A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby Alchai » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 am

Hi there
British born (London), living in Sweden, married since 12 years with my tw. Unfortunatly, we started building our house situated 15km's out from Udon Thani before I learnt about the coolthaihouse site. We spend about 1-2 months per year in LOS and slowly push on with the house that is absolutly livable but not completed. Anyways, as they say, "you never finish building a house" so I hope we can get useful information from here when needed. Likewise I hope I can give information based on my knowledge and previous experiences.
Hope to hear from you all :)
Carl & Lak
Alchai

Re: NEW MEMBER

Postby MGV12 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:13 am

Alchai wrote:Hi there
British born (London), living in Sweden, married since 12 years with my tw. Unfortunatly, we started building our house situated 15km's out from Udon Thani before I learnt about the coolthaihouse site. We spend about 1-2 months per year in LOS and slowly push on with the house that is absolutly livable but not completed. Anyways, as they say, "you never finish building a house" so I hope we can get useful information from here when needed. Likewise I hope I can give information based on my knowledge and previous experiences.
Hope to hear from you all :)
Carl & Lak

Hi there Carl - also born in the London area.

Welcome to CTH ... glad you joined even though it's a bit late for getting help in the early stages. Hope it all works out for you and, NO, a house build is never really finished; in my experience anyway!

Any chance of posting some pics of your place and a plan perhaps?

Chok dee

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby thailazer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:20 am

Welcome Carl! I understand the ongoing house build! We are just starting this week and we plan on living in it and building it up as the years go by. We have a good crew arranged and some of the workers have already been measuring, marking, and having some animist ceremonies on the land prior to the official start blessing.

Lot's of good information and knowledgeable folks here, although not a great number of users and posters. Best of luck to you two.
thailazer

Postby Alchai » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for the welcomes folks. Good luck with the build thailazer. I'm not sure if u r on site for the start up but I would keep an eye on it till I can see they are doing the job properly. However, I'm sure you have controll over the situation!

When I have a bit more time I will post some pics and info from our build.
Alchai

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 am

Hi Carl, Hope your house is going O.K. It all depends if you are in a hurry and have to trust some-one to do it right. I love building in Thailand with the lack of Red Tape and regulations that you get in Oz or any other Western countries. How long that will last I don't know, given that most Governments want to end up controlling you from cradle to grave, especially your money.! Anyway as I said, finding some-one who will do the right thing is hard, especially if they are on a price. I prefer to get the materials myself and pay them by the day to do it right the way it should be done. But then I have had 60 yrs of building experience and I know the right and wrong way to do each job, some things I just let them get on with it their way when the end result is the same. Once you get through to them that concrete is NOT supposed to flow like soup and that it has to be vibrated or at least hammered in the forms, they are pretty innovated with the way they can get the work done with a minimum of equipment. You probably had or will have a lot of frustrations with suppliers and the Thai interpretation of the OZ "She'll be right Mate" which they have taken to another level . Apart from all that, you just have to watch every stage of the project to insure you get what you want. Good luck Mike (khon Kaen)
Mike Judd

Postby elgato » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:34 am

Welcome aboard! Let's see some pics :D
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Return to Introduce Yourself