Very close to buying land

A blurb about who you are an your interest in Thai real estate.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Very close to buying land

Postby oneday » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:43 pm

Just joined and looks like I should have been here sooner.

We are looking at 1 rai of land in Som Det, about 30 kilometers outside Kalasin on the highway to Sakon Nakon. My girl has been working furiously with her mother to look at this parcel within one kilometer of the center of Som Det and only about a 100 meters just off the main road/highway up a small dirt soi. Right now the land is planted with rice. Everyone is excited about this parcel. It's going for 250,000, but supposedly a falang next to this parcel wants it for 300,000 and other people want it for 300,000, ostensibly because of location. I heard enough to believe the 250,000 is probably a good price. The owner is willing to sell to us at 250,000 because of a connection to a good friend of my GF's mother and they started talking to us first. Nevertheless, I'll entertain comments on the price.

My concern is the shape of the land. We had the map/paper scanned and emailed to us, but because the original paper is so large the drawing came through unreadable of dimensions. Supposedly the front of the property is around 25m with the rest of the rai extending back in roughly a thin rectangle. My concern is building a house in this shape of land. Ideally the front of the house would need to fit in the 25m space, but as you move back in the plot the land gets a little wider. As of yet I don't know how wide at what point. I can see building back from the dirt soi about 15-20m for parking and a front yard. On the face of it, if the 25m is correct it would seem doable, but this is what I really needed comments on. My girl is leaving tomorrow and she will give me exact dimensions when she gets there.

Any and all helpful comments are appreciated.

Randy
oneday

Re: Very close to buying land

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:57 am

25 mtrs across is a quite wide frontage but depends on the layout and style of house you build if you went for a large bungalow you could span it ? but i would not be unhappy with that as a frontage on the pricing issue !! a piece of land like that is worth whatever you think is fair if you want it you will buy it The price could be high and the farrang ajacent a figment of someones imagination The farrang factor always seems to push up the price of surrounding plots possibly because we are more likely to pay over the odds for location / veiws ect it does not seem exessive but i do not know much at all about different regions and what would be fair or not
I think i would go with my gut if it ticks the boxes for location and available services (electricity ? water?access?)go for it if you have any doubts walk away check that you get a title deed with it and what type as i understand there are several different ones take a look at the relevant topics on the forum most people i beleive lease the land (userfruct??) for a substantial period - 30 years so you can live there if you split with the wife how feasable that would be in a village enviroment ajacent her family :? sounds risky to me
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby trader » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:31 am

oneday wrote:. Right now the land is planted with rice.

it would appear that the parcel of land will require a dirt fill expense :( (flooding )
which will increase your figures substantially

buying rice paddy feilds no matter what size and location sends shivers down my spine :D
its a buyers beware scenario :)

chokdee :D
trader

Postby thailazer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:41 pm

Trader.. It sounds like you have not set foot on the parcel and if you are serious about buying it, I would recommend you look at it yourself to see that it suits your needs. Most Moobaans that are built on rice field have to be raised about two meters with dirt trucked in and then it needs to sit two years or so to be suitable for building. Also, if you don't have a special need to build, make sure you have exhausted all the already built options out there. It seems to be a buyer's market out there right now. Up in Chiang Mai there are some tremendous places for sale.
thailazer

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:39 pm

thailazer wrote:Trader.. It sounds like you have not set foot on the parcel and if you are serious about buying it, I would recommend you look at it yourself to see that it suits your needs. Most Moobaans that are built on rice field have to be raised about two meters with dirt trucked in and then it needs to sit two years or so to be suitable for building. Also, if you don't have a special need to build, make sure you have exhausted all the already built options out there. It seems to be a buyer's market out there right now. Up in Chiang Mai there are some tremendous places for sale.

Actually you should address the OP (oneday) not trader he merely offered advice the same as my self and you
i would not be too put off because it was rice paddy !
Take a looke at RR nonthaburi
Or Fred1k sattahip Both have had to put piles
not something you would want to do because like everything it carries a cost but if that plot is in the right location you will bear that cost
fill and wait two years is a fallacy you can build imediately
geordie

Postby thailazer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Oooops! Thanks G for the correction.
thailazer

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:54 pm

thailazer wrote:Oooops! Thanks G for the correction.

No worries just happy you did not think i was being sarcastic :lol: I appear to be putting my foot in it of late
geordie

Postby Nawty » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 pm

trader wrote:

it would appear that the parcel of land will require a dirt fill expense :( (flooding )

buying rice paddy feilds no matter what size and location sends shivers down my spine :D

Why is that exactly ??

We bought 8 rai of rice land and will build on it one day soon....no fill.....design design...and in the 3 years we have had it, it has gone up considerably....way more than my land in Oz......mind you it was all about location location.....and a s**t loada luck
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby oneday » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:18 pm

geordie wrote:25 mtrs across is a quite wide frontage but depends on the layout and style of house you build if you went for a large bungalow you could span it ? but i would not be unhappy with that as a frontage on the pricing issue !! a piece of land like that is worth whatever you think is fair if you want it you will buy it The price could be high and the farrang ajacent a figment of someones imagination The farrang factor always seems to push up the price of surrounding plots possibly because we are more likely to pay over the odds for location / veiws ect it does not seem exessive but i do not know much at all about different regions and what would be fair or not
I think i would go with my gut if it ticks the boxes for location and available services (electricity ? water?access?)go for it if you have any doubts walk away check that you get a title deed with it and what type as i understand there are several different ones take a look at the relevant topics on the forum most people i beleive lease the land (userfruct??) for a substantial period - 30 years so you can live there if you split with the wife how feasable that would be in a village enviroment ajacent her family :? sounds risky to me

I looked at some random house plans of the size I envision and it does seem like 25m is wide enough to leave room around the house and the further into the plot I go the wider it gets, but probably not by much. As someone speculated I haven't seem the land. Anything I get and do up in Som Det is a gift to my girlfriend. If I live to see the house built I may only use it as a vacation home or temporary home. If we break up...it's hers free and clear so she will buy the land and it will be in her name. I really don't know where I'm going with this for myself. It's all for her. Everyone of my girl's friends and family that have seen the land love it.

Not sure what you mean by "span it". She is supposed to get me the exact dimensions tomorrow. From that I can do some figuring. I supposed if this was a western country I'd have to worry about all kinds of setbacks, but in Thailand anything goes.

My girl mentioned that some other people (Thai's) wanted the land for 300,000 also, not just the falang and "yes" it could all be bull-shit. My girl had previously found some comparable land around the same price. And as someone said land values just seem to be going up. Something else someone told me once is "they aren't making anymore land". Hell, as a matter of fact as global warming picks up speed land will start to disappear.

Thanks so much for your comment.
Last edited by oneday on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneday

Postby oneday » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 pm

trader wrote:

Apparently, there is no flooding in Som Det or at least not the kind of flooding the center of the country is experiencing now. Nevertheless, I figured it will need to be filled.

Thanks for the comment.
oneday

Postby oneday » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:26 pm

geordie wrote:
i would not be too put off because it was rice paddy !

Take a looke at RR nonthaburi
Or Fred1k sattahip Both have had to put piles

fill and wait two years is a fallacy you can build imediately

Thanks for your counter-comments on building on a rice paddy. I'm in no rush, but I'm fairly sure you can build most anywhere as long as it's engineered correctly. It's also nice to know I wouldn't have to wait that long if push came to shove.
oneday

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Oneday you are going into this with your eyes open by the response above you have weighed all the risks so its a case of as i said earlier if it tick all the boxes ? fill is not a major hurdle its cheap to buy: paddy is being built on all the time its how you build the foundation thats most important obviously that foundation has to be suitible for the house you intend to build
What i meant by span is if you built a long barn across the plot you would be spanning the plot a house or even a large bungalow should leave plenty of access to the rear of the property so will not span it :) There are some free desighns available with already aproval from the thai goverment as you have or seem to have no pre conceived notion of what you want it might pay you to browse those and you may find something perfect for a holiday home/gf house not too ostentatious and at a reasonable budget with minimum effort (saves haggling for plans )some of them look quite nice I will leave one of the members to post a link as i cannot remember at the moment ?
geordie

Postby trader » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:45 am

Nawty wrote:

Why is that exactly ??

....mind you it was all about location location.....and a s**t loada luck

thxs :) you have answered my reply ^^^ :) :lol:
trader

Postby oneday » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:09 am

geordie wrote:Oneday you are going into this with your eyes open by the response above you have weighed all the risks so its a case of as i said earlier if it tick all the boxes ? fill is not a major hurdle its cheap to buy: paddy is being built on all the time its how you build the foundation thats most important obviously that foundation has to be suitible for the house you intend to build
What i meant by span is if you built a long barn across the plot you would be spanning the plot a house or even a large bungalow should leave plenty of access to the rear of the property so will not span it :) There are some free desighns available with already aproval from the thai goverment as you have or seem to have no pre conceived notion of what you want it might pay you to browse those and you may find something perfect for a holiday home/gf house not too ostentatious and at a reasonable budget with minimum effort (saves haggling for plans )some of them look quite nice I will leave one of the members to post a link as i cannot remember at the moment ?

Thanks so much for your response. I'm feeling pretty good about this. Who knows land better than Thais, IMO. I have told my girl to get everyone she knows involved with this. She has an uncle (not really, just good friend of family) who has some knowledge about land and everyone including him is happy with the land and price. I won't really need to fill in all the land as it can be left as a rice paddy or anything else they might want to use it for someday. Only need the front yard, where the house will sit and a bit of a backyard to fill. Have plenty of time for that. It's up to my girl when she wants to do that.

Yes, I wouldn't want to span the property as you surmise. I may build close to the property line (within 2 meters) so I have good access to the back along one side of the house or if there's enough room maybe build in the middle with equal access on either side. We will see. This may be fun...in part.

As far as foundation, I know that's where it all begins and must be done right. I figure it won't hurt if they say go down 6 feet and the piling needs to be so big. I'll probably tell them dig deeper and make it a bit wider. When I built a block wall in my backyard in America I got the city approved plans and over built their specifications because I didn't want that wall coming down.

I guess it's time to move on to the "Land" portion of this forum.

Randy
oneday

Postby trader » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:59 am

geordie wrote: fill is not a major hurdle its cheap to buy:

cheap to buy???? that could be debated :D

from my experiences the prices can vary alarmingly :)

in one days case 1 rai is a very small fill and the cost is not a mountain to climb

having bought rice paddy feild land many years ago due to lack of know how i did not take into account the cost of a land fill in my negotations to purchase the plot

sure enough the land fill costs far outweighed other plots which did not require a fill

therefore my initial post on this thread was intended :D to take in land filling costs when weighing up the price of of your parcel of land that you are going to bid for :)

geordie have you bought land or done a land fill????? :D in th l.o.s
trader

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself