introduce Yourself